One of my ”wish I’d done that” things is 2.5 coilovers. I run King 2.0 adjustables, and they are a bit soft for me. Now my rig is likely on the heavy side compared to yours, but I think I‘d try to squeeze the 2.5’s in there as Trevor said.

Reactions: TRE3TOP and kmas0n
This is starting to feel like the 35vs37 tire size in the JL world.... Everyone that puts 35's on thier JL wishes they would have just gone with 37's. I made that mistake mistake myself. At this point, I'm leaning towards 14" 2.5s.

This is starting to feel like the 35vs37 tire size in the JL world.... Everyone that puts 35's on thier JL wishes they would have just gone with 37's. I made that mistake mistake myself. At this point, I'm leaning towards 14" 2.5s.

I figured I only plan to do it once so I chose the 14” 2.5’s. Not to the point of figuring out fitting yet.

18DEA25C-8771-48DE-BD55-ACF127A9F1E8.jpeg

I would go with the 2.5s if you can fit them with out hitting them with the tire under full flex.

Reactions: kmas0n
Since I don't have a factory tj readily available to measure, I'm trying to find how much I've moved the front axle. If someone has a stock wheelbase tj, and happens to not have a front bumper on at the moment I'm looking for the measurement from the front of the frame, sans bumper, to the front of the axle.

PXL_20220716_150133254.jpg

The level isn't clamped hard to the frame, it's actually plumb to the ground.

PXL_20220716_150142377.jpg

I'm right at 19 9/16"

If anyone has this measurement I would be grateful

Since I don't have a factory tj readily available to measure, I'm trying to find how much I've moved the front axle. If someone has a stock wheelbase tj, and happens to not have a front bumper on at the moment I'm looking for the measurement from the front of the frame, sans bumper, to the front of the axle.

View attachment 343366

The level isn't clamped hard to the frame, it's actually plumb to the ground.

View attachment 343367

I'm right at 19 9/16"

If anyone has this measurement I would be grateful

With a front Dana 30 it looks to be about 22 13/16”, measured on an LJ but I don’t think that matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: kmas0n
So if my math is correct

22 13/16 - 19 9/16 = 3.25

However,
Dana 30 axle tube 2.5"
UD44 axle tube 2.75"
so - 0.25 / 2 0.125 (1/8) for the difference in axle tube size

then
3.25- 0.125

I moved the axle forward 3 1/8"

Last edited:
Ideally, I should be taking both measurements so its consistent. but this is close enough. Somewhere around 3"

Reactions: Wildman
My measurement should be close. Stock control arms and no front bumper.

View attachment 343375

Mine was highly approximated with a broom handle and a graduated level… I couldn’t find my tape measure anywhere. Until I walked back inside afterwards and it’s on the edge of the table by the door. I still have my bumper on too so I guessed where the edge was. I was more so confirming your measurement was close.

Reactions: Apparition
I have Disc's on the 2.0s co's on the rear. I think its shaft size that determines if you can have it

Reactions: TRE3TOP
The rough draft of the shock tower is together... this is actually version 3.0. One thing to note... 2.5's max out what the poly towers are capable of. There is VERY little wiggle room. I had hoped to cant the towers back at the same angle as the rear (for my OCD), but there isn't enough room for the shock to swing front to back unless they are closer to vertical. So they are nearly upright (85*). I put the steering shaft back in to make sure there is no interference.

full compression.
PXL_20220731_201058029.jpg

Nearly full extension. I need some taller jack stands. The castle bolt is laying on the floor at 12" of droop... so, its going to need a lot taller. Currently its going to work out 5 up 9 down front and 6 up 8 down rear. I may increase ride height another inch for 6up 8 down/ 7up 7down. According to the internet, its better to have slightly more up travel in the rear, so this is perfect.

I may also have to lean the towers out a few more degrees. At full flex the springs are going to contact the frame. currently they are about 3*
I did a quick cycle with a tire on and it doesn't get anywhere near the shock at this config, so there is room to move.

PXL_20220731_201155596.jpg

Full compression from the side. The shock is biased towards the front of the tower at full compression. Neutral at ride height. How neutral? at ride height I can easily slide the bolts out of the shock ends.

PXL_20220731_200842957.jpg

Potential hydro bump location. I like that I can tie the trackbar, bump stop cup, and shock tower together.

PXL_20220731_200951546.jpg

Interesting. The 2.5 foxes come with a different rod end (com 10?) that looks like a rubber bushing with a 1.5 width, so no goofy spacers needed. Clearance is tight here. I had to drill a large hole in the bottom of the shock mount to clearance the shock end.

PXL_20220731_201019743.jpg

Resisting the urge to weld all the things. Still a few things to check, tweak, and nudge. I think the front has been easier to fabricate than the rear.

Last edited: