psrivats' 2005 TJ Rubicon mild build

Stock, 4.10s, factory lockers. I have the same size tires you have, and I will go up to 285/75 in the future.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the 4.88 gears. I *think* I will go 5.13.

Stock, 4.10s, factory lockers. I have the same size tires you have, and I will go up to 285/75 in the future.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the 4.88 gears. I *think* I will go 5.13.

For that tire size, 5.13s for sure. I agonized over this for weeks and decided that I'll stick to my metric 32s. I'll definitely post my thoughts once I get the Jeep back. Hoping next week, but let's see. Are you planning to get chromoly shafts too?

I have been thinking about replacing my front and rear bumpers (currently running OEMs without the milk jugs). I have a rear trailer hitch (carry my bike rack in the summer) and I want a rear bumper that has the trailer hitch integrated into it. My current 265/75R16s rub on the rear bumper just a bit which I don't like.

After a lot of consideration and reading (and inspired by @glwood's thread), I called up Robert at Dirtworx and talked to him. Decided to go with both front/rear bumpers from him (with no hoops on the front). The price shipped for this combo is <500 and I think it goes well with my build theme. With these and the beefier MORYDE hinges, I think I will be much less paranoid.

edit: I also ordered a set of frame tie-ins.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about replacing my front and rear bumpers (currently running OEMs without the milk jugs). I have a rear trailer hitch (carry my bike rack in the summer) and I want a rear bumper that has the trailer hitch integrated into it. My current 265/75R16s rub on the rear bumper just a bit which I don't like.

After a lot of consideration and reading (and inspired by @glwood's thread), I called up Robert at Dirtworx and talked to him. Decided to go with both front/rear bumpers from him (with no hoops on the front). The price shipped for this combo is <500 and I think it goes well with my build theme. With these and the beefier MORYDE hinges, I think I will be much less paranoid.

edit: I also ordered a set of frame tie-ins.
You will not be disappointed with the Dirtworx bumpers, I can assure you of that.

You will not be disappointed with the Dirtworx bumpers, I can assure you of that.

They seem to be great value for money, plus Robert was so nice to talk to and deal with. Your detailed photos helped a lot with my decision. I just need to figure out how to get it painted, it already started raining here :( I got the Poison Spyder frame tie ins from recommendations from a different post as well. Once I get the jeep back from the regear and all is well, I will install everything.

I wonder if you could check something out for me when you have your Rubicon back...the Teraflex site says their front track bar is for lifts 3"+, which I am not at. I wrote to TF and and awaiting their reply, but want to know if it will work with a slightly smaller lift. You may be able to tell if you look at yours, as in, could it be adjusted shorter than it is now...a shot in the dark...

I wonder if you could check something out for me when you have your Rubicon back...the Teraflex site says their front track bar is for lifts 3"+, which I am not at. I wrote to TF and and awaiting their reply, but want to know if it will work with a slightly smaller lift. You may be able to tell if you look at yours, as in, could it be adjusted shorter than it is now...a shot in the dark...

Sure, will do. I'll send you photos so that you can see. I also have a 2.5" lift and not quite at 3".

Reactions: Chris
Sure, will do. I'll send you photos so that you can see. I also have a 2.5" lift and not quite at 3".
Jake Peterson @ Teraflex, [email protected] said, in response to my email:

Dear Teraflex,

I am wondering if TJ/LJ | ZJ | XJ Adjustable Front Track Bar Kit SKU 1743022 can be used on a TJ Rubicon with an OME light duty spring lift (2-2.25"). Description of the track bar says for lifts 3" +, which I don't quite have that much. Thank you.

Yes sir, that will work just fine.

Cheers,

JAKE PETERSON | | TERAFLEX

Sales & Customer Service

direct: 801-783-5214 ph: 801-713-3314

5680 W Dannon Way, West Jordan, UT 84081

Reactions: psrivats
Any updates over here? You gotta come to Moab in April when you finally have this thing back!!

I have enough to write a sad novel :risas3: Likely going back to 4.10s. I'll post a lengthy update soon ..

MOAB .. I need to drive and learn on much milder local stuff first. But I would love to ride shotgun. I'm not even sure I'm a capable spotter :risas3:

Reactions: IPerkWVU and Chris
Likely going back to 4.10s.

Anchorman-2-The-Legend-Continue-Ron-Burgundy-Will-Ferrell-Ah-Shit-Gif.gif

I have enough to write a sad novel :risas3: Likely going back to 4.10s. I'll post a lengthy update soon ..

MOAB .. I need to drive and learn on much milder local stuff first. But I would love to ride shotgun. I'm not even sure I'm a capable spotter :risas3:

Moab is one of the best places to learn how to wheel. You can bypass everything remotely difficult on all the famous trails. When I was 17, Moab was the first place I went less than a month after my Jeep was lifted. First day there I ran "Fins and Things" and "Hells Revenge". Second day I ran "Poison Spider". None of those trails are difficult if you're smart and your Jeep is setup well. If you're looking to learn I would definitely consider going to Moab.

Moab is one of the best places to learn how to wheel. You can bypass everything remotely difficult on all the famous trails. When I was 17, Moab was the first place I went less than a month after my Jeep was lifted. First day there I ran "Fins and Things" and "Hells Revenge". Second day I ran "Poison Spider". None of those trails are difficult if you're smart and your Jeep is setup well. If you're looking to learn I would definitely consider going to Moab.

I did not know what and I definitely want to go someday for sure.

I really wish we could get one of the original design engineers (like Jim Frens) to participate and explain the design limitations regarding axle gearing.
It sure seems that there should be more of an answer than "oh, you just got one of THOSE jeeps" (where everyone else you know has re-geared without issue, but yours is the exception).

Last edited:
I really wish we could get one of the original design engineers (like Jim Frens) to participate and explain the design limitations regarding axle gearing.
There really aren't any. You are just a bit sensitive due to all the issues you have had. That said, I looked for your thread to give another data point. Buddy I helped with his 98 which we built into a 2000 with a 98 title had to have a 241. He has been fighting a harmonic that won't go away. He has been poking around the edges for months and last night I finally nailed him down as to what his vibes consist of. After some pointed questions, I finally got out of him that it is indeed the harmonic we see from time to time. 32RH, 35's, 4.88's, 241, mid arm and they did not start until we raised the belly skid. They were not present with the factory skid.