Question about gear ratio in a TJ Rubicon automatic with Rubicrawler

Rubicon with 42RLE gets 5.38's

If you don't have 44's or better and can't run 5.38's the best you can do is 5.13's

End of debate

Reactions: L J
the science is settled 🧐

2f5qtk.jpg

I had 4.88s with 35s and the 42RLE, it's not low enough.

I also have 4.88 pushing 35s with the 42rle. It isn't low enough, either. 5.38s will happen someday soon.

To add, 4.88 is almost perfectly wrong. It isn't low enough with the overdrive. It is nearly too low with overdrive turned off.

Reactions: mudmaster
OK, I ordered the gears and they arrived on Tuesday. 5.38s from Revolution gear it is. I also made another questionable choice. Some may say this is a waste of money, but I ordered the Jana K4 kit and the gears were for the D44JK. So I hope the shop will know what to do to fit the Jana K4 kit. I already have alloy axles drilled with both the 4.5" and 5" hub patterns, so I am going to switch to 5.5" and put the Yukon Spin Free kit up front.

OK, I ordered the gears and they arrived on Tuesday. 5.38s from Revolution gear it is. I also made another questionable choice. Some may say this is a waste of money, but I ordered the Jana K4 kit and the gears were for the D44JK. So I hope the shop will know what to do to fit the Jana K4 kit. I already have alloy axles drilled with both the 4.5" and 5" hub patterns, so I am going to switch to 5.5" and put the Yukon Spin Free kit up front.
You're removing your Rubicon lockers?

I didn't plan to. Carl Jantz who makes the Jana K4 kit told me it will work with the OEM Rubicon lockers.
Ok, it sure doesn't sound like they would from having read their writeup. Personally I'd stay with a standard thick gear 5.38 from Revolution Gear, as I am running quite happily, which doesn't require any extra work.

Gear Boxes 2.jpg