Pulling a camper with your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Bamacon

TJ Enthusiast
I am think about getting a popup camper and I know the tj has a limited tow capacity but what do you guys think? Is it possible? Safe? Anyone ever tried it before? Just thinking.

So long as you stay with a smaller model pop-up and not a Taj Majal that sleeps 10 with a roman bath/shower, your TJ will tow it just fine. At least so long as your TJ has the 4.0L engine which gives it a 2,000 lb. safe tow capacity.

Mine is a small Fleetwood Taos which is perfect, my TJ doesn't even really know it's there. It has a sink, propane cook top, toilet, good interior lighting, and a table which is fine for two people, 3 in a pinch, though it technically could sleep a few more if they were small kids.

Same pop-up tent trailer, two different Jeeps... the red one was stolen. :mad:

CIMG2593.jpg

TrailerFromRear.jpg

So long as you stay with a smaller model pop-up and not a Taj Majal that sleeps 10 with a roman bath/shower, your TJ will tow it just fine. At least so long as your TJ has the 4.0L engine which gives it a 2,000 lb. safe tow capacity.

Mine is a small Fleetwood Taos which is perfect, my TJ doesn't even really know it's there. It has a sink, propane cook top, toilet, good interior lighting, and a table which is fine for two people, 3 in a pinch, though it technically could sleep a few more if they were small kids.

View attachment 3093
View attachment 3094

We have a 38 ft motorhome. While we love the coach it is too big for a lot of what we like to do. The pop up is my idea solution!

2000# is the big issue. A light trailer but keep it under 2000# including all the gear, food, books, water..... unless you have an LJ which is rated for 3500#.

I tow 1700# for work every day. The 4.0L has plenty of power. If you have an option of trailer brakes... get them. Just a bit more safety/security and some states.. CA require trailer brakes if the trailer/gear exceeds 1500#.

ps, without the ladders I drove this 2200miles, Yellowknife Canada to Denver CO. and back full of furniture.

DSC_0006 (1).jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 3093
View attachment 3094

We have this same popup my parents gave to us 2 years ago. The only diffrence is is a fleetwod by coleman. Everything on it is great but the top ABS roof is cracking. Have you ever had a similar problem/solution as us?

We have this same popup my parents gave to us 2 years ago. The only diffrence is is a fleetwod by coleman. Everything on it is great but the top ABS roof is cracking. Have you ever had a similar problem/solution as us?
Fortunately not but then it lives most of its life in my garage out of the sun. Your cracking problem is likely from sun exposure.

Fortunately not but then it lives most of its life in my garage out of the sun. Your cracking problem is likely from sun exposure.

Thats what I think happned. We moved it in the garage after referb. the underside and interior. I have no idea how my parents previously stored it. My bet is the kept it outside just sitting next to the barn :/. They are great little campers though. Thanks for the reply Jerry!

Thats what I think happned. We moved it in the garage after referb. the underside and interior. I have no idea how my parents previously stored it. My bet is the kept it outside just sitting next to the barn :/. They are great little campers though. Thanks for the reply Jerry!
Does yours have a polyurethane-like 5 gallon water container under the stove on the right side of the cabinet? If so have you found a good replacement for it? Mine developed a crack in the bottom of it which thus far has proven impossible to permanently fix. Fixes last maybe 6 months if I'm very gentle with the container. No adhesives will stick to it for more than a few months, not even an epoxy made especially for plastics. I did serious research on the type of material it's made from and there are no known adhesives/sealants that will stick to it permanently. I did manage to find a new replacement tank once but the guy wanted $200 for it, he knew what he had.

Does yours have a polyurethane-like 5 gallon water container under the stove on the right side of the cabinet? If so have you found a good replacement for it? Mine developed a crack in the bottom of it which thus far has proven impossible to permanently fix. Fixes last maybe 6 months if I'm very gentle with the container. No adhesives will stick to it for more than a few months, not even an epoxy made especially for plastics. I did serious research on the type of material it's made from and there are no known adhesives/sealants that will stick to it permanently. I did manage to find a new replacement tank once but the guy wanted $200 for it, he knew what he had.

I have one thats connected under the sink opposite of the stove. Its between the popout bed and the bench seating area. Its like a clear foggy white color right? ours is a 1997. Wish it was not cold out I would pop it up and take a picture.

Have you looked at plastic welding? I have seen it done on chemical tanks at work

If anything this spring if it is a match for you and you still want it we can get it to you. Ive never once used it and we have a foldabe sink that holds a stove for our camping kitchen outside.

Reactions: StG58
If anything this spring if it is a match for you and you still want it we can get it to you. Ive never once used it and we have a foldabe sink that holds a stove for our camping kitchen outside.
That'd be very cool, thank you. I've been searching for a replacement tank for several years. This is what it looks like...

Fleetwood tank.JPG

astjp2 I have considered plastic welding but this is pretty thin stuff and it'd be too easy to damage it beyond repair. If it was just a normal 5 gallon water tank I'd just go buy one but this one has a special fitting that connects it to my pressurized water system.

Reactions: StG58
JB,

How much does your pop up weigh? Are you able to cruise at 75mph pulling it? How big of a decrease in MPG do you see towing it on the highway?

JB,

How much does your pop up weigh? Are you able to cruise at 75mph pulling it? How big of a decrease in MPG do you see towing it on the highway?
It's just over 1100 lbs unloaded, It's probably 1300-1400 lbs. as I tow it. I literally don't notice it while I'm towing it, I occasionally even have to look in my rear-view mirror to make sure it's still there lol. Not sure of the mpg hit but it's not significant enough to me to even think about it.

It's just over 1100 lbs unloaded, It's probably 1300-1400 lbs. as I tow it. I literally don't notice it while I'm towing it, I occasionally even have to look in my rear-view mirror to make sure it's still there lol. Not sure of the mpg hit but it's not significant enough to me to even think about it.

That's great to hear!! I've been eyeing getting one of these little pop ups, I'm getting tired of tents in the hot summer!

That'd be very cool, thank you. I've been searching for a replacement tank for several years. This is what it looks like...

View attachment 72348

astjp2 I have considered plastic welding but this is pretty thin stuff and it'd be too easy to damage it beyond repair. If it was just a normal 5 gallon water tank I'd just go buy one but this one has a special fitting that connects it to my pressurized water system.

Well now I have a reason to open it up and start a new project in the camper. Can't work on the jeep untill my new Johnny Joint bushings come in.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
That's great to hear!! I've been eyeing getting one of these little pop ups, I'm getting tired of tents in the hot summer!
That and freezing in a tent during the winter. I'm done with tents, that's why I bought the pop-up. I had 75+ nights in a tent just as a Boy Scout leader, plus all the nights camped out for Jeeping trips. My tent trailer is like the Taj Mahal compared to my previous tenting. :)

This is not a good memory of my earlier tent camping days lol.

tent.jpg

Reactions: Brad W
That and freezing in a tent during the winter. I'm done with tents, that's why I bought the pop-up. I had 75+ nights in a tent just as a Boy Scout leader, plus all the nights camped out for Jeeping trips. My tent trailer is like the Taj Mahal compared to my previous tenting. :)

This is not a good memory of my earlier tent camping days lol.

View attachment 72349

I had a lot of good memories the 13 years I was in scouting in Southern Florida. Ever make it to Jambo? We plan to use the popup camper as a base camp on trails then taking the jeep out for the day.

Once the popup dies we plan on getting an offroad trailer with an RTT or something similar.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

You pack too much, that's why tents aren't enjoyable. I've lived out of tents and tarps for over a year combined (6 weeks being the most consecutive before returning to base for several days to resupply before heading back out.). I've car camped across the east coast and back through Canada. Each time I bring less and less backups and extra things as I have become more aware of what I use and how I use it. Aside from food itself, I find that I live most comfortably out of a 20l pack. That's personal gear, tent (either my share, or a personal tent), and cook stove. Anything more and it's just frustrating to deal with which ends up holding me back.

Reactions: Brad W