Question for the fabricators amongst us

It isn't tooling to make parts. It is just patience. I have a drill press, a small bench belt sander for deburring parts that I cut with a grinder. That's about the extent of it except for a good chop saw.

This is the hypothetical brought to fruition, all done with a cut off disc in a grinder, a drill press, and a few bits.

Shortened 32RH mount so the OEM trans mount can be used.

View attachment 210060
Sitting on the cross member
View attachment 210061

Cross member is formed from 4 pieces of 1/8" flat bar. 3" wide for the top and bottom and then the angled sides were cut from two more pieces. Corner butt welded and then sanded to look a bit better since I suck at long welds. I made it the shape of the belly skid I will be using. View attachment 210062

Angled ends because Aaron thinks I can't do it that way.
View attachment 210064

Trusting what I know, 1/8" thick tabs on the frame. View attachment 210066
Access holes for the socket to remove the nuts on the studs.

View attachment 210067

I need to get a side by side of a stock mount and the shortened one.
How did you get the width eye to eye nailed perfect? That's the beauty of the telescoping crossmember right?

Did you end up finding one that you like? I still haven't pulled the trigger on one yet despite wanting one.
Small as in a 2" x 24" belt just for deburring the edges. It is not robust or good enough for shaping and no, I have not found a belt grinder yet. I gave up after that last mess. I don't want anything with less than a 6 x 60" belt.

Small as in a 2" x 24" belt just for deburring the edges. It is not robust or good enough for shaping and no, I have not found a belt grinder yet. I gave up after that last mess. I don't want anything with less than a 6 x 60" belt.
I keep looking at the burr kings but I wish I could try one to know it'll work for me before dropping that kind of money on one.

take a peek at HGR industrial surplus, they are local here but sell off ebay too.
lotta junk but you can find some nice items as well and cheap.

I keep looking at the burr kings but I wish I could try one to know it'll work for me before dropping that kind of money on one.
I need to look again but all the BK I saw had the belt section for doing the side of a tab at the round part of the drum which will not grind anything but a beveled edge.

take a peek at HGR industrial surplus, they are local here but sell off ebay too.
lotta junk but you can find some nice items as well and cheap.
It isn't so much as finding them, they are all over the place. The problem is finding one with decent horsepower that is set up for single phase. I had a new one here in the driveway, it got picked up and returned because it was listed as single phase, it was 3 phase.

returning new, i understand. but used and much less expensive might leave room to swap that motor.

fab is an art....... and what i lack is the tooling to make pretty parts. i'd love to outfit the garage and have time to make good looking functional parts like Blaine does. i can access anything i need at work, but then it becomes a race to finish b4 they lock the doors every eve. or relying on favors from other guys that don't wanna bother with your messes.

crude and functional is sufficient, but but often results in things you are reluctant to show off. and is often my excuse to rework things. if i had a proper workshop with proper tooling, my rig would be very different than what it is right now.
Look at what MCQBushcraft did to his XJ in a dirt floor shed. A few basic tools and lots of patience is all we need.

Reactions: someguysjeep
Reactions: Moon Eyes
I've seen that. The problem is it is made by Jet. They are a fair bit of money and they get almost there with their products. I have a large Jet drill press and a horizontal band saw. The band saw sits in the shed. The drill press is barely tolerable and if I paid 10 cents more for it, I'd be pissed.
Guess I have had better luck with my jet bandsaw. It is 20 years old now so maybe we got lucky.

Guess I have had better luck with my jet bandsaw. It is 20 years old now so maybe we got lucky.
It is an okay saw. It is not great just like the drill press isn't. They are right at the price point where they are expensive for what they are but more expensive than the home owner crap by a lot. They are much less than stuff a machine shop would use. No self respecting machinist would have a Jet drill press.

They are the JeepSpeed XJ of the machine tool world. Yeah, they work, they aren't terribly good, but they will get you by until you get a real race car.

Reactions: Blackjack
It is an okay saw. It is not great just like the drill press isn't. They are right at the price point where they are expensive for what they are but more expensive than the home owner crap by a lot. They are much less than stuff a machine shop would use. No self respecting machinist would have a Jet drill press.

They are the JeepSpeed XJ of the machine tool world. Yeah, they work, they aren't terribly good, but they will get you by until you get a real race car.
I know of a billion dollar company that runs jet equipment. I was surprised because it was with much more expensive models.

Jets are the stepping stone between HF or Northern tool and full on industrial equipment.

One of those you don’t know what you are missing until you try the next step up. Next step up is usually 3 phase though.

I’d be better off if I had a jet to use but I don’t, I’m not even up to that level.

I have just realized I need a sander though.

I know of a billion dollar company that runs jet equipment. I was surprised because it was with much more expensive models.

Jets are the stepping stone between HF or Northern tool and full on industrial equipment.

One of those you don’t know what you are missing until you try the next step up. Next step up is usually 3 phase though.

I’d be better off if I had a jet to use but I don’t, I’m not even up to that level.

I have just realized I need a sander though.
My 900 dollar Jet drill press replaced a Craftsman made in China display model that I picked up for 179 dollars and drilled a bazillion holes with. It is barely better, better for sure but not enough to justify the difference in price. The machine shop version is 3 x the money though.

My 900 dollar Jet drill press replaced a Craftsman made in China display model that I picked up for 179 dollars and drilled a bazillion holes with. It is barely better, better for sure but not enough to justify the difference in price. The machine shop version is 3 x the money though.
You should see what it costs to bring them up to acceptable safety standards. ;)