Question about pressing in control arm bushings

weldedcambolt

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Question that always baffles the dyslexcia............going to press in a bushing upper front. froze it to get it smaller. now, the metal hole that the control arm bushing goes into, is outside an probably at the same temp as the freezer, so that hole got smaller, also, or did it get larger, from the cold? If i heat that hole up on the axle upper control arm bracket, to press in the control arm bushing, will that hole get bigger from expansion from the heat, or get smaller, since its expanding an all the metal around in the hole, will be expanding inward, making the hole smaller? so will heat an the cold make the bracket hole smaller, as the freezer will make the bushing smaller? what would be the perfect temperature for the axle bracket to be, an the perfect temperature of the bushing be, to get em to slide in with ease? any scientists out there?

did the outside of the bracket get smaller, but the inside of the hole get bigger from the cold. :)

Last edited:
Are you pressing new bushings into the stock arms? I think most scientists recommend buying new arms?
cold = shrinkage
heat = expand

If you heat up a donut and the donut expands, does the donut hole get larger or smaller?

Are you pressing new bushings into the stock arms? I think most scientists recommend buying new arms?

If you heat up a donut and the donut expands, does the donut hole get larger or smaller?
You got me on that one...I would still think the hole gets bigger, but my problem is I keep eating the donuts too fast to test your theory!:p

Reactions: SpikeMaul and jjvw
img019.jpg

cold shrinkage, heat expansion - now on that note, cold would shrink the hole, an heat would also shrink the hole cause its expanding into the center of the hole? correct? ...na wait a minute, cold would make the hole in the center bigger? expanding the hole...?

Reactions: JMT and KCsTJ
You got me on that one...I would still think the hole gets bigger, but my problem is I keep eating the donuts too fast to test your theory!:p

I'm going to overthink this because I like the drawing. I think it depends on the hole and what it is located inside of. In this case, the tube side hole might expand because the surrounding bracket is relatively thin. The diff side might shrink because there is more meat around the hole. Maybe. I would expect a hole in a big block of steel to shrink when the steel block is heated.

cold shrinkage, heat expansion - now on that note, cold would shrink the hole, an heat would also shrink the hole cause its expanding into the center of the hole? correct? ...na wait a minute, cold would make the hole in the center bigger? expanding the hole...?

Right or wrong, that's my thought right now. :)

I'm going to overthink this because I like the drawing. I think it depends on the hole and what it is located inside of. In this case, the tube side hole might expand because the surrounding bracket is relatively thin. The diff side might shrink because there is more meat around the hole. Maybe. I would expect a hole in a block of steel tp shrink when the steel block is heated.

:) would the force of the shrinkage on the outside push against the contraction of the center of the hole against the force of the outside shrinking? I will be back, i got to go make a run for something.

:) would the force of the shrinkage on the outside push against the contraction of the center of the hole against the force of the outside shrinking? I will be back, i got to go make a run for something.
Most people just press them in and somehow get it done. :)

2003 Rubicon

Right or wrong, that's my thought right now. :)

Most people just press them in and somehow get it done.

we will get it done, but, thers got to be the optimum temp of both, to make it a perfect press for all in the land of self bushing pressers an mechnics....we find the perfect temp press.......we eliminate millions of work hours in the bushing press senario.....to spent more time rolling:)

Reactions: jjvw
From

https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...-a-metal-disc-expand-or-contract-upon-heating

Will a hole cut into a metal disk expand or shrink when the disc is heated?

The metal disc of diameter D1 has a hole in it and the diameter of the hole is D2

Imagine that the hole is filled with another disk of exactly the same diameter as the hole (initially D2) and made from the same material. Once both discs heat up, they will expand as if they were a single solid object. Since the small disk expands, we conclude that the hole in the large disc must expand too.

I guess you could consider the end of the control arm the 'disc'...o_O

Reactions: KCsTJ
From

https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...-a-metal-disc-expand-or-contract-upon-heating

The metal disc of diameter D1 has a hole in it and the diameter of the hole is D2

Imagine that the hole is filled with another disk of exactly the same diameter as the hole (initially D2) and made from the same material. Once both discs heat up, they will expand as if they were a single solid object. Since the small disk expands, we conclude that the hole in the large disc must expand too.

Yeah but is the disk's (D2) expansion pushing the expansion of the D1 Hole? why couldn't they just measure cold and hot and give us dimensions?

You said balljoint once and control arm bushing a couple times.
Heating the knuckle where the balljoint goes will expand the diameter of the hole. It isn’t needed to press a balljoint though.
Just put some grease on the joint and tap it in with a hammer.

Reactions: JMT
You said balljoint once and control arm bushing a couple times.
Heating the knuckle where the balljoint goes will expand the diameter of the hole. It isn’t needed to press a balljoint though.
Just put some grease on the joint and tap it in with a hammer.

ya, it was control arm bushing, i thought i fixed it......

From

after reading that tread with physics.....i now dont feel so dumb for asking that question.......i dont think any of them know either:)

I got the bushings pressed in.....what a mess trying to figure out, which tool will work in that 200 hundred dollar kit i got/loaned from autozone.....an then trying to get it up there, without all them pieces falling off.....that dana bracket on the passenger side, them things got to break all the time....their junk...mine was alright but i see nothing but problems with that thing crackin, rustin......with takin out bushings acouple times, if you got to. they need reinforced. the measurement of the bushing in freezer was 45.3mm. the measure ment of the upper bushing front hole was 44.9mm outside temp about 35f. heated up the bracket to about 90f an the measurement of the hole went to 45mm from 44.9mm. so i am assuming that went bigger o.1mm with the heat. you guys owe me for a donut, some propane, a temperature gauge/surface, an an inside digital caliper:) the problem is, if you know the exact temperature of each that you should have for the perfect press, you better have the right press tool, to waste no time, due to cooling an heating of the items at perfect temperature. now how to roll the axle back to get the arms on:) an once i got the tool up there, an hand turned the press in with a socket, instead of using an impact, the turns i was pressing the bushing in was about 80 ftpounds till i got to the end then was about 130 ftpds.

now i had a difference in diameter of .4mm of the frozen bushing an the control arm bracket hole. now once its unfrozen i am sure it would be larger. is there any kind of safety tolerance to say. if bracket hole is only o.3mm of a smaller difference than the bushing, then it is not safe, to put in? so you would know if the hole was to big, the bushing would not stay in, an be unsafe. are there any charts out there anybody seen with correct bushing holes an sizes of the bushings to be inserted?

Last edited:
Reactions: jjvw