PTO winches, anyone?

Sundowner

Compliment Dispenser
Supporting Member
Any knowledge or experience to share, regarding them? I've somehow never used one, but I'm considering looking for one to install on my '51 project truck...because evidently, already having four shift levers isn't enough. The only reason I would go with a PTO would be for vintage authenticity's sake, but I'm not opposed to the idea of a big, goofy vintage Warn stuck on the front. So...any experiences or opinions?

PTO winches look nice at car shows. They are also very useful for farming. For off road recovery they are difficult. They are tied to engine speed. You can't easily use the engine to help as you are winching because they are tied together, control is next to impossible. They work well in very simple recovery situations and not much else, like I said they look nice.

Back in the 80's a good friend and I went off roading in deep snow together a lot. He had a 58 cj5 with a lot of nice parts and a pto winch. I think it was a Ramsey, rated at 9,000#. We used it often, and it worked very well. As I recall his pto was on the transfer case which gave him four winch speeds. ( I can't remember if it worked in both high and low range, if it did that would have given eight speeds. ) Which at the time I thought was pretty darn handy. That winch really pulled.

B

Reactions: billiebob
My first shop job, 1971? was a helper installing Tulsa PTO Winches on resource trucks. They were bulletproof. But only worked if the engine was running. Otherwise, I'd have to say I prefer them over electric winches. Kind of nice to let out the clutch and everything is engaged. Real nice to control winch speed with the accelerator. All the PTO winches we used were worm & roller. No brake required. Nothing to fail. Never overheat it.

We also installed the big 30plus ton winches on oil field trucks.

Nothing says old school more than a PTO winch.

Back then the winch was supplied without power. You added a PTO drive or a hydrallic drive or an electric drive as a separate item. Only a few came as complete electric packages. Like the Tulsa 5E.

100_7249.jpg

Last edited:
I have no experience but here's my opinion:

This thread is worthless without pics of your '51 project truck.

I don't post pictures of my Jeeps online anymore, but if I can remember to do it - and I often don't, so you may have to remind me - I'll PM you one.

PTO winches look nice at car shows. They are also very useful for farming. For off road recovery they are difficult. They are tied to engine speed. You can't easily use the engine to help as you are winching because they are tied together, control is next to impossible. They work well in very simple recovery situations and not much else, like I said they look nice.

This truck won't be in a lot of "off-road recovery" situations; the maximum extent would be a simple bog-down in a washed-out service road. A lot of the usage will be closer to "farming" than anything else. That said, my initial sentiments mirror yours.

Back in the 80's a good friend and I went off roading in deep snow together a lot. He had a 58 cj5 with a lot of nice parts and a pto winch. I think it was a Ramsey, rated at 9,000#. We used it often, and it worked very well. As I recall his pto was on the transfer case which gave him four winch speeds. ( I can't remember if it worked in both high and low range, if it did that would have given eight speeds. ) Which at the time I thought was pretty darn handy. That winch really pulled.

I'm not sure about the Ramsey winches on the late 50's CJ's, but I know the earlier ones on the early 50's trucks - my truck is a 473, for reference - came off the overdrive/PTO port on the Dana 18, and the D18 transfer case has a High-Neutral-Low shifter for engagement...so it seems like there would only be the one winch speed available, and that would be "whatever RPM the engine is set at." I need to do some more research on this, though, because you may be right; I also know that there are some overdrive units that had a built-in PTO adapter, so you could run both the overdrive and the PTO from the same port. I can't recall which version of the overdrive I have; it's in a box, and I need to dig out the box.

My first shop job, 1971? was a helper installing Tulsa PTO Winches on resource trucks. They were bulletproof. But only worked if the engine was running. Otherwise, I'd have to say I prefer them over electric winches. Kind of nice to let out the clutch and everything is engaged. Real nice to control winch speed with the accelerator. All the PTO winches we used were worm & roller. No brake required. Nothing to fail. Never overheat it.

We also installed the big 30plus ton winches on oil field trucks.

Nothing says old school more than a PTO winch.

Back then the winch was supplied without power. You added a PTO drive or a hydrallic drive or an electric drive as a separate item. Only a few came as complete electric packages. Like the Tulsa 5E.

If I'm not mistaken, some of the early CJ's came with a throttle setting on the dash specifically to help control PTO speed; I'll have to look into that, as well. I do like the old-school appeal, and this particular truck is as much of a working, daily-driven truck as it is a restoration - and believe me, it needs a LOT of restoration - and as I said, it's not going to be placed into a lot of severe off-road situations; that's just not what it's being built to do. The end goal is for it to be a work truck for my wife's business (she's a beekeeper) that we can use as a vehicle and a form of advertising; a 50's style work-truck with lettered doors and a hand-painted logo and a cute girl driving it is a hell of a way to get some attention. It'll need a bit more power under the hood to be able to go more than 55MPH, so I know there's an eventual engine swap in the works, but most of the rest of it - i.e. whether or not we add a winch to it - is up in the air and not critical to function. Sure, I want whatever we do to work and be useful, but since it's not an off-road toy the options for that kind of stuff open up a bit. It's all conjecture for now, but since some of these parts can be hard to find, I'm trying to get my ducks in a row at the beginning of the project, so I can snap up deals when I find them...even if I'm not up to that point in the build, yet.

Reactions: Steven_Olson
The end goal is for it to be a work truck for my wife's business (she's a beekeeper) that we can use as a vehicle and a form of advertising; a 50's style work-truck with lettered doors and a hand-painted logo and a cute girl driving it is a hell of a way to get some attention.
And a business write off too....

And a business write off too....

A totally legit one, too. We live next to a semi-historic small town, and although small-town politics has ruined a lot of it, there's genuine interest in local business and local events...and one of the local events is a twice-weekly farmer's market that's right in the middle of the being-restored downtown area. Pull up to that in a '51 Willys flatbed with a bunch of jars of honey, and you'll do well...at least, we hope to do well. The main point, however, is recognition; people need to see the vehicle, see the logo and lettering, and know that it's a local girl doing her best to make an honest living at something that she enjoys. How much we dress up that vehicle is another story entirely...but insofar as the winch is concerned: it's actually semi-useful once you get up into the hills and mountains and down a few washed-out roads, working remote bee yards that are four-wheel-drive-access-only on a good day. That said, I may be into an electric winch no matter what, because I honestly cannot recall whether or not the overdrive unit has the PTO-also feature...and that truck is going to need overdrive. So, possibly a Belleview? Any other ideas on that front? Any other ideas on a PTO winch?

Two of my customers are bee keepers. When I sweep their chimneys in Spetember, they'll have 40? hive in the yard. Walk up, shake hands, talk, and you realize there are 40 bees between us, totally oblivious to us.

Bees are amazing. He does the full process selling honey at the farmers market. He used to ship by the container to Germany but he is now retired. It is fascinating learning that he places the hives in the mountains around our home to develop a particular flavour/colour of honey from the sources of pollen in the area. In Alberta everything was the same. Governed by the crops growing. And in Alberta we are talking entire Counties growing the same thing. But in BC.... in the mountains.... he'd put 20 hives near a particular plant. And create a specific flavour.

I only buy honey at farmers markets now. Amazing how a new aquaintance can influence what you do. Kudos to your wife and you for doing something so important. I hope she gets the opportunity to give school kids field trips. Learning what bees do, in the field, can influence their lives forever.

I have no experience but here's my opinion:

This thread is worthless without pics of your '51 project truck.

Well, I tried to send you a picture via PM, but it says that I can't start a conversation with you. Not sure what that's about, but whatever; I'll break my rule for once and post it.

Pictured: 1951 Willys Model 473.

IMG_20190630_194757-XL.jpg

Tell me that door just isn't begging for some lettering and a logo.

Two of my customers are bee keepers. When I sweep their chimneys in Spetember, they'll have 40? hive in the yard. Walk up, shake hands, talk, and you realize there are 40 bees between us, totally oblivious to us.

Bees are amazing. He does the full process selling honey at the farmers market. He used to ship by the container to Germany but he is now retired. It is fascinating learning that he places the hives in the mountains around our home to develop a particular flavour/colour of honey from the sources of pollen in the area. In Alberta everything was the same. Governed by the crops growing. And in Alberta we are talking entire Counties growing the same thing. But in BC.... in the mountains.... he'd put 20 hives near a particular plant. And create a specific flavour.

I only buy honey at farmers markets now. Amazing how a new aquaintance can influence what you do. Kudos to your wife and you for doing something so important. I hope she gets the opportunity to give school kids field trips. Learning what bees do, in the field, can influence their lives forever.

We have a lot of people that ask to come see the apiary; so far we haven't let anyone come by except one or two other beekeepers, but we're going to see if there's some sort of liability-free way to go about it. Sadly, in the current times, if someone visits an apiary and gets stung, you're likely to get sued.

Not too helpful, but this is my dad's Ramsey PTO on the back of his CJ5. It is powered with a Dana 300 that has a PTO output.
20190517_170329.jpg

[QUOTE="Sundowner, post: 386904, member: 12429"
Tell me that door just isn't begging for some lettering and a logo.
[/QUOTE]
Yes! framing and everything already installed. Nice!

I would do the logo with side racks. I have a military PTO winch sitting in my shed, looked at it yesterday. The dana 300 does not have an output for the PTO, the dana 20 does for a CJ. We used to log with a truck that had and 80,000 pound PTO winch. The 62 chevy had the 235 straight 6 and a 4 speed manual. When we ran the winch, we stopped the truck, set the RPM's and used the winch controls to pull with.

That PTO is coming off of the transmission from what that camera shot shows. I maybe missing something but they usually just go off of the side of the transmission. Some of the older high end wich PTO's have a high/low or a forward/reverse, the ones designed for a pump is just a single direction. Tim

That PTO is coming off of the transmission from what that camera shot shows. I maybe missing something but they usually just go off of the side of the transmission. Some of the older high end wich PTO's have a high/low or a forward/reverse, the ones designed for a pump is just a single direction. Tim

Correct. It comes of the transmission.