Question for the brake guru (and anyone else who has an opinion)

TJ Hunnicutt

Lord of Flatulence
Supporting Member
I replaced the pads on the back of my '06 Rubi and, as I always do, was careful to replace the brake pad sliders/slippers (stainless steel caps that go on the ends of the steering knuckle where the edges of the brake pads ride) so that things continue to run smoothly.
However, I am now working on the front of the Wrangler and find that, what I thought was bad maintenance by POs, is actually due to the fact that there are no sliders/slippers for the front brakes! This is according to the FSM as well. What the hell? Why not?
Without them, the brake pads tend to dig a neet little hole in the knuckle like this
IMG20191004210331.jpg

So, again, I ask why are there no sliders on the front brakes? Anyone know?

That is a common issue on the front calipers and all I did was prep the area and hit it with the mig welder, then cleaned it up with the angle grinder.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
I always thought those little things were spacers to adjust the clearance of the pad. If it fits they are not needed. I'm certainly not an expert but that's how the instructions read to me.

In on this subject. I have been chasing a clunk noise in the front. I think it is when the brake pads move over the edge of the notch as shown in your photograph.

I always thought those little things were spacers to adjust the clearance of the pad. If it fits they are not needed. I'm certainly not an expert but that's how the instructions read to me.
They do sell and include abutment shims for that reason. The abutment clips are not for that and are part of the brake pad and knuckle interface design.

Reactions: Jcraig
I replaced the pads on the back of my '06 Rubi and, as I always do, was careful to replace the brake pad sliders/slippers (stainless steel caps that go on the ends of the steering knuckle where the edges of the brake pads ride) so that things continue to run smoothly.
However, I am now working on the front of the Wrangler and find that, what I thought was bad maintenance by POs, is actually due to the fact that there are no sliders/slippers for the front brakes! This is according to the FSM as well. What the hell? Why not?
Without them, the brake pads tend to dig a neet little hole in the knuckle like this
View attachment 118475

So, again, I ask why are there no sliders on the front brakes? Anyone know?
Carry over from earlier designs. The ZJ rear discs which are practically interchangeable do not have the abutment clips. The pad slot has to be designed to work with them. I actually had a batch made up and sent out sets for testing but the problem is the pad slot and tab has to be modified to work with them since the distance is now shorter between the sliders on the knuckles.

As stated, weld up the divot, carefully grind it back to shape with a hard disc on a grinder and it will never wear again.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
They do sell and include abutment shims for that reason. The abutment clips are not for that and are part of the brake pad and knuckle interface design.
The question was about the front brakes, do they need an extra piece or do the pads normally ride on the carrier directly?

Carry over from earlier designs. The ZJ rear discs which are practically interchangeable do not have the abutment clips. The pad slot has to be designed to work with them. I actually had a batch made up and sent out sets for testing but the problem is the pad slot and tab has to be modified to work with them since the distance is now shorter between the sliders on the knuckles.

As stated, weld up the divot, carefully grind it back to shape with a hard disc on a grinder and it will never wear again.
I so confused some times.

Alright, just because it is you, I will highlight the single word that puts it all in context.

Reactions: pagrey
Alright, just because it is you, I will highlight the single word that puts it all in context.

Mr. Blaine,

Thanks for the advice. One more question. To your knowledge, have there been any instances of the notch on the knuckles (caused by the brake pads) causing the brakes to stick?

Mr. Blaine,

Thanks for the advice. One more question. To your knowledge, have there been any instances of the notch on the knuckles (caused by the brake pads) causing the brakes to stick?
There are many issues. They should not be allowed to be there, fix them.

That is a common issue on the front calipers and all I did was prep the area and hit it with the mig welder, then cleaned it up with the angle grinder.
I did the same thing, had nothing to lose the surfaces were so gouged.
Been going strong with no issues.