Putting in new axle shafts in Dana 30 any tips or things to look out for?

I'd rather drag a long side axle thru a tube filled with gear lube than one filled with mud AND gear lube.
We get it, you've adopted a position and will say anything to support that regardless of how wrong you are. You aren't the first.

Gear lube does no fucking good in the tube, none whatsoever and nothing about that is a good thing regardless of how you try and spin it.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I’ve been trying to get these pressed in the last little bit and nothing is working if anyone has any ideas.

View attachment 281425
I had the same issue (couldn't get one cap to seat) and it ended up one or two of the needle bearing came out of place (fell over and were at the bottom preventing the cap from seating correctly) which resulted in taking that cap off and putting the bearing back in place while at the same time inspecting the bearing for damage. One or two of those tiny bearing kind of got what I would call damaged so I ended up buying a new you joint and got her in next go around.

Reactions: Tycarver
Gear lube does no fucking good in the tube, none whatsoever and nothing about that is a good thing regardless of how you try and spin it.
It stays off my garage floor that much longer. That's a plus 😄

I'm new to this thread derailing debate. What are the down sides to outer axle seals now? Assuming you check on your diff fluid level.

• Haha
Reactions: SvtLdr
I’ve been using a vise I was careful to make sure that there was no needle bearings came out of place, I got it on Amazon so I have a new one being sent out I’m thinking the ears or something are not just right because it’s not fitting on either axle shaft and it’s not just one cap it’s multiple.
Assuming the correct joint, there is either a needle bearing in the cap, or the ear is bent. FWIW, it is not difficult to bend them enough where the snap rings won't go back in.