Purge Valve Help

FatherFigure90

Alright, after many trips to O’Rielly’s and my local shop and plenty of $$$ spent, in still getting a P0445 code coming up. New throttle body was just installed, O2 sensor is good and also new, no leaks detected and hoses lookin good. Looks to be a bad purge valve. My main question here is on my 97 manual 2.5, which dang way is this purge valve supposed to sit? After receiving it back from the shop the “bottom” side was on the top.. seems upside down to a simpleton like myself. After driving about 80 miles after the new throttle body was installed the codes appeared. I’m hoping this thing was just put back on upside down and it’s an easy fix.
2D7EE0FA-6D00-4912-84F2-EEBBE832A0D0.jpeg

I think that code is an electrical short circuit which means either the solenoid is bad, wiring is bad or the PCM is bad. I'd carefully check the wiring going to the purge valve and if you can check the solenoid itself to see if it is shorted. Look for pinched or damaged wires.

Reactions: FatherFigure90
From your manual:

"The solenoid attaches to a bracket located in the engine compartment near the EVAP canister (Fig. 2). The top of the solenoid has the word UP or TOP on it . The solenoid will not operate properly unless it is installed correctly"

Reactions: FatherFigure90
You put this very kindly lol thank you!

Lol no problem man, just trying to be direct... I was like halfway through posting detailed instructions on checking wiring and vacuum when I re-read your original post. Hopefully it's as simple as that! Just remember that the PCM doesn't operate that valve until you're driving under certain conditions, so it can take awhile for it to actually be monitored depending on your driving habits.

When I first bought my 06 I had the same code come up all the time. What I eventually found was one of the wires right at the back of the purge valve connector was broken inside the insulation. You couldn't visually see it and every time I ohmed out the wires they checked good. However, when I would reinstall the connector, it bent the wire at just the right angle it would open up and the purge valve wouldn't work.