Question for current & former XJ owners...

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
As I was watching my bride drive off to work in her '96 XJ 2-door, I was thinking just what a great little rig it has been, and how much she loves it. It got me to wondering what current and former XJ owners think of them, and how the XJ compares to the TJ in all manner of things. The single biggest knock against them that I've heard is their uni-body construction. But I'll tell you what, you sure see a lot of them being wheeled out there. And there seems to be no lack of aftermarket support for them, either. I personally have always felt that if someone wanted to really beat the snot out of a rig off-roading, the XJ might be the perfect candidate, as they're so cheap to obtain that you could transfer all your heavy duty stuff over to another body when the former rig just got too bad-off. Anyway, I was just wondering what folks thought...

Reactions: StG58
I had a mate who was a builder and seemed to go through more cars than anyone I know.(never did oil changes, tune ups or generally looked after his cars)..however, his XJ lasted him almost 4 years I think. Carried his tools and wood on the roof plus towed well above its suggested weight....as a robust, work horse that was abused in some way every day haha it held up well.

I had a mate who was a builder and seemed to go through more cars than anyone I know.(never did oil changes, tune ups or generally looked after his cars)..however, his XJ lasted him almost 4 years I think. Carried his tools and wood on the roof plus towed well above its suggested weight....as a robust, work horse that was abused in some way every day haha it held up well.

Yeah, I would think the drivetrains would be on par with the Wranglers (TJ and earlier), as there are so many shared components. The '96 and up 4.0 supposedly was the best of that configuration, from everything I've read. Lots of them on Craigslist with 300,000+ miles on 'em, so they gotta be doing somethin' right!

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Yeah, I would think the drivetrains would be on par with the Wranglers (TJ and earlier), as there are so many shared components. The '96 and up 4.0 supposedly was the best of that configuration, from everything I've read. Lots of them on Craigslist with 300,000+ miles on 'em, so they gotta be doing somethin' right!
Amen to that !! lol

Reactions: Squatch
My issue with the XJ (after owning 5 of them) is that being as though it's a unibody vehicle, any sort of flexing causes the entire chassis to tweak. Mine had gotten to the point where it was hard to shut the front doors because of how tweaked the body had become. And consider that this wasn't doing insane rock crawling. Sure, I was off-road and I was flexing, but it didn't take nearly as much as I thought to twist the body by a few millimeters or so, which was enough to cause these issues.

Other than that, I think they are great. But the body-on-frame of the TJ is much, much better for off-roading.

My issue with the XJ (after owning 5 of them) is that being as though it's a unibody vehicle, any sort of flexing causes the entire chassis to tweak. Mine had gotten to the point where it was hard to shut the front doors because of how tweaked the body had become. And consider that this wasn't doing insane rock crawling. Sure, I was off-road and I was flexing, but it didn't take nearly as much as I thought to twist the body by a few millimeters or so, which was enough to cause these issues.

Other than that, I think they are great. But the body-on-frame of the TJ is much, much better for off-roading.

That's the kind of info I was looking for, @Chris. I think maybe @StG58 has one (or had one). Hoping to get some input from him, as well... :)

You can get "frame braces" such as these ones:
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/XJRAIL.html

You weld them on and supposedly they make the body stiffer and therefore harder to tweak. I can't comment on whether or not they make a difference since I've never used them. Perhaps someone like @mrblaine knows for sure whether those work or not.

It's not just me though, I've seen a number of XJ owners who end up eventually being able to not shut their doors easily and having other body related issues due to the flex.

I'm no guru on the subject, but it seems that doing serious off-roading in a unibody vehicle may not be the best idea?

I'm no guru on the subject, but it seems that doing serious off-roading in a unibody vehicle may not be the best idea?

It would seem like that would be a logical assumption (he said in his best Mr. Spock voice). I myself have always been partial to full-framed vehicles, in general. Perhaps there are so many XJs being wheeled because they are so cheap to obtain. I suspect they probably outsold the Wranglers in huge numbers throughout the years, as well. The used market would surely be flooded with them...

Reactions: Chris
I recently saw an XJ pass me on the interstate. It was white, nice wheels, done up a bit. In awesome shape. No rust, paint very nice.

I had never considered owning one until I saw that one. I think it would make a nice 3rd vehicle to haul the family in....

You can get "frame braces" such as these ones:
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/XJRAIL.html

You weld them on and supposedly they make the body stiffer and therefore harder to tweak. I can't comment on whether or not they make a difference since I've never used them. Perhaps someone like @mrblaine knows for sure whether those work or not.

It's not just me though, I've seen a number of XJ owners who end up eventually being able to not shut their doors easily and having other body related issues due to the flex.

Chris - I welded a set of Ruff Stuff stiffeners on one of my XJ's. They are well made and easy to install. I have yet to push the Jeep hard (not that I will much any way) but all reports I read seem to say they do a good job.

As I was watching my bride drive off to work in her '96 XJ 2-door, I was thinking just what a great little rig it has been, and how much she loves it. It got me to wondering what current and former XJ owners think of them, and how the XJ compares to the TJ in all manner of things. The single biggest knock against them that I've heard is their uni-body construction. But I'll tell you what, you sure see a lot of them being wheeled out there. And there seems to be no lack of aftermarket support for them, either. I personally have always felt that if someone wanted to really beat the snot out of a rig off-roading, the XJ might be the perfect candidate, as they're so cheap to obtain that you could transfer all your heavy duty stuff over to another body when the former rig just got too bad-off. Anyway, I was just wondering what folks thought...
Squatch - I bought my 3rd XJ and first MJ within the last 6 months. Its been a good year! The last 2 shown below cost me less combined than my LJ. Both are low mileage, rust free original Renix models and will be fun to do mild builds on. There's plenty of after market support which includes various ways to stiffen them up.

I bought an XJ new in 1990 and driving the white one below is a bit of a time warp - it was very similar.

1989 XJ & 1988 MJ
upload_2017-12-29_7-41-34.png

upload_2017-12-29_7-38-37.png

Squatch - I bought my 3rd XJ and first MJ within the last 6 months. Its been a good year! The last 2 shown below cost me less combined than my LJ. Both are low mileage, rust free original Renix models and will be fun to do mild builds on. There's plenty of after market support which includes various ways to stiffen them up.

I bought an XJ new in 1990 and driving the white one below is a bit of a time warp - it was very similar.

1989 XJ & 1988 MJ
View attachment 27619

Nice driveway candy. Looks like you've got one of every flavor! :) Your white XJ looks so much like my wife's rig. Hers is a '96, and is white. We ran Canyon wheels for a few years, though we have steel wheels on at the moment. We added the factory roof rack set-up. She helped me liberate it from a wrecking yard XJ (which, by the way, is definitely a benefit the XJ owners have. Wrecking yards always have a supply of XJs, but I've never seen a TJ in a wrecking yard, unless it's a 4X4 specific yard). Hers has the single side window without the smaller window that opens, and hers has "fixed" wing windows (look like wing windows, but aren't). Glass is heavily tinted, too.

Reactions: PCO6
Nice driveway candy. Looks like you've got one of every flavor! :) Your white XJ looks so much like my wife's rig. Hers is a '96, and is white. We ran Canyon wheels for a few years, though we have steel wheels on at the moment. We added the factory roof rack set-up. She helped me liberate it from a wrecking yard XJ (which, by the way, is definitely a benefit the XJ owners have. Wrecking yards always have a supply of XJs, but I've never seen a TJ in a wrecking yard, unless it's a 4X4 specific yard). Hers has the single side window without the smaller window that opens, and hers has "fixed" wing windows (look like wing windows, but aren't). Glass is heavily tinted, too.
Yes ... things are getting a bit nuts. I have 5 in total. One of my sons was out in my TJ so it didn't get into the pic. The black XJ will likely go and possibly the TJ. That would leave me with an LJ, XJ and MJ which is still one too many.

The white XJ is a top of the line Limited. The previous owner removed all of the goofy gold shyte which is exactly what I would have done. The only thing left is the gold rocker cover and most of that has worn off (I'll take care of the rest). He also took off all of the gold badges. I will be putting chrome ones on it. I have MOAB wheels and JCR bumpers plus a number of other parts to put on it and will generally do it "expedition" style to go with my trailer. Normally I wouldn't want all of the power equipment as it's usually just a lot of parts waiting to break down but I have to admit it's kind of nice. The only thing that doesn't work is the power antennae.

You're right about XJ's in junk yards. I've come across a few TJ's and actually found an LJ that is identical to mine but XJ's are still pretty plentiful.

Reactions: Squatch
I've had two. One a 2.5 and the other a 4.0. Both manuals, but that's just me. Both went way over 200,000 miles with little more than wear parts and maintenance. Both got sold because all the little fiddly bits that broke got to be a pain in the ass. They were both ugly when I got rid of them, but still ran just fine and were reliable everyday rigs. Did I mention they were ugly?

I'm sure both were twisted up some, but I never noticed it.

I was looking for a late model 2 door XJ with a manual when I bought my TJ. Very, very rare around here.

I really liked both of mine. They both did just fine in the woods. Did I mention they both got beat and ugly? lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris and Squatch
Had a 95 4 door 4.0, auto, 30/8.25, 33" Swamper TSL bias plys. I ran a RE 4.5" lift, 4.56's, front and rear No Slips, alloy rear axles, opened up fenders with rear TJ flares front and rear. Did the Rubicon, Fordyce, and random other stuff. It wheeled great, wheelbase is about perfect, much more room for gear and kids. No issues with body twist. Sold it to my brother whom sold it. I miss it.

Reactions: Squatch and StG58
I'm the only one with the frame twist issue? Damn... I didn't even think I was wheeling it that hard.

I always lusted after a 97-01 2 door XJ. Get one of those with some 33" tires and a 3-4" lift and they look awesome!

I'm the only one with the frame twist issue? Damn... I didn't even think I was wheeling it that hard.

I always lusted after a 97-01 2 door XJ. Get one of those with some 33" tires and a 3-4" lift and they look awesome!
I twisted my old XJ inadvertently. I removed all of the floors including the cargo area to weld in some new ones. While they were out I jacked up the left rear just enough to put a different wheel and tire on it. While it was up I opened the tailgate. That was easy enough but I couldn't close it. Dumb move but it straightened out just fine when I lowered it. With the new floors in everything returned to normal.

Bumping an old thread.

I’d like to know from you XJ owners how they handle on the highway compared to our TJs. Particularly for longer trips. I’ll never get rid of my TJ but it’s becoming more of a toy, and I enjoy whipping around town more than I do long distance trips over 2 hours. Then I start to feel worn out. So with the XJ having similar brick like aerodynamics, are they a bit more comfortable for longer trips? My goal is to build more of an expedition or “overland” rig if you will (kinda hate the term) I imagine the longer wheelbase will certainty help, and running 31s or possibly 32s max. An auto would be nice too. It’s hard to eat my McDonald’s when I’m rowing through gears 😂 plus I’m always bringing someone with me who can’t drive stick so I gotta do all the driving