Pulled the trigger, second thoughts (help)!

WPGB1977

Supporting Member
I have been researching lifts and tires obsessively for weeks and then went by my local Jeep shop to order up everything to be installed next week.

I ordered:

35x13.50 Toyo MT's
I5x10 Pro Comp Series 69 (3.625" of backspace)
Rubicon Express 4.5" super flex

I honestly had been leaning in the direction of 35" KM2's for awhile (have had 2 sets of KO2's in the past and have been very happy with the BFG product) but the day before I went by the shop I saw some Toyos on a JK and loved them so I just went with them.

The dude at the shop told me he was ordering them on Friday so I can drop the Jeep off on Monday to get everything installed. Cool.

Meanwhile, I'm starting to dig around and look at pics of this set up and I'm a little concerned I may get the roller skate look with this width of tires. I have been looking at 35x12.50's this whole time but in order to get the Toyos I had to go with 35x13.50's. I have also been looking only at 15x8 wheels but I jumped up to 15x10's bc that's apparently what Toyo recommends.

As is the case with online pics, it's difficult to get a 100% clear picture of what things will really look like when it's done. Some pics look like I'll love this set up, while others not so much.

So....does anyone have any thoughts here? I'm kind of thinking about changing my order and going back to 35x12.50 KM2's on 15x8's, but I'm also not sure if the size difference between the Toyos and the BFG's is truly negligible. It may be that you can't even see it. Would just like to know from someone with experience if that's the case.

I love the look of the Toyos but I also don't want something that's going to look too wide, especially from the front.

At this point, I'm spending decent coin on this deal and I want to LOVE it.

Anyway, sorry for the novel but would love some perspective on this.

Last edited:
Your width is only an inch wider, so that is negligible, in my mind. Its not really possible to change the backspacing with that wide of tire, so if that the width you want, I think that is about the only way to get there. To really avoid the roller skate look, you need to stay around that 11" or 285 width...The TJ here is running 33 x 12.5 on a 3.75 backspace. He sticks out a couple inches...just to give you an idea. However, I'm not sure on the wheel width...

VMFIV26eqXK8vA-NW4zjwrRytcMjQfweYJNXGxDZSGPUYwVSJZ5sHNshMBGhqbRlTTMwCr0kppcEI9Xg4w=w1134-h638-no.jpg

Reactions: Chris and WPGB1977
I have been researching lifts and tires obsessively for weeks and then went by my local Jeep shop to order up everything to be installed next week.

I ordered:

35x13.50 Toyo MT's
I5x10 Pro Comp Series 69 (3.625" of backspace)
Rubicon Express 4.5" super flex

I honestly had been leaning in the direction of 35" KM2's for awhile (have had 2 sets of KO2's in the past and have been very happy with the BFG product) but the day before I went by the shop I saw some Toyos on a JK and loved them so I just went with them.

The dude at the shop told me he was ordering them on Friday so I can drop the Jeep off on Monday to get everything installed. Cool.

Meanwhile, I'm starting to dig around and look at pics of this set up and I'm a little concerned I may get the roller skate look with this width of tires. I have been looking at 35x12.50's this whole time but in order to get the Toyos I had to go with 35x13.50's. I have also been looking only at 15x8 wheels but I jumped up to 15x10's bc that's apparently what Toyo recommends.

As is the case with online pics, it's difficult to get a 100% clear picture of what things will really look like when it's done. Some pics look like I'll love this set up, while others not so much.

So....does anyone have any thoughts here? I'm kind of thinking about changing my order and going back to 35x12.50 KM2's on 15x8's, but I'm also not sure if the size difference between the Toyos and the BFG's is truly negligible. It may be that you can't even see it. Would just like to know from someone with experience if that's the case.

I love the look of the Toyos but I also don't want something that's going to look too wide, especially from the front.

At this point, I'm spending decent coin on this deal and I want to LOVE it.

Anyway, sorry for the novel but would love some perspective on this.
I think your gonna love it, with the Toyos.

One thing I've learned, if you don't go with something you really like(Toyos in this case) you will always tell yourself.."I should have just got the Toyos". Shortly thereafter you will find an excuse to get the Toyos. If they are a little wider than you want, I love that look personally, just get some extended flares to mitigate the look.

Reactions: WPGB1977
Gents -

Thanks for the reassurance, and Chris...thanks for the recommendation on those very reasonably priced flares.

I think you're right...this Jeep is going to look great, and I think the flares will make it all look proportional.

Will put up pics once it's done.

Personally I'd have gone with 8" rims but if you don't go moderate to hard core rock crawling or trail riding, you may be just fine. A 10" wide rim will get a lotta rock rash and the bead will come loose or dirt inside the bead area when aired down below 10 PSI. Plus it's gonna take a wide flare to cover that width tire/rim combo.

35's will look nice under 4.5" of RE lift. Remember that RE lift will net slightly more height at first until the springs settle in after a year or two depending on how loaded down your Jeep is when you off-road.