Putting in new axle shafts in Dana 30 any tips or things to look out for?

Tycarver

TJ Enthusiast
The u joints on my front axle are bad so I figured I would go ahead and upgrade to chrome-moly shafts since I have it all apart. My plan is to just slide the axle shafts out and slide the new ones in without taking the axle cover off. I also have new outer axle seals. I got the aluminum seals with all the o rings instead of the factory rubber slide on seal. Just wanted to see if my attack plan sounds good or if anyone has any tips to chime in. Thanks.

You can use a screwdriver in the tube opening to keep the shaft propped up and centered as you slide it in so you don’t get a bunch of dirt on it. Just be careful of the internal seal as you go in. No need to take the diff cover off.

You can use a screwdriver in the tube opening to keep the shaft propped up and centered as you slide it in so you don’t get a bunch of dirt on it. Just be careful of the internal seal as you go in. No need to take the diff cover off.
The screwdriver idea is helpful I was wondering how I was gonna get the long shaft out it without touching the side walls or bottom to much. Thanks.

How much dirt and crud have collected inside the axle tubes? Seems like now is the time to pull the carrier and give the tubes a good cleaning.

Any idea how old your inner seals are? You might consider replacing them also to pair with your brand new shafts.

How much dirt and crud have collected inside the axle tubes? Seems like now is the time to pull the carrier and give the tubes a good cleaning.

Any idea how old your inner seals are? You might consider replacing them also to pair with your brand new shafts.
I don’t know how much is in there yet but I actually replaced the axle about 2 years ago after a front end accident and I cleaned the axle then so I don’t assume to bad.

Leave those aftermarket outer tube seals in their packaging so you can return them and get a refund. There's no need or benefit to them, and they can hide a leak when the inner seal fails.

My current TJ came with them, this is what I did with them at my first opportunity.

Outer-Seals.jpg

Reactions: Tycarver
Jerry's (obviously) not a fan of them but I'm thinking the Florida mud might make him a believer. 😁

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Jerry's (obviously) not a fan of them but I'm thinking the Florida mud might make him a believer. 😁
Nope, there's no need or benefit to sealing the front axle tubes which is why the factory didn't. It's a complete waste of $$$, not to mention again that they will hide a leak from the inner axle seals which are the seals to be concerned with.

Nope, there's no need or benefit to sealing the front axle tubes which is why the factory didn't. It's a complete waste of $$$, not to mention again that they will hide a leak from the inner axle seals which are the seals to be concerned with.
To each his own. IMO the benefits outweigh the possible drawbacks. But we've been down this road before.

It keeps mud out of the tube which makes things alot easier when the shafts have to be removed.

I check my diff fluid regularly as part of my trail prep routine so any change in fluid level is easily detected. No, the outer seal doesn't mask a leaking inner seal. I've had inner seals go bad, the gear lube eventually thins out the grease in the outer seal and escapes the tube in the traditional manner.

It's ok to have a different opinion on this BTW. I realize they're not for everyone. I see lots of mud on a regular basis so I've found the outer seals to be of value.

I’ve been trying to get these pressed in the last little bit and nothing is working if anyone has any ideas.

image.jpg

The u joints feel tight too like it’s hard to move and this is happening on both shafts. I ordered a Yukon kit.
What are using to press them in? You may have a needle bearing that got out of position and is laying in the bottom of the cap preventing it to press

I check my diff fluid regularly as part of my trail prep routine so any change in fluid level is easily detected.
You are in the vast minority in that regard.
No, the outer seal doesn't mask a leaking inner seal.
Try telling that to several owners when I've explained why we don't use them and then pull the long side axle with that side slightly elevated and fluid pours out the hole in the end seal.

What are using to press them in? You may have a needle bearing that got out of position and is laying in the bottom of the cap preventing it to press
I’ve been using a vise I was careful to make sure that there was no needle bearings came out of place, I got it on Amazon so I have a new one being sent out I’m thinking the ears or something are not just right because it’s not fitting on either axle shaft and it’s not just one cap it’s multiple.

Try telling that to several owners when I've explained why we don't use them and then pull the long side axle with that side slightly elevated and fluid pours out the hole in the end seal.
I'd rather drag a long side axle thru a tube filled with gear lube than one filled with mud AND gear lube.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.