Question about mounting spare tire on bumper vs tailgate

Coastout

New to the forum and I sourced this question best I could before posting.

I picked up an 04’ TJ with 35” tires and am looking for some kind of combo that will let me do the following.

Access the back of the Jeep easily, prefer swing out, definitely not down.

Retain a receiver hitch, this is a must have.

I’m down close to the Texas coast and cheap bumpers or tailgate frames that rust quickly are a no go.

I have read about the tailgate beef up frames as another option, but will they carry a 35 without tearing the back of the Jeep up over time?

I am not opposed to either style of install , but given the 35” tire what do you recommend brand wise?

The Morryde is the best option if you want the tire mounted on the tailgate. It will handle a 35 with no problem. I have found it to be the easiest for accessing the back of the Jeep and I would buy it again. As far as swing outs are concerned there are several quality brands and I'm sure others with first hand experience can give some recommendations.

Reactions: JMT
I recently went the MORryde route. I will be going to 35in tyres. My original hinges were really tight and had to use both hands to swing the tailgate out.
tailgate006.jpg

The Morryde is the best option if you want the tire mounted on the tailgate. It will handle a 35 with no problem. I have found it to be the easiest for accessing the back of the Jeep and I would buy it again. As far as swing outs are concerned there are several quality brands and I'm sure others with first hand experience can give some recommendations.
Do you have any experience with this vs the exogate?

I’m assuming both will need a beefed up actual tire mount for 35?

Yes sir
I read that first but don’t know enough about either to make a sound decision.
I’m not going to cry over $100 if one is more to my needs,
Particularly a good lasting finish

Yes sir
I read that first but don’t know enough about either to make a sound decision.
I’m not going to cry over $100 if one is more to my needs,
Particularly a good lasting finish
Functionally the are the same. I wish I could give a direct comparison. I can attest to the finish of the Morryde. The fitment was perfect and the powdercoat is sturdy. I actually bought mine 2nd hand. It was installed for some time, removed, shipped and reinstalled without any noticable damage to the powdercoat. I had originally purchased a Bestop tire carrier (that has since been discontinued). I decided not to installed it after so many people on here recommend the Morryde. It does appear that the Exogate is on backorder if that makes the decision easier.

This is my other idea, looking at close to $900 for bumper and tire mount tho right ?

$831.98 back in April... not cheap. If you happen to have issues with vendors such as quadratec showing item being perpetually backordered, as I did, you can contact them directly as they'll sell directly to you and maybe give you a 10% discount on vendor price. Shipping was free as well.

If you end up deciding to go this route, RJ helped me out. [email protected]

$831.98 back in April... not cheap. If you happen to have issues with vendors such as quadratec showing item being perpetually backordered, as I did, you can contact them directly as they'll sell directly to you and maybe give you a 10% discount on vendor price. Shipping was free as well.

If you end up deciding to go this route, RJ helped me out. [email protected]
Thanks !
Good looking setup for sure