Question about LED turn signal lights

Frank

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Put 3157 led amber bulbs in front turn signals on my 2005 wrangler X and put a led blinker in also. side marker lights wont come on except when turn signals are active, they blink, but when I turn park lights or headlights on, they work same but turn indicaters on dash stay on. use the turn signals and dash blinks correctly but never go off. Could I have a bad blinker? Everything was working correctly before I started. I also have LED tail lights but afraid to put them in until I get front end lights working right. Ideas??

You need a LED turn signal flasher relay in order for it to work properly with LEDs. Without it you'll be out of luck.

In addition to that you don't want to put LED light bulbs in the side markers (on the fender flares) because that will make things act really funky. Trust me, I've been down this route before with my TJ!

Reactions: Frank
You need a LED turn signal flasher relay in order for it to work properly with LEDs. Without it you'll be out of luck.

In addition to that you don't want to put LED light bulbs in the side markers (on the fender flares) because that will make things act really funky. Trust me, I've been down this route before with my TJ!
Tried 2 different LED Flashers and neither one did any good, lights on dash would stay on even though the turn signals would blink as supposed to. Ended up taking LED bulbs (3157) out and putting old standard bulbs In and all is well. I guess these Jeeps are not ready for a more modern world! But that is ok, They still do what we want and don't ask questions!!! LOL Great vehicles.

Tried 2 different LED Flashers and neither one did any good, lights on dash would stay on even though the turn signals would blink as supposed to. Ended up taking LED bulbs (3157) out and putting old standard bulbs In and all is well. I guess these Jeeps are not ready for a more modern world! But that is ok, They still do what we want and don't ask questions!!! LOL Great vehicles.

Oh yeah, the blinker signals on the dash will stay on (though very faint), regardless of the LED flasher relay you use. I just got used to it on mine, because honestly they were so faint that it was obvious when they are on and off.

Oh yeah, the blinker signals on the dash will stay on (though very faint), regardless of the LED flasher relay you use. I just got used to it on mine, because honestly they were so faint that it was obvious when they are on and off.
The tech guy at superbriteled said they might need the resistors even though we have the led blinker in them. I asked if they would cure the problem, he said not sure, never heard of them doing this.
So yours stays on also? Maybe I am too picky, just like things to work like supposed to. Might try them again, not sure.

The tech guy at superbriteled said they might need the resistors even though we have the led blinker in them. I asked if they would cure the problem, he said not sure, never heard of them doing this.
So yours stays on also? Maybe I am too picky, just like things to work like supposed to. Might try them again, not sure.

Yep, my blinker indicators on the dash stay on, but very, very dimly lit, so it doesn't bother me at all. Once I turn the blinkers on, then they light up just like normal. I've just learned to live with it. I could be nit-picky, but I just accepted it until I have more time to figure it out.

Reactions: Frank
Yep, my blinker indicators on the dash stay on, but very, very dimly lit, so it doesn't bother me at all. Once I turn the blinkers on, then they light up just like normal. I've just learned to live with it. I could be nit-picky, but I just accepted it until I have more time to figure it out.
Mine are bright but do blink when turn signals are on. I'll keep tryin to figure out. Let me know if you come up with something. My other 2005 wrangler had same bulbs but no problems, wonder what difference is? Oh well, probably just my luck.

Mine are bright but do blink when turn signals are on. I'll keep tryin to figure out. Let me know if you come up with something. My other 2005 wrangler had same bulbs but no problems, wonder what difference is? Oh well, probably just my luck.

Mine stay on with LEDs in the front/side indicator lights. Originally with just the Savvy LED Tail lights they didn't stay on. I've just gotten used to it and laugh because it drives my daughter up a wall.

Reactions: MikeE024
Mine stay on with LEDs in the front/side indicator lights. Originally with just the Savvy LED Tail lights they didn't stay on. I've just gotten used to it and laugh because it drives my daughter up a wall.
Mine the same way. Guess I am like your daughter, bugs the crap out of me! Lol oh well, I am going to try several things, either I get it to work correctly or try to live with it.

Anybody have any updated knowledge on the subject? I have LED rear tail lights with LED specific flasher in the steering colomb and works fine. Added the front LED ‘switchback’ amber/white turn signal bulbs (kept original incandescent side marker fender flare bulbs) and they turn on but will not blink. Do these also need a resistor? Or is it something else?

Anybody have any updated knowledge on the subject? I have LED rear tail lights with LED specific flasher in the steering colomb and works fine. Added the front LED ‘switchback’ amber/white turn signal bulbs (kept original incandescent side marker fender flare bulbs) and they turn on but will not blink. Do these also need a resistor? Or is it something else?

They shouldn't need a resistor. I have LED front turn signal bulbs, headlights, and taillights. I used the EP26 LED flasher relay and don't have any issues.

I think I know what going on with the variablity here on why some Tjs have problems, and others don't.

I'm a big fan of this
—->site
for anything automotive lighting related. He has an article about side marker flash
—>here
Where he reveals that in 2003, the side markers used to flash with the signals, and in 2004 they did not.
He also give a possible solution with relays. Not sure if this is 100% applicable, but it might give some other options, up to and including a 50 dollar module that gives you parking light DRL and flashing side markers. Supposed to work unfailing with whatever lights you have. I may actually go this route, as I'm a believer in DRL.

Reactions: Osprey Production
Soo i may be really late to the party, but there is a much cheaper alternative to an aftermarket LED flasher relay. I modified my stock flasher relay and cut the circuit that tells the system for the hyper flash. Seems to work pretty well and I've had my LED's (Front, rear and indicators installed for a couple of months now. I believe there is a you tube video to take you though the exact steps and what circuit to cut. I can provide pictures if needed

Soo i may be really late to the party, but there is a much cheaper alternative to an aftermarket LED flasher relay. I modified my stock flasher relay and cut the circuit that tells the system for the hyper flash. Seems to work pretty well and I've had my LED's (Front, rear and indicators installed for a couple of months now. I believe there is a you tube video to take you though the exact steps and what circuit to cut. I can provide pictures if needed
That works but only for 1997 to 2000 flasher relays. Here's a great FAQ on the turn signal flasher issues... https://www.stu-offroad.com//electrical/led1/led-5.htm

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
They shouldn't need a resistor. I have LED front turn signal bulbs, headlights, and taillights. I used the EP26 LED flasher relay and don't have any issues.
Does that relay go in the steering column like pictured below?

LED Taillight Flasher Relay.JPG