Question about different type of synthetic winch line

BigWheel88

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Was curious of thoughts on different types of synthetic lines. I really don't know why some like Warn are so much more expensive. Warn was in the $300 range . https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8Q9XDP/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I was looking at these two Ranger brand on Amazon which were much cheaper

This which seems pretty standard $120 (i have read i should remove the sleeve). is this much worse than the Warn brand?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074J1S8NQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

This with a "jacket" that covers the whole length. $140. Because of this it appears you can't undo the installed thimble to install a one of the safety thimbles that the rope goes through https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07212SY8H

I have an older model Warn 9.5ti which came with 125 of steel cable. I am guessing the 100 foot synthetic should be fine. Maybe I am over thinking and any would be better/safer than the steel

Last edited:
$300 would be difficult for me to justify, even based on some additional specs! But my .02c are not educated, just my opinion. I have synthetic on my Superwinch and the whole thing cost $479!

Was curious of thoughts on different types of synthetic lines. I really don't know why some like Warn are so much more expensive. Warn was in the $300 range . https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8Q9XDP/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I was looking at these two on Amazon same brand

This which seems pretty standard $120 (i have read i should remove the sleeve). is this much worse than the Warn brand?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074J1S8NQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

This with a "jacket" that covers the whole length. $140. Because of this it appears you can't undo the installed thimble to install a one of the safety thimbles that the rope goes through https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07212SY8H

I have an older model Warn 9.5ti which came with 125 of steel cable. I am guessing the 100 foot synthetic should be fine. Maybe I am over thinking and any would be better/safer than the steel
Dude seriously, the cheaper two don't have that red Warn flag. That alone is 150 or so. Come on catch up.:)

I prefer my synthetic rope to the Warn based on my own testing and use. If your winch came with 125ft of 5/16" steel cable, then yes 100ft of 3/8" is correct. You must reduce length if you step up diamter, 15-20ft is a good rule of thumb. And while I would like you to buy my rope, even if you choose something else, at least do yourself a favor and spring for our Safety Thimble 2. There is simply not a better winchrope termination out there! And I do provide a forum discount :thumbsup:

Don't you have to worry about the heat build up when putting synthetic rope on an older winch? I think the jacket is supposed to help with that.

If you use your winch to repel your rig off cliffs then maybe lol. The heat buildup is most when you spool out under load, even then you'd have to do that for a while. Some manufacturers go way overboard with that on their ropes. (I actually cut it off the Warn ropes I do installs on) I've been using synthetic rope for about 12 years now and not one single time has heat buildup at the drum ever been a concern, much less cause any type of issue. I also don't run the silly nylon sleeve that comes on most ropes (including mine TRE) because it abrades the rope as it slides through IF you try to use it as an abrasion guard. Not to mention all the hassle of bunching up at the drum. There are videos on my youtube that prove this! BUT because every single customer would ask me why there isn't one, we put them on there.

Very simple test to prove a very simple point. Top video has a real point of contact abrasion guard. Second video is traveling solely through the nylon sleeve...

Last edited:
I'm really not stuck on any brand. I guess i was not totally clear. Just taking just the rope into the equation and not thinking about thimbles (which i do plan to get). What might be the difference between your 3/8 100' rope here which also cost 300 and this Ranger Dyneema 3/8 100' which only cost 120.

Do see on TRE site listed it as `12 strand SK75` which I will do some research to understand. Since not listed on the other rope I guess they may not be made to that spec. Some like the Warn and Bubba rope ( good lord the Bubba was expensive) list a bunch of special coatings, etc, but that may all be marketing voodoo they want me to pay for.

All the sites i find talk about the difference between synthetic and steel. but not between types of synthetic. my google search skills need to improve i think

I have never heard of Ranger (until now) and know nothing of their product. I could "spec" you to death, but what good is all that info if you don't know how to apply it. All I can say is to choose whatever from whoever you are comfortable with. There are many considerations but like anything I buy I expect to have the support of the company I purchased product from. Not all ropes are the same spec....and you are correct on the "marketing" aspect.

Reactions: BigWheel88
What is your thoughts on rope life? As a former rock climber we tossed out any rope over 5 years old, as the alpine association's testing showed that it lost 50% of its strength in that time period, even if not used and stored in ideal conditions. I know winch rope is a different construction and wondered if it suffered the same effects.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Mud dauber
I was looking at these two Ranger brand on Amazon which were much cheaper
I would just like to say, i've had good experience with Ranger products, I own several. Not synth winch line but I do own a Warn M8-S. I would totally consider getting their synth line as a replacement when the time comes though, based on the quality i've seen so far.

Reactions: BigWheel88
What is your thoughts on rope life? As a former rock climber we tossed out any rope over 5 years old, as the alpine association's testing showed that it lost 50% of its strength in that time period, even if not used and stored in ideal conditions. I know winch rope is a different construction and wondered if it suffered the same effects.

I don't have any hard spec on synthetic winchrope life, only real world experience in offroad vehicle recovery. My Jeep had the same Amsteel Blue line on it for 7 years. It is faded, rough in some spots, but it worked fine right up until I removed it only to switch to a different color!. I still have it wrapped up sitting on a shelf at the shop. We have used our winchropes on all our rigs in the Las Vegas sun, heat, sand, and silt on rigs that sit outside all day, uncovered...for about 4-5 years now. All are still in use and not one single failure due to UV or any mother nature related effect.

I even have soft shackles I put in use more than 5 years ago that look really rough and I still pull those out first and use them all the time! (made from same rope we use on our winchropes)

Most issues are user error and not paying attention to what you are doing, or just poor rigging practices. I always recommend an inspection of the entire length of rope after any trip it was used and you have any doubt if it came in contact with any surface other than air.

Don't you have to worry about the heat build up when putting synthetic rope on an older winch? I think the jacket is supposed to help with that.
To add to Ricky's (@Garza) great info on that, it is the winch's drum brake that causes heat and the brake is only used when the winch is being operated in its Reverse direction. Like, as Ricky (Garza) said, if you were to have an unusual need to lower yourself backwards over a cliff. In the normal inward winching direction, the brake is not used so no heat is generated so there's no legitimate need to worry about it.

I'm using TRE's 3/8" synthetic rope, it is outstanding quality, the below photos show the day I installed it a little over four years ago. Yes that is duct tape on the drum. All you need is a wrap or two of duct tape to hold the tail of the winch line down for the first layer to be wrapped over the top of. It is that tail on the drum under the first layer of rope that holds the winch line in place, not the little screw that holds it well enough to get the winch line started when first spooling it on.

And X2 to Ricky's advice to go with the Safety Thimble. It's a far better, safer, and more usable than a typical hook is. And the hawse I'm using is great due to it positioning the Safety Thimble (etc.) up on top instead of sticking out in the front which can get in the way of steep approaches to an obstacle.

IMAG1862.jpg

Incidentally, that small steel line holder on the left in the below photo should end up facing up. I didn't get a photo of it once I got it positioned as it should be. It should be pointing toward the direction of pull. :)

IMAG1870.jpg
IMAG1879.jpg
IMAG1881.jpg

Last edited:
@BigWheel88 -

I'm reading this and just keep saying to myself that if I was in your shoes I would be just going with @Garza because he is trying to help you and isn't even being pushy about his product or degrading about other products that you might be considering. That's the kind of support I look for and is the reason that I started buying stuff a while back that is built by someone with care and not off the slow boat from China and sold by an Amazon seller that has no passion for our hobby, it's just another product to them. If your line snapped, wouldn't you rather say "Damnit, I'm calling @Garza" vs "I'm going to go on amazon and change my review to 1 star, that'll teach em! Then I'm going to hit contact seller and write them an email and if they are still in business they might respond to me to tell me that there aren't any replacements to give because they just bought a shipment of them and sold them out that one time". See my point? Buy local, not cheap. Just my. 02

I can attest to the thimble as a nicely done piece. I'd like to add some soft shackles to the bag eventually, would lighten up the load quite a bit.
lcxkzO6bnA64ZR3PA3MCiOd54-wDjOkD_VChIfR7y0TIDXKf2_MPmAp__WbPMVQvo664oSwBZ6hQTlK65oo=w359-h637-no.jpg

@BigWheel88 -

I'm reading this and just keep saying to myself that if I was in your shoes I would be just going with @Garza because he is trying to help you and isn't even being pushy about his product or degrading about other products that you might be considering. That's the kind of support I look for and is the reason that I started buying stuff a while back that is built by someone with care and not off the slow boat from China and sold by an Amazon seller that has no passion for our hobby, it's just another product to them. If your line snapped, wouldn't you rather say "Damnit, I'm calling @Garza" vs "I'm going to go on amazon and change my review to 1 star, that'll teach em! Then I'm going to hit contact seller and write them an email and if they are still in business they might respond to me to tell me that there aren't any replacements to give because they just bought a shipment of them and sold them out that one time". See my point? Buy local, not cheap. Just my. 02

Did I say I was or wasn't? I said it was a plus he was here and responding. I appreciate everyone providing any info they can.

Did I say I was or wasn't? I said it was a plus he was here and responding. I appreciate everyone providing any info they can.
I wasn't saying that with any attitude, just pointing out that he is being helpful and seems like a good fit for your needs is all

Thanks @Garza it's something I've been wondering about ever since I switched. Now I know I'm good for at least 7 years ;) my search for data continues.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.