psrivats' 2005 TJ Rubicon mild build

Let me know @Chris, would love to meet you in person and talk Jeep. I would be curious to hear your thoughts on my TJ's ride quality.

Thanks for your compliments on the build. I've taken a lot of information and inspiration from your old TJ and current TJ.

Yes, I'll let you know via PM, but it should be this Saturday around noonish!

These things looks so good on factory Moab wheels!

I think we have similar needs that we are looking to get out of our Jeeps. I loved the half door photos and quite a few of other things you posted. Since you've had a JK, do you think owning and driving that influenced you on your TJ build?
I didn't end up keeping the half doors after all, it was just too much trouble swapping them out for the full, plus not having a place to store them, really.

The first JK I had, which was a Rubicon, I went wild, with bumpers, suspension, track bars, steering, some armor, several sets of wheels and tires, etc. The next JK I learned that most of that was not really necessary for what I used the Jeep for, and just did a leveling kit, a set of tires, and called it a day and was happy with that.

This TJ is turning out to be somewhere in the middle. It's just so hard to own one and not make it 'better'. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Just dropped the TJ at Jeep West for my re-gear (4.10 to 4.88). I also decided to get chromoly axle shafts as well since it's all coming out anyway. I'm told it'll be ready by end of the week.

Let's see how it goes! I'll post my observations here. I'm excited.

Your going to be very happy with the 4.88. Especially in low range.

Reactions: psrivats
I ordered the MORYDE heavy duty hinges (not the entire kit, just the hinges) today from Retrofit Offroad (Part# JP54-025). After doing a lot of reading, I figured the full MORYDE/Exogate kit is perhaps too much for my Jeep with 32s on factory rims. I also like the fact that I can get the rest of the MORYDE kit later if I find it that the hinges alone don't cut it. I will post my thought after I get and install them.

Reactions: JMT
You'll like it after the re-gear. I'm dropping my TJ off at Jeep West on the 20th. Dave said he'll need it for at least a few weeks since it's a big project.

You'll like it after the re-gear. I'm dropping my TJ off at Jeep West on the 20th. Dave said he'll need it for at least a few weeks since it's a big project.
Any way you can have him document the build with photos? It would be interesting to see how he does it and I would assume a great marketing move on his part.

Any way you can have him document the build with photos? It would be interesting to see how he does it and I would assume a great marketing move on his part.

@Chris I was also going to suggest this. Not sure if Dave will have the time though, but perhaps you can convince him to chime in your thread after the build at least!

I know for sure he'll take some photos for me during the process, but he's so busy that getting him to full on document it would be impossible unfortunately.

@Chris I was also going to suggest this. Not sure if Dave will have the time though, but perhaps you can convince him to chime in your thread after the build at least!

Yeah, I'll see if I can convince him of that! At the least I'll be able to get him to take progress photos.

Dave just called me and said he wants to hang on to the Jeep longer :( He told me he drove it a good bit yesterday after the regear and sensed a small vibration issue that he hasn't been unable to pinpoint the cause of. So he's going to try and rootcause it and fix it for me. I was hoping this would go smoothly but ah well. At least I have someone like Dave who's taking care of it.

• Sad
Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Dave just called me and said he wants to hang on to the Jeep longer :( He told me he drove it a good bit yesterday after the regear and sensed a small vibration issue that he hasn't been unable to pinpoint the cause of. So he's going to try and rootcause it and fix it for me. I was hoping this would go smoothly but ah well. At least I have someone like Dave who's taking care of it.

At least he is fixing it for you! Some shops wouldn't even bother unless you pointed it out.

Let me know if he figures out the vibe.

At least he is fixing it for you! Some shops wouldn't even bother unless you pointed it out.

Dave is a pretty standup guy. He has the reputation he has because he does a really good job.

Let me know if he figures out the vibe.

I will ask him what caused it and how he fixed it ... I told him to take as much time as he needs. I am pretty confident he will fix it.

Now I am going to spend the weekend reading vibration threads, drive myself crazy and then ask a lot of stupid questions :rolleye:

Reactions: bobthetj03
Dave is a pretty standup guy. He has the reputation he has because he does a really good job.

I will ask him what caused it and how he fixed it ... I told him to take as much time as he needs. I am pretty confident he will fix it.

Now I am going to spend the weekend reading vibration threads, drive myself crazy and then ask a lot of stupid questions :rolleye:

Oh he'll fix it alright. That's why I like Dave, you can actually trust him!

Good luck. I'm sure he'll fix it.

I'm debating if I want to go straight to locking hubs when I have Dave regear mine.

Thanks, I'm sure Dave will diagnose and fix the problem. He's pretty knowledgeable so I'm not worried.

What gears are running now and what do you plan to go to? With or without lockers? Locking hubs are not a bad idea at all if you are ok with the periodic maintenance. It'll be less wear and tear for sure.