Purchase question

Ed Langenfeld

I just found an 05 Rubi with 93k. It is supoosedly rust free (have not yet looked at underside). AT with the 4.0L 6, Pacer Soft 8 wheels wrapped in 33s Falken Wildpeak AT3W, soft top (the only way ro go, IMHO), and K&N cold air intake (don't particularly care, but it's there so whatever). Looks pretty much unmolested beyond items listed above. Dealer asking $15k. I'm new to the Jeep game...fair deal? Would offering him less (say $10-12k) be insulting for that rig?
Thx in advance, much appreciated.

DSC03673.jpg

Without seeing the vehicle that is a solid starting point. Check it out though for sure, it has a couple aftermarket parts so double check you are not missing anything. If all checks out, offer $12k and see if you can get it down.

As a comp there is aTJ Rubi for sale near me, 75k miles for $18.8k at a dealer.

http://timstruckcapital.com/search/1J4FA69S16P780874?ibp-adgroup=CL_Target

Reactions: Ed Langenfeld
For comparison, I paid $14K for my bone stock '04 Rubi 5-speed with the same miles. It had a hardtop and was a rust free California vehicle.

where in NY are you? I doubt you will get it for much less than in the mid $14K mark. get as much underside pics as you can and post them up. Check the vin# to make sure the 6th# is a 6...that is a real Rubicon. you can offer what ever you want..dealers have heard it all and besides his reaction will tell you how far he might bend, you can always negotiate up not down. You can post the vin here and we can get a build sheet and history on vehicle.

I am more of a fan of the 2003-4 Rubicons. Some 4.0L engines in 2005-6 have a problem with the oil pump drive assembly which is not easily fixed permanently.

Reactions: ohiopatriot
In New York I would highly, highly doubt it's rust free.

Now assuming it is completely rust free (you should see if you can get photos of the entire underside), then yes, I would say 15k is a good price.

A rust free TJ Rubicon here in Oregon (and on the West Coast) with low miles will go for 20k all day long. I sold my old TJ Rubicon for 21k 2 days after posting it for sale, and had around 12 people calling about it!

So yeah, if it's rust free and well taken care of, that's a great price.

Reactions: StG58
Without seeing the vehicle that is a solid starting point. Check it out though for sure, it has a couple aftermarket parts so double check you are not missing anything. If all checks out, offer $12k and see if you can get it down.

As a comp there is aTJ Rubi for sale near me, 75k miles for $18.8k at a dealer.

http://timstruckcapital.com/search/1J4FA69S16P780874?ibp-adgroup=CL_Target
this one is interesting, don't think I have ever seen a half door with a hard top?

(edited)l.. really... don't get the attitude from a few here on not wanting to let people know about the potential OPDA issue that can affect 05-06 4.0L engines. Would you be angry if you bought a 2005-6 model that developed that problem if you knew a lot of people knew about it but kept the issue secret and didn't share information with you on it? I'd be pissed, especially if mine developed it and I could have avoided it by buying the older model I was also looking at.

This is a LEGITIMATE issue that SOME 05/06 4.0L engines have. To want to keep the issue quiet does a disservice to future Jeepers who would appreciate knowing about problems their models may have or develop. This only affects 05-06 so it's not like they're just like earlier model years. In other words, if you were making a choice between an 04 and an 05 with everything else the same, wouldn't you want to know that the 05 has the potential problem but the 04 does not? I think so.

Let's stop the bullshit negative replies when a warning is given about a problem that ONLY affects two model year 4.0L engines. Knowledge about an issue where the purchaser can make a more informed decision is how I roll. For some who don't like that, that's, well, tough.

Why anyone would want to keep that information away from a potential purchaser by not telling them about it so they can make an INFORMED decision is absolutely beyond me.

Last edited:
Nice color, and not a bad price. + a bunch on checking for rust, especially frame rust. Everything else is fixable at some level, but frame rust = parts rig if it's bad enough.

Do we have a thread on checking a TJ for rust? Sounds like a good idea.

l.. really... don't get the attitude from a few here on not wanting to let people know about the potential OPDA issue that can affect 05-06 4.0L engines. Would you be angry if you bought a 2005-6 model that developed that problem if you knew a lot of people knew about it but kept the issue secret and didn't share information with you on it? I'd be pissed, especially if mine developed it and I could have avoided it by buying the older model I was also looking at.

This is a LEGITIMATE issue that SOME 05/06 4.0L engines have. To want to keep the issue quiet does a disservice to future Jeepers who would appreciate knowing about problems their models may have or develop. This only affects 05-06 so it's not like they're just like earlier model years. In other words, if you were making a choice between an 04 and an 05 with everything else was the same, wouldn't you want to know that the 05 has the potential problem but the 04 does not? I think so.

Let's stop the bullshit negative replies when a warning is given about a problem that ONLY affects two model year 4.0L engines. Knowledge about an issue where the purchaser can make a more informed decision is how I roll. For some who don't like that, that's, well, tough.

Why anyone would want to keep that information away from a potential purchaser by not telling them about it so they can make an INFORMED decision is absolutely beyond me.
Thank you for the info. Any way to check on that potential problem prior to it appearing?

Thank you for the info. Any way to check on that potential problem prior to it appearing?
I don't think so. It's an issue, but there are a LOT of '05 - '06 TJ's out there that don't have the problem, and probably never will. It's good to know about, but probably shouldn't be a deal breaker. It's like the oil anti-drainback valve in the '12 and up 3.6 engine. It happens, there's a fix if you catch it, and you move on.

If it has gone bad there is a squealing from the engine has often been described as a "laughing bunch of monkeys" sound. Fix is $130 part made by crown. I probably would not let this potential issue be a deal breaker on a nice one ( I have an 05) but there is definitely some merit to it as if ignored it could be an engine rebuild. I will probably just do the replacement as maintenance on mine (100K on the clock) when the weather gets warmer. There is a sticky thread Chris posted on here all about it. Like Jerry mentions if there were 2 to choose from on 04 and an 05, it is good info to have.....but i would not let it stop me from buying an 05 or 06 if it was the right one...these are getting harder and harder to find clean ones at decent prices.

He is a broken record on this subject. It gets old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
His point is valid. If I was in the market for an 05-06 TJ, I would appreciate at least knowing the possibility of that issue existing before shelling out $15k+ so I could at least make an informed choice. However minor the issue is perceived to be does not negate that it can be an issue for those years.

Reactions: UpperMI and StG58
l.. really... don't get the attitude from a few here on not wanting to let people know about the potential OPDA issue that can affect 05-06 4.0L engines. Would you be angry if you bought a 2005-6 model that developed that problem if you knew a lot of people knew about it but kept the issue secret and didn't share information with you on it? I'd be pissed, especially if mine developed it and I could have avoided it by buying the older model I was also looking at.

This is a LEGITIMATE issue that SOME 05/06 4.0L engines have. To want to keep the issue quiet does a disservice to future Jeepers who would appreciate knowing about problems their models may have or develop. This only affects 05-06 so it's not like they're just like earlier model years. In other words, if you were making a choice between an 04 and an 05 with everything else was the same, wouldn't you want to know that the 05 has the potential problem but the 04 does not? I think so.

Yeah, yeah we know .......... but....

You just like to overstate the issue.

To the OP, research the OPDA, its not a big deal, its $130 fix IF it ever becomes an issue. If the Jeep checks out buy it. It's hard enough to find a nice one and for someone to scare you off over that would be ridiculous, don't buy his hype.

His point is valid. If I was in the market for an 05-06 TJ, I would appreciate at least knowing the possibility of that issue existing before shelling out $15k+ so I could at least make an informed choice. However minor the issue is perceived to be does not negate that it can be an issue for those years.

Others on this site describe the issue in a much more balanced realistic fashion. Mr Jeep, just wants this issue to be seen as a deal breaker, and that is misinformation.

Reactions: ohiopatriot
where in NY are you? I doubt you will get it for much less than in the mid $14K mark. get as much underside pics as you can and post them up. Check the vin# to make sure the 6th# is a 6...that is a real Rubicon. you can offer what ever you want..dealers have heard it all and besides his reaction will tell you how far he might bend, you can always negotiate up not down. You can post the vin here and we can get a build sheet and history on vehicle.
Waiting on frame, mounts, etc pics now. I will def. post when I do. I'm just south of Rochester.

Others on this site describe the issue in a much more balanced realistic fashion. Mr Jeep, just wants this issue to be seen as a deal breaker, and that is misinformation.

I see your point. As long as buyers are aware of the potential issue, they can be the ones to decide if it's a deal breaker.

Reactions: BendLarry