Purchasing first time TJ (rust)

bananasampam

Trying to purchase my first wrangler for a relatively low price. I know rust is a problem on jeeps but I don't know how bad this one is. Was hoping you guys can tell me how bad and how to treat it.

IMG_1412.jpeg

IMG_1413.jpeg

IMG_1414.jpeg

IMG_1415.jpeg

My personal experience is that rust is ALWAYS worse than it looks. 3rd picture looks pretty crusty / chunky and chunks are bad. Often frames rust from the inside out. What you see on the surface is sometimes just the tip off the iceberg.

The only way I have found to find the extent is to tap it with a punch and hammer, prod at it with a pick etc. and see what happens. I doubt that the current owner is going to let you do that.

You might want to consider the age of the vehicle and where it lived it’s life. If it lived in the northeast or somewhere where salty roads, extremely salty air or other conditions that foster rust and factor that into your decision.

Last edited:
3rd pic looks like a hole rusted through the side under the step mount....looks like a bad sign if correct.

Reactions: Tomcat
That same picture again the body torsion box is full of rust and looks like a hole in the body mount bracket too.

A high mileage maintained one with a clean or cleaner frame would be best. Any run on the beach are a concern too, not just salt roads. Good luck

Last edited:
That TJ definitely hasn't spent it's life in ATL.
What are you considering a "relativity low price" ?
If the tub is in great shape I'd give $5-6k for it, but also I can cut, grind and weld.

Areas of concern:
IMG_1414.jpeg

That TJ definitely hasn't spent it's life in ATL.
What are you considering a "relativity low price" ?
If the tub is in great shape I'd give $5-6k for it, but also I can cut, grind and weld.

Areas of concern:
View attachment 184089
He said the Jeep is from a northern state , asking for 8.5k with 180k miles. From what you guys are saying this seems like a definite no go.

Reactions: Stinkbug and Tomcat
He said the Jeep is from a northern state , asking for 8.5k with 180k miles. From what you guys are saying this seems like a definite no go.
Keep looking!
Hell, you're in Atlanta, (...or Atlanta, you're in Hell) should be easy to find a rust free in that price range there, or within' an hours drive. Be more concerned about rust than miles.

Reactions: Stinkbug
Keep looking!
Hell, you're in Atlanta, (...or Atlanta, you're in Hell) should be easy to find a rust free in that price range there, or within' an hours drive. Be more concerned about rust than miles.
Jeep's go for crazy amounts here, I once saw a tj with 200k miles for 14k+. I see countless wranglers that are super used go for north of 15k

I would continue looking. When I bought mine I bought a carfax to see where it had been just to get a general idea. I bought my 2000 Jeep with 102k miles for $8500.