PSA - OEM Rubicon Locker Air Pump

ccg_ga

One of the pumps for my rear OEM Rubicon locker is bad, and I have spent the last day trying to track down an OEM replacement. Everywhere I checked said the part is discontinued and no one had it in stock.

I called my local dealer as a long shot and they did not have it, but checked inventory across the US and according to the computer Columbiana J/D/R in Columbiana has 14 of them.

I paid for it over the phone and they are shipping it out UPS today. Price is $230 plus shipping.

Here is the dealer info in case anyone else needs a replacement pump:

Mopar Part Number: 05127836AA

https://www.columbianachryslerjeepdodge.net/contactus.aspx
Parts Department: 1-866-543-7904

Hopefully this is of help for anyone in a similar situation.

Darn, I wish you would have searched this site first, could have saved you some money. The following vehicles have the pump. All you need to do is swap your connector cavity to the replacement pump. Any wrecking yard has one of these vehicles.

Chevy Tracker all models 4wd 99 – 04 Suzuki Vitara, Grand Vitara XL, KIA Sorento, Kia Borrego, Kia Mohave, Kia BONGO MITUSBISHI Montero, L200, TRITON, SPORTERO, STRADA, PAJERO, MONTERO SPORT, NATIVA 1997 – 2012, CHALLENGER 2010, Shogun Pajero Jeep Rubicon.

Reactions: rasband and Chris
Darn, I wish you would have searched this site first, could have saved you some money. The following vehicles have the pump. All you need to do is swap your connector cavity to the replacement pump. Any wrecking yard has one of these vehicles.

Chevy Tracker all models 4wd 99 – 04 Suzuki Vitara, Grand Vitara XL, KIA Sorento, Kia Borrego, Kia Mohave, Kia BONGO MITUSBISHI Montero, L200, TRITON, SPORTERO, STRADA, PAJERO, MONTERO SPORT, NATIVA 1997 – 2012, CHALLENGER 2010, Shogun Pajero Jeep Rubicon.

X2 to this (y)

Thanks for sharing though @ccg_ga

@Daryl @Chris

Thanks gents, I did see some of those threads when searching the site last night. Most of the threads that I looked at mentioned pulling the pump from one of the Kia models.

I wasn't sure if those were direct OEM replacements - didn't get quite that far and ended up jumping at the new one from the OH dealer after the call to my local dealership.

This is good to know regardless in case I need another pump in the future. I saw where one guy rigged up an ARB compressor with a 5 PSI regulator - looks like a nice setup as well.

Thanks for the replies!

Reactions: Chris
@Daryl @Chris

Thanks gents, I did see some of those threads when searching the site last night. Most of the threads that I looked at mentioned pulling the pump from one of the Kia models.

I wasn't sure if those were direct OEM replacements - didn't get quite that far and ended up jumping at the new one from the OH dealer after the call to my local dealership.

This is good to know regardless in case I need another pump in the future. I saw where one guy rigged up an ARB compressor with a 5 PSI regulator - looks like a nice setup as well.

Thanks for the replies!

Others have used the Kia pumps and I believe they are indeed a direct replacement, yes. Either way, at least you got a new pump. If my lockers fail, I'm just going to switch over to Eaton e-lockers and do away with the pumps altogether.

Others have used the Kia pumps and I believe they are indeed a direct replacement, yes. Either way, at least you got a new pump. If my lockers fail, I'm just going to switch over to Eaton e-lockers and do away with the pumps altogether.

So I as I was searching around last night I start thinking, well maybe it's time to just build some 60's and ditch the factory lockers... that makes financial sense, right?

Glad to get a new pump though, now the rear locker better work once I install it.

• Haha
Reactions: taylormade73
So I as I was searching around last night I start thinking, well maybe it's time to just build some 60's and ditch the factory lockers... that makes financial sense, right?

Glad to get a new pump though, now the rear locker better work once I install it.

Haha, yeah, that can't hurt! Just be prepared to go down a rabbit hole of epic proportions to fit those 60s ;)

If its just the pump that goes out, 40 dollars at the UPull is cheaper than an Eaton locker!

Reactions: Daryl
So I might have jumped the gun on the pump being the issue entirely.

I rigged up my air compressor and set it to a low PSI this evening, pulled the air line off of the locker actuator air input in the diff housing, and tried to shoot air from the rear output line to see if it was flowing through freely. It wasn't, so I then removed the air line from the nipple on the outside of the housing and shot air again, it did flow through.

So next, I attached a short piece of hose to the nipple on the outside of the housing, shot air to see if it flowed through into air line on the inside of the housing. It did not.

After that I removed the air line off the nipple in the inside of the housing and shot air through just that length of hose. Air also flowed through it fine.

Last, I took the air line from the interior of the housing and attached it to the nipple on the outside of the housing. Shot the air again and got nothing through in inside nipple... which suggests the problem is actually in the metal nipple/line that passes through the axle housing.

Has anyone else run into the issue being the nipple itself? Is it even replaceable? My thought was that some fine dirt or rock was picked up at some point and it's clogging the airway from the nipple to the inside of the axle housing.

I haven't seen any threads or mentions to this specific issue, so any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking maybe jack up the PSI from the compressor and try and blow whatever is lodged in there free.

Last edited:
So I might have jumped the gun on the pump being the issue entirely.

I rigged up my air compressor and set it to a low PSI this evening, pulled the air line off of the locker actuator air input in the diff housing, and tried to shoot air from the rear output line to see if it was flowing through freely. It wasn't, so I then removed the air line from the nipple on the outside of the housing and shot air again, it did flow through.

So next, I attached a short piece of hose to the nipple on the outside of the housing, shot air to see if it flowed through into air line on the inside of the housing. It did not.

After that I removed the air line off the nipple in the inside of the housing and shot air through just that length of hose. Air also flowed through it fine.

Last, I took the air line from the interior of the housing and attached it to the nipple on the outside of the housing. Shot the air again and got nothing through in inside nipple... which suggests the problem is actually in the metal nipple/line that passes through the axle housing.

Has anyone else run into the issue being the nipple itself? Is it even replaceable? My thought was that some fine dirt or rock was picked up at some point and it's clogging the airway from the nipple to the inside of the axle housing.

I haven't seen any threads or mentions to this specific issue, so any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking maybe jack up the PSI from the compressor and try and blow whatever is lodged in there free.
Run a length of mechanics wire through the nipple.

I need to update that thread! Yeah the nipple on both front and rear axles had rusted out so I ended up fabricating new ones. I need to do a write up of how I did it, I just haven't stopped long enough to do it yet.

That would be awesome. I saw someone referenced this post in the Rubicon Owners Forum where a guy fabricated replacements as well.

https://www.rubiconownersforum.com/threads/axle-locker-air-fitting-repair.65141/

If you did it a different way that would be great to have also. I ended up blowing out the fitting with about 50-75 PSI and running a piece of 14 gauge solid wire with the insulating stripped off through it. It appears to be clear, so hopefully not rusted but TBD when I hook the pump up again...

Update and to close the loop on this thread - I was able to get the rear locker working again.

The fix ended up being both replacing the pump for the rear locker and cleaning out the air fitting in the axle housing. I cleaned the air fitting as described in my post above.

Raider Polyurethane Fuel Gas Line Tubing Hose Roll Blue (5 Ft. x 3/16 In.)

I had to replace the air line in the housing as well, and used the line above (in the photo). One note on the line - the outside diameter of this line is close to the factory air line (~.30") but it is much stiffer than the factory air line piece. I tried to get it to bend so I could run it through the retaining clip inside the housing, but it kinked the line too much up at the air fitting inside.

IMG_7765.jpg

Last edited:
I got another brand replacement pump, any tips on swapping the connectors?
Take a terminal release tool and remove the contact from the cavity. Look for a slot molded into the cavity and insert the appropriate release tool into the slot to bend the tang of the contact while pushing the wire into the cavity. Once the tang is bent enough pull on the wire to remove from the cavity.
71407EF0-3204-4F62-8E5B-FAEDA102B9DF.png

Last edited:
I got another brand replacement pump, any tips on swapping the connectors?

I didn't have to replace the connectors but I did have to modify one of them on the new Mopar OEM pump to fit into the harness on my 04. I have a couple of photos of the one I modified if that is of any help, I can post them here.