Protecting paint between fender and body?

bedhed

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Any ideas for protecting the clear coat and base coat between the fender flares and body? I took mine off the other day and noticed that the area has gotten pretty bad. Several spots are now showing the primer. I've been trying to think of a way to seal the gap so that it keeps sand from getting lodged in-between (something and the body).

My first thought was to use a stick-on, foam type weather stripping, but I don't imaging that would survive for long. Then I thought about cutting out some ABS to fit between the two, looking pretty much the same as the rear mount(?) that's used for the Metalcloak fenders. I feel like that could do the job, but if there's something else that can do the job just as well without going through the work of making the ABS pieces, that would be even better.

Any ideas? Has anyone already tackled this problem?

Could just sand, mask off, prime, and paint.

Could just sand, mask off, prime, and paint.
Yeah, and it really wouldn't be a bad idea to do that to prevent further damage, regardless of what route I end up taking with this. I don't think there are any spots that have gotten down to metal, yet. But, I don't want it getting down that far if I can help it.

With repainting though, I know that reaching the same problem is inevitable. So, I'd like to come up with something that puts this problem to a stop. Something more permanent.

You could always put on some paint protection film ;)
That crossed my mind too. I haven't ever used it though, so that left me wondering how durable it is or how resistant it is to abrasion. Think it would be pretty resistant to those damn lodged-in grains of sand?

That crossed my mind too. I haven't ever used it though, so that left me wondering how durable it is or how resistant it is to abrasion. Think it would be pretty resistant to those damn lodged-in grains of sand?

I've used it on almost every vehicle I've ever owned. It's incredible resistant to abrasion. It would indeed be perfect for those areas, yes!

I've used it on almost every vehicle I've ever owned. It's incredible resistant to abrasion. It would indeed be perfect for those areas, yes!
Sweet!! Is there any brand that you'd recommend? I'll look it up, but do they sell different thicknesses?

On a side note, I've been thinking about this stuff for quite a while. Mainly for the top of the front fenders, where the hood latches hit. I tend to "flick" them open pretty often. Not good for the clear coat, but something oddly satisfying about it prevents me from stopping.

Sweet!! Is there any brand that you'd recommend? I'll look it up, but do they sell different thicknesses?

On a side note, I've been thinking about this stuff for quite a while. Mainly for the top of the front fenders, where the hood latches hit. I tend to "flick" them open pretty often. Not good for the clear coat, but something oddly satisfying about it prevents me from stopping.

Xpel is the best stuff IMHO. I don't know the thickness off the top of my head, but it's almost invisible when applied properly. It will also hold up to some pretty serious abuse.

I did my entire Corvette Z06 in this stuff. The ENTIRE vehicle!

• Wow
Reactions: bedhed
Wow! Okay, yeah that should do the job. Thanks for that info.

You didn't have any problems with it being showing swirl marks from washing the car? I haven't dealt with wraps much, but it seems like the vinyl would scratch easily.

As for the Jeep, do you guys not have this problem? I know it's early in the thread, but I'm getting the feeling like I'm flying solo with this issue.

Here's the idea that I was having with what I mentioned before. I understand their purpose in having that overhanging lip. Works great for getting the fender flare pulled in snug to the body, until lodged-in sand starts deforming it's edges.

I'm definitely going to order some of that protective film, but still kicking this thought around for ideas. A back-up plan for the back-up plan.

Or completely taking this way too far. That is highly possible.

Fenders.jpg