Question for anyone with a factory Gentex compass / temperature mirror

Yep, tried that!

I got screwed! I went back to look at the eBay auction I won. It says GNTX-221 in the title, in the add, and it even shows photos of the back of the mirror with "GNTX-221" imprinted on it.

I went out just now to look at my mirror, and it has GNTX-177 imprinted on it, and a totally different part number as well!

So in other words, I bought the right mirror, but the seller sent me a totally different mirror!!!

I guess that explains a lot. Ugh.
Any recourse to return it?

Any recourse to return it?

I sent the seller an email. I think he has to let me return it since I received something that wasn't what was advertised in the photos / auction.

I only paid $50 for it, but I'm still peeved that I have to go look for a new one, and all the Gentex 221 mirrors I am seeing are at least $110.

Just get a few more "Supporting Members" :)

I found one for $110 and ordered it, this one is from an auto-wrecking yard and looks to be in great condition. Hopefully this time it's actually a GNTX-221, though from the photos you can tell it is, as it has the larger display screen on the front of the mirror.

As for the one I have now, the seller is going to give me a refund, so I'm happy with that.

Reactions: CodaMan and Daryl
It is the Jeep gods telling you to get a Gentex 341.

I was heavily considering it. My only issue is that being as old as the Gentex 341 is, I'm really concerned as to whether or not it would work with our brand new garage door (just had it installed this year). It's a Lift Master that uses WiFi technology so that I can open it from an app on my phone anywhere in the world.

It of course has a traditional garage door opener as well, I'm just not 100% sure if the 341 would work though since it's a lot older than our garage door opener. I figured this was a big gamble.

Hi,

Can someone post a picture of what the mirror looks like mounted in their TJ? I know the connector for the mirror is under the top dash cover. Curious as to how the wiring gets routed up to the mirror. I would love to install one of these in my TJ. My '04 Dodge RAM has temp and compass as does my '06 Jeep Commander......I know a bit old fartish but it belonged to my father in-law and my wife insisted we buy it from him when he quit driving.

thanks,
Fonz

According to KJ, you can use your 177 with the factory harness. In this thread.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/rearview-mirror-harness.3363/

I put in a Gentex 177 mirror which isn't the correct one for my 03 but did work after re-pinning the harness. I found out there were several Gentex mirrors used by Jeep. You can crack the mirror open and the pins should be marked on the board. I'll try to find the wiring schematic for the mirror harness, in the meantime if your mirror is a 177 here's the correct pinout for the harness. There's a pink/white wire missing that is hot all the time that I pulled out to use elsewhere. I think the yellow wire is dome lights but it wasn't needed.

View attachment 9743

I took a flat metal strap about a 1"wide & I think 3" long drilled a hole in it for the bolt
just above the door switch the strap would cover the switch, put the bolt in the hole that you drilled being carful when ya tighten it down that you push the plunger part of the switch in then it works as if the doors are on. then put your fuse back in

Reactions: Chris
I just finished installing my Gentex 221 (GNTX-221) compass / temperature mirror in my Rubicon. It plugged right in, and everything works as it should.

However, upon plugging it in, I notice that the LED lights on the underside of the mirror (reading lights I guess they call them) will not turn off even when pressing the buttons on the mirror to turn them off. They just will not go off no matter what, unless I turn the interior lights on (the dome lights) using the switch on the turn signal stalk.

I want to say this has something to do with my doors being off, but I also have fuse #4 pulled, so the interior lights in the vehicle don't come on when the doors are removed as it is.

Any idea what I might be missing here?
chris id try to duplicate the doors on by the metal strap I was talking about at night if I need lights to put the key in I use the dimmer roller switch if that don't work id go back to your wiring

Reactions: Chris
Reactions: CodaMan and zebra12
The problem may be resolved by using a different mirror, but I wanted to add a couple of things:
I have identified four different versions of the GNTX-221 mirror:
Map Lights Only
Map Lights & Compass
Map Lights, Compass, & Temperature - Single line display
Map Lights, Compass, & Temperature - Dual line display

The first three have almost the same connector pin-outs. The ones without the temperature display appear to have the feeds for side mirror dimmers. The ones with temperature display have inputs for the temperature sensor in place of the side mirror dinner feeds.

The dual display is different.

Here are the pin outs:

I I
I 1 I 2 I 3 I 4 I 5 I 6 I 7 I
I_____________________I
GNTX-221 - Map Lights Only
1 - +12V Switched-RUN/START
2 - Ground
3 - Reverse Feed (+)
4 - Door Mirror Feed (+)
5 - Door Mirror Feed (-)
6 - Door Switch (-)
7 - Fused B(+)

GNTX-221 - Map Lights & Compass
2 - Ground
3 - Reverse Feed (+)
4 - Door Mirror Feed (+)
5 - Door Mirror Feed (-)
6 - Door Switch (-)
7 - Fused B(+)

GNTX-221 - Map Lights, Compass, & Temperature - Single line display
2 - Ground
3 - Reverse Feed (+)
4 - Temp Sensor (+)
5 - Temp Sensor (-)
6 - Door Switch (-)
7 - Fused B(+)

GNTX-221 - Map Lights, Compass, & Temperature - Dual line display
*2 - Door Switch (-)
3 - Reverse Feed
4 - Temp Sensor (+)
5 - Temp Sensor (-)
*6 - GROUND
7 - FUSED B(+)

IF anyone finds any errors, please let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ
I am unable to edit my last post.
I had to correct the last pin-out:

GNTX-221 - Map Lights, Compass, & Temperature - Dual line display
1 - FUSED B(+)
2 - Door Switch (-)
3 - Temp Sensor (-)
4 - Temp Sensor (+)
5 - Reverse Feed
6 - GROUND
7 - +12V Switched-RUN/START

IF anyone finds any errors, please let me know.

Okay, so then all that can explain this is a bad mirror I guess.

Also, all my mirror says is "C" in the digital read out. No temp, no compass.

When you start yours up, does it immediately say the temp and direction on it? Or do you have to drive around for a while for that info to register?
I have exactly same issue, is this just a coincidence or there is a mistake in installation, my maplight on the driver side doesn't go off no matter what I do