Qi Wireless Phone Charging in Your TJ

jjvw

useless stäff member
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I got a fancy new phone with fancy Qi wireless charging. Has anyone added a Qi charging coil to their TJ? Where did you put it?

Here is how I did it.

This is the 1.5 to single din adaptor plate with a small pocket below the head unit.
20150821_111718.jpg

It turns out that the pocket recedes in size towards the back. To make my phone fit all the way in, I split open the pocket and made a wood spacer to square up the opening.
20150821_111646.jpg

With the spacer in place, the gap is filled with epoxy.
20150821_140100.jpg

The spacer is wrapped in packing tape and rubbed with a light oil to release it from the epoxy.

20150821_140110.jpg

Next step is to locate where the phone coils and the charging coils line up with each other. The charging coil is not strong enough to pass through both the thickness of the plastic and my case. To fix that, I used a router and a pattern jig to scrub out a section of the pocket to decrease the overall thickness. I removed a little over a 1/16" leaving that area paper thin.
20150821_150014.jpg

The charging coil gets glued into the thinned area.
20150821_185208.jpg

The charging coil has a pair of on/off leds. Red for standby and blue for charge. I drilled a small hole on the top of the pocket to make these visible.
20150821_185137.jpg

The charging coil is powered by a standard micro-USB cord. At the moment, I have the cord snaked through the dash and plugged into a USB charging port I installed previously. I will be adding a second USB charging port hidden inside the dash in the near future.

Here is the modified adaptor plate installed. My phone fits comfortably snug on the left side and the blue charging light is visible as a glow on the right. Pictured is my old phone without Qi charging, so the indicator light is red for standby.
20150821_194942.jpg

Last edited:
That's a cool mod. I gave up on Qi charging as I kept needing to install add-ons to my phone that just didn't work well.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

I'm on my third phone with Qi, two Samsung Galaxies and a modded LG. Its always just worked for me.

Now that’s a very cool (and very original) mod! Never seen anything like this before!

Now that’s a very cool (and very original) mod! Never seen anything like this before!
I honestly think I'm the only one who has done it this way with the pocket. :)

The original thread from 2 years ago on JF didn't go on very long.

2003 Rubicon

Reactions: Chris
Very Cool! Is the pad big enough to charge the phone while its sliding around in there? Or do you have something to keep it in position?
I ended up making a filler block that sits in the right side of the pocket. It keeps the phone positioned over the charging coil.

2003 Rubicon

Last edited:
Is there a specific Qi charger that works better than others? Which was used for this install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk