Question about attaching rear fender flares

Dano2878

What did you guys use to attach the flares to the 2 holes that can't be accessed through the back side of the rear fender behind the plastic wheel well? Some kind of plastic or metal threaded insert? I am attempting pocket style flares, so a simple push pin won't cut it!!

I replaced all my fender flare fasteners with simple bolts and nuts. If you temporarily remove the inner fender liners, I found I could access all the fasteners.

I think he means the two holes on each side, which can only be accessed by cutting hole that I can see, either on the inside of the wheel well or from inside the cab. A PO of my TJ screwed them up on all four corners, thankfully the front holes are all accessible. These guys were holding them on, except the nutsert-looking things. https://www.extremeterrain.com/rugg...h9K4raulHin_aqysKbgcJ272x-p8nyIIaAg-oEALw_wcB
I'll add pics a little later, thought I had one on my phone.

Reactions: Dano2878
It's been some years since I removed the rear flares on a TJ. Are there not a few nutserts on the rear like on the front flares?

It's been some years since I removed the rear flares on a TJ. Are there not a few nutserts on the rear like on the front flares?
Three for sure, looking at my Jeep right now. Here's the two that can't be accessed. The third one is the last one on the back. As you can see, a PO goofed mine up pretty good. That's the passenger side, on the driver there is one nursert still in place, but the screw is broken off in it. [emoji849]
502ec1b7741e4b9dd35279b115496429.jpg

Reactions: Dano2878
I think he means the two holes on each side, which can only be accessed by cutting hole that I can see, either on the inside of the wheel well or from inside the cab.

This must be a TJ thing. On my LJ, I could reach all fasteners. I purposely removed all the nutserts front and rear because of a few that were loose and only spun. It took me 6 hours to remove all my flares the first time, because of spinning nutsets, and hard to grip plastic clips. It was also my first time. After replacing everything with simple nuts and bolts, I had my flares off a second time, in about 20 minutes

Mine is a '99. Here's a few more pics of where those two holes are. The last is from inside, the holes should be between the fender tub and the roll bar under that metal box/reinforcement. I've had a few other Wranglers of different years, but this was the first one that I've taken the flares off of, so they may all be a little different. I would think the LJ may have a little more room with the extra length, enough to push where the flare mounts away from where mine is. [emoji1745]
8526b6856364a32ba9f4ead707bf2b05.jpg
9e16a0424f9077d8875254173b6cc6b1.jpg
e98e611dfc4f8e0df680ce379857a011.jpg
163461e0263040573db804394de281c1.jpg

Mine is a '99. Here's a few more pics of where those two holes are. The last is from inside, the holes should be between the fender tub and the roll bar under that metal box/reinforcement.

The LJ flares definitely have access to the mounts.

Three for sure, looking at my Jeep right now. Here's the two that can't be accessed. The third one is the last one on the back. As you can see, a PO goofed mine up pretty good. That's the passenger side, on the driver there is one nursert still in place, but the screw is broken off in it. [emoji849]View attachment 89443
Drill out the nutsert and put a new one in

Drill out the nutsert and put a new one in

Why not just replace the "spinning" nutsert with a simple nut and bolt? It's gonna spin again by time you get around to having to remove it anyway right? I mean other than wanting to stay original. Is there anything that makes the nutsert better than a simpler fastener i.e. - nut and bolt?

I've been putting off and dreading this operation (no pun intended) forever. As I've had three back surgeries. And bending down to spend 6 hours removing all the fasteners sounds deadly painful to me. I'm about to spend money having a bodyshop remove and replace them. Just to avoid the pain. Normally it wouldn't bother me at all. But my two lumbar artificial discs are not good. Super painful when bending over like that.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
If you have access to them, and you have some of the hardware linked in post #4, I’d just use those.

If you don’t have the linked hardware in post #4, and you have access, a bolt, nut and couple washers would be fine. I’d use a lock washer on the nut side, or a nylon locking nut.