psrivats' 2005 TJ Rubicon mild build

Finally making headway on a mod that I've wanted to do for a long time - installing switch pods from 97-02 TJs into my 05 Jeep. Daily driven TJ shows how to do it on 97-02 Jeep but I could not find anything on how to do this for 03-06 Jeeps, or even if anyone had even attempted it before.

The curvature on the older switch panel is slightly different than the 03-06 dash bezel so this took a bit of careful sanding/trimming work. I actually bought a very cheap used dash from a local CL part-out to practice on so that I don't mess up mine. The passenger side power outlet need a bit of trimming as well but nothing terrible.

I still need to do little bit more shimming and fitting to get them to sit evenly, but here's proof that this can indeed be done on 03-06 models. I will prep and paint the switch pods with SEM paint, the colors don't quite match and I know it'll bug me later.

I'm planning to add independent lockers switches and a winch switch (driver side pod) and passenger side will have the the rear wiper, defrost and trans OD switches. I'll post a photo later when all the workis finished up. The goal is to have it OEM looking.

IMG_20200827_113829.jpg

Finished up the independent lockers install and a couple @jjvw inspired mods 🤣.

I chose to retain the factory safety settings for the lockers (yes, I am aware most people enable lockers in any case position). I let other people drive my Jeep on occasion and I did not want any accidental mishap. I made sure the dash lights come on just like with the factory switch. I did have to build a small custom circuit to get the lights on the aftermarket switches to light up when turning the lockers on.

I also put in a switch for the winch such that it will only get energized with ignition key in on position, and the switch itself is turned on. Pretty straightforward install, nothing complex.

I also had my local shop put in a transmission temperature gauge. I bought the Autometer 8457 on eBay for $90. Came with everything I needed. I also had them install the Doorman replacement pan (with a drain plug) at the same time and new filter/fluids. The sensor for the gauge is plumbed into the return line from the transmission cooler (PSC MBC100 dual cooler kit). The gauge was installed on the center console right in front of the ebrake handle. The needle is visible and that's all I need to see. After few hwy runs, I see that the temperature reads just above 150 mostly. The hottest I've seen so far is 160-165, but I have not been on steep hwy climbs or offroad yet. I'll update when I've had more time to test and observe.

Here's how everything looks inside the cabin. I've also shared the circuit I built.

PXL_20200922_042037354.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg

PXL_20200922_042004758.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg

IMG_20200918_171426.jpg

Last edited:
I also put in two things that I've always wanted after seeing other people's builds, because why not!

The first is the Cadillac 4-note horns. I got them from eBay. These horns are really awesome .. they are loud without being obnoxious and it definitely gets people's attention. I had help from my neighbor who put 3 small tack weld spots to put two of them together. The other two, I just mounted on the inner fender where I found space.

I also put in the GM retractable light with an LED inside it. This will come handy when I go camping if the need ever arises. The length of the cord is very impressive.

PXL_20200922_041818728.jpg

PXL_20200922_041751392.jpg

PXL_20200922_041746150.jpg

Last edited:
There is only one big item left for my Jeep at this point of time, the Rubicrawler. Really overkill for my use case but I got a very good deal on it thanks to @Chris who alerted me when someone on the forum posted it for sale. I don't think I will have bought it otherwise.

I am going to have my local shop eventually install this but after a small modification. I will share the details when it's finished sometime in the near future. The goal is to get this done and the Jeep all buttoned up before end of October.

I know it's cooky talk, but the build might finish after this 🤣🤣

I think the Rubicrawler is a great addition to your build, the 10.88 to 1 ratio might be overkill but the addition of 2.72 to a Rubicon model makes it more versatile in the sand, mud, and snow.
Yes, this. There are many times when I wish I had the 2.72 mid-low range.

I think the Rubicrawler is a great addition to your build, the 10.88 to 1 ratio might be overkill but the addition of 2.72 to a Rubicon model makes it more versatile in the sand, mud, and snow.

Yes, this. There are many times when I wish I had the 2.72 mid-low range.

That's really the only reason I got that thing. I don't care about the low low range at all, but the 2.72 can be very useful.

I see 35s in your future 😉

Kidding of course 😆

You'll never see me running 35s. Simply don't need that big a rig. Dave built the suspension to take 33s with very little (if any) modifications if I ever want to try slightly larger tires. I'm tempted to go 255/85/R16 (essentially 33x9.5) next time around but that's a long ways off.

Right now the plan is to finish building and then go places 🙂

Last edited:
Spent the afternoon @pcoplin's shop, adding LSCs to my shocks. I learnt a lot about shocks just watching Paul do his magic.

I'm really amazed how much effect shock valving can have on the ride quality. I thought I understood before, but having shocks tuned and going for test drives gives you a whole new level of education and perspective. Shocks really are everything, my eyes were opened today.

Thanks for your time, hospitality and the education Paul! Looking forward to meeting you (and Trevor) again and dialing this to perfection.

I whole heartedly recommend talking to Paul if you are wanting to get tuned shocks for your builds.

This weekend with a friends' help I finished building a simple platform for the rear. The top surface is flush with the tool box (so that my friends' dog can be comfortable there). All day hiking gear can all go underneath the "box". Nothing is bolted down since there is not much place for things to move or shift with the tailgate closed. On the left is the 20 qt slim cooler that is perfect size for the TJ. I was very careful with the toolbox size and the cooler size selection early on since I wanted to maximize the rear space. Not shown is a milk crate that sits behind the drivers seat and secured with bungees to the toolbox (a place for our dirty boots). These pieces all fit well together. I will put some black paint on the wood, think it will look better that way.

nirAupT-Bl0WIB3WLdBOHnSEvxgC8gzvqsQjth9ExodmuUbR5Qm8aOR-gRNt9SIR6ATTcoRjNNSYj_YE9Rvr-yejKY_p30aQclxPLFSOVg-mRZtr6vQ-NtomZoGlSIAsDEgChl3y92QqSH8ZqyIvcgJl7u9fH8_sPn1VvnB2lCWzLqVTwU86tqrICqpdHzN25Ml4vHYKQXMy8kHUVGsGb0hig1R0n2iT7ub3XyWmR387RSp9_50si4rzp86ovDVRnLRlF8UVVvQBMS017svNudE9_2cNCgDw3wG-DSJqjV0u9TyP6WblUAAPWL80p8b1nhYqfr9UR9WLpIWEaSecRVpMRPw9UaXftY5EAkAFW2EyACL228321PcG8sUPTop-m9TLx2ikwWbyu0Kmjr3iJspdheMXEffIOrzEMVZTDp4Zm5s-78aFIR-fDae55YguWw73ZJdD5-IPI0kwFQdq0hlltFwwhlkLOsf9tf4ykQzxMHjCas_j5u77HOM_JIH0P5tzdc8XuaTr4Op5FG7_nheVZJ4O4AMFHbN3xu44B81ZQze4F-craPK_JrJXLlPz1GsMU7gApC4LKMkv40O-919TvzlCxdKfrVjQUiB3T1IR-glT1sVqjkRB3lfiomgSMkfZflbLxWw-6lXQvUSa6nKgmpCOTsj1f9n8OgyN4qfri4cnv5CmmF7MrCmo2Q=w1410-h1057-no

4ScS9ZFlr3Vk6LwplrUIuhNxIKuvDkEK7ehzNhCu9gxwwk-m7LCKdIrEe1d2aCNjzJPEEiYHK_oaHpvk2P6x73v6QUmwYcxW_l1k3G0fqDbD4VqZpluZPsO1X9_4gfzuSh9qG8y--kiStVDXl9V63waDQgdt0PtB9417ATVHX-P-fUX8l34iugJMhGCKnK7lep2SlK3dtRCxMnDF4nmH041_WuF4YfWLgqrO4c1kLAdIHwoTtF2U5drRJU88opMKu4DGlOwEfoA_tWicDRCxQYmSfQ-8Ds1if6HjOiT6tJIncExkFLrKec12caFbH_tXg31DxI9BWIbGIGlN6tpTB2YBhaGh0YQjwq7HzKWLx4MlkcU3IAAoM9hC2hR17E4jS8m4OCnsvr0hF6kjf2gMSmlBw1DRD28xATuxKP58m4cL9yx96Yp8CH7BXLEsrlFwM3de8CA6-eTOpBfBremTqhyLlQPbkgGe6N94KZOC1asPnHCuFwa13SmYfj77SG6IP6c74G5WeWZcXVndmfci9u8PXuEhbk80p7EVA8GfyxtfNGW_iweFHUXnnYbi_Ti6C-Zhf5GOgu-KIveJUV9gcyw9yLbDhihTphQQvp0ipI-YlGifNhxUSr4SFlgu_YzV2SG0L0ujf-VhO5NkDHUJ4jsijMO9A9cf03cl1FGY3L1gazgW5g0rswGTg22YbQ=w1410-h1057-no

Also, this morning I dropped the jeep off today at my local mechanics' for the RubiCrawler install. This is the last "big ticket" for my Jeep. Really overkill as I have mentioned before .. but I could not pass up the price I got it for. I am making one customization though - I do not like the shift levers that AA sends, I feel it looks out of place. I am working with a local machine shop to make more stock looking shift levers :) Will post an update when that all that is finished :)

The Rubicrawler is installed and you still have vibes?

I was just about to update here 🙂

The rubicrawler is installed. The vibes have changed somehow. I had the driveshafts checked (again) since the were out during the install. Driveline shop said they were as good as they can be. Post install, I had the shop test with rear ds only, and then rear+front ds. Without front driveshaft they are pretty much gone, like most other people report.

I'm now thinking about hubs.

• Wow
Reactions: zebra12 and Wildman
You'll never see me running 35s. Simply don't need that big a rig. Dave built the suspension to take 33s with very little (if any) modifications if I ever want to try slightly larger tires. I'm tempted to go 255/85/R16 (essentially 33x9.5) next time around but that's a long ways off.

Right now the plan is to finish building and then go places 🙂

You say this now but!!! I built my TJ for 35" tires and told myself I'd never go any bigger. 2 years later I'm slapping 38x12.5" tires onto my rig. I'd tried following some guys with bigger tires and got hung up.
It never seems to end. We are always wrenching on these things.

Reactions: DrDmoney