Putting carpet on top of Rhino Liner?

Jaxon B.

TJ Enthusiast
So I recently just bought a Rough Country carpet from some person that bought it online and never even opened the box, and I was wondering how I should even approach putting it in. I have a rhino lined floor, so the normal method of spray-on adhesive I feel might not be a good idea since I don't want to break the rhino line and facilitate rust on the body panels (don't want to deal with any repair work, already broke as it is lol). Is there a different approach I should take to the conventional carpet-applying method or will the spray-on adhesive even break the rhino line in the first place if I ever plan to remove the carpet?

Jeep carpet isn't normally glued in. I believe it's designed to be easily removed to facilitate drying/cleaning.

I've had to take mine out many times.

Last edited:
Jeep carpet isn't normally glued in. I believe it's designed to be easily removed to facilitate drying/cleaning.

I've had to take mine out many times.
Really? I know that the stock carpet isn't glued in, but I thought the aftermarket ones usually were. The directions that came with mine suggested to use spray-on adhesive so I kind of assumed that was standard

Guess I assumed the carpet you bought was similar to factory.
If you don't think you'll ever have to take it out, then glue it in.

Curious, I don't see any Rough Country carpet sets for sale?

Really? I know that the stock carpet isn't glued in, but I thought the aftermarket ones usually were. The directions that came with mine suggested to use spray-on adhesive so I kind of assumed that was standard
Sure, if some manufactures suggest spray in adhesive, I would imagine it’s to promote the best fit and finish.

I have seen some carpet brands only suggest velcro strips placed strategically around the tub for a nice fit.

I imagine the velcro strips might work for you with the Rhino lining.

Sure, if some manufactures suggest spray in adhesive, I would imagine it’s to promote the best fit and finish.

I have seen some carpet brands only suggest velcro strips placed strategically around the tub for a nice fit.

I imagine the velcro strips might work for you with the Rhino lining.
My interior is rhino lined I just got some HD Velcro and stuck the carpet in like 6 spots. Does not slide around at all.

Reactions: Jamesval035
Did they take out the Snap buttons when they rhinolined it? The HD Velcro sounds like a good idea. I rhinolined and useD the oem buttons, but I may do the Velcro in a couple spots.

Did they take out the Snap buttons when they rhinolined it? The HD Velcro sounds like a good idea. I rhinolined and useD the oem buttons, but I may do the Velcro in a couple spots.
Yeah my Jeep does not have the snaps at all. Honestly I like the Velcro more anyway. I just pull the carpet up and to put it back I don’t have to be as spot on as you do with the snaps.

Yeah my Jeep does not have the snaps at all. Honestly I like the Velcro more anyway. I just pull the carpet up and to put it back I don’t have to be as spot on as you do with the snaps.
I didn't even know it came with snaps period. It wasn't there when I bought it and the TJ being my first car I also just assumed that it wasn't a thing. Guess I could've caught on though with my two brothers' TJs, whose interiors are mostly stock.

Alright so after reading the replies, I'm gonna go out to Lowes or something like that and get some heavy-duty velcro strips to put on the carpet. I'll take pictures and update the thread as I go through the process, expecting it to take 2-3 days (based on how long it took my brother to recarpet lol). I'll hopefully start it tomorrow given time

Last edited:
With pre-cut carpet, even when adding the velcro, I'd figure a couple hours and a couple beers. If you're planning on removing the seats and console that could double the time but you'll want to take it easy on the beer, of course any significant other should be told 2-3 days.

Have fun and post pictures.

With pre-cut carpet, even when adding the velcro, I'd figure a couple hours and a couple beers. If you're planning on removing the seats and console that could double the time but you'll want to take it easy on the beer, of course any significant other should be told 2-3 days.

Have fun and post pictures.
Can't have beer just yet, still in highschool ;), still trying to convince my dad to take me to home depot or lowes to get the velcro strips lol

Alright so after reading the replies, I'm gonna go out to Lowes or something like that and get some heavy-duty velcro strips to put on the carpet.
Do yourself a favor and get Velcro with no adhesive and stick it down with heavy duty outdoor double sided mounting tape. The adhesive on every piece of Velcro and other brand hook and loop ive tried has failed before long in the heat. Even worse if dirt works it's way under as it softens.