Question for those of you with an Exogate / MORryde spare tire carrier

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Quick question for those of you guys with an Exogate / MORryde (I'm thinking of you @skrelnik).

What are you using for the spare tire carrier mount? Were you able to re-use the stock spare tire carrier mount or did you have to use something else?

I'm running a 35" tire. My thought was to find a used factory spare tire carrier mount, and since I have JK wheels, I could use a spare wheel adapter I have which would space the tire 1.25" out more from the stock tire carrier.

What were you using before?

I was using this thing:
https://www.4wd.com/p/hyline-offroad-oversized-tire-mount-300-200-100/_/R-HYLINE-300.200.100

Here's the deal though... See how it's angled upwards to much? Turns out it won't bolt on to the Exogate / MORryde because the Exogate has a large lip (very large) that surrounds the entire edge of it. The only way it would work is if I cut a large notch in that lip to clear the upward angle of the tire carrier mount.

So, this has me thinking maybe a stock tire carrier mount would work if I used me 1.25" wheel adapter on it which would then space the tire out an extra 1.25" from the body.

I could use the Rugged Ridge tire carrier, but my issue with that tire carrier (and I had it before) is that even with a 35" tire, it has the tire almost 3" from the body! I don't like that, I want the tire as close to the body as possible.

I realize a lot of that is visual, but I don't want my snubbers extended so super long lengths.

I do see that. Maybe someone has a factory mount they aren't using they could send your way.

That's my hope. They're also all over eBay for relatively cheap. I just wanted to see what everyone else is using with their Exogate, what size tire they have, and how far it sticks out from the body.

I've heard it's best to keep the spare tire as close to the body as you can, which makes sense.

I'm running the MORyde with 35's. I reused the stock tire mount. Wheels have 3.5" backspacing.

IMG_20180812_090957.jpg

IMG_20180812_090857.jpg

IMG_20180812_090824.jpg

IMG_20180812_090810.jpg

Quick question for those of you guys with an Exogate / MORryde (I'm thinking of you @skrelnik).

What are you using for the spare tire carrier mount? Were you able to re-use the stock spare tire carrier mount or did you have to use something else?

I'm running a 35" tire. My thought was to find a used factory spare tire carrier mount, and since I have JK wheels, I could use a spare wheel adapter I have which would space the tire 1.25" out more from the stock tire carrier.

Sorry Chris, I won't be of help on this one as I have smaller tires and my stock carrier is fine for my application. Do you need a stock carrier as opposed to the aftermarket one you have? Locally, I have seen the stock for carriers for cheap, and I think you even mentioned that.

I needed to increase the length of the lower "tire stop", for lack of a better word... I used hockey pucks to extent the stop, but my favorite part was using a nutsert to get a longer/bigger bolt to hold the additional hockey pucks.

Last edited:
I'm running the MORyde with 35's. I reused the stock tire mount. Wheels have 3.5" backspacing.

Perfect! I’ll run the stock carrier then. My wheels have 5.25” back spacing, but I have 1.25” wheel adapters since they are JK wheels. That will put me at 4” backspacing, so it will be perfect!

Sorry Chris, I won't be of help on this one as I have smaller tires and my stock carrier is fine for my application. Do you need a stock carrier as opposed to the aftermarket one you have? Locally, I have seen the stock for carriers for cheap, and I think you even mentioned that.

I needed to increase the length of the lower "tire stop", for lack of a better word... I used hockey pucks to extent the stop, but my favorite part was using a nutsert to get a longer/bigger bolt to hold the additional hockey pucks.

I was able to score a stock tire carrier off eBay in excellent condition with free shipping for $50, so I don't feel too bad about that! Based of @ImpactOrange's setup, it should work fine with my 35s.

Reactions: skrelnik
I did exactly what you are talking about Chris except I used one of those brackets that spaces the tire up and out a bit. (minus the exogate) it worked but the factory tire carrier started cracking at the bend where the flange goes up above the body of the carrier.

I did used bumper spacers to keep the tire from moving. That was with a 4.5" backspaced rim and 35s. If you do it if weld some 1/4" angle along that section before installing as a preventative measure.

I also redrilled my carrier to 5x5, I used a jk wheel spacer as a template.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

I did exactly what you are talking about Chris except I used one of those brackets that spaces the tire up and out a bit. (minus the exogate) it worked but the factory tire carrier started cracking at the bend where the flange goes up above the body of the carrier.

I did used bumper spacers to keep the tire from moving. That was with a 4.5" backspaced rim and 35s. If you do it if weld some 1/4" angle along that section before installing as a preventative measure.

I also redrilled my carrier to 5x5, I used a jk wheel spacer as a template.

Good advice! I’ll reinforce that area with a good weld. I thought about using those spacers that came with it as well that move the tire carrier up and out a bit. But then I got to thinking that I would rather have the tire as close to the tub as possible.

Not sure if that makes any difference. I could have the carrier redrilled for 5x5.5” for JK wheels, but with 5.25” backspacing, they wouldn’t clear. That’s why that 1.25” wheel adapter will work perfect on the spare, as it will bring the backspacing to 4”, which should be about as close as I can get it to the tub while still having the rubber bumpers... at least I think.

Good plan, I had to go up and out to clear the bumper, otherwise I'd have just taken a belt sander to the bumpers if I needed em a bit thinner. ;)

And JK is 5x5 FYI, CJ, old dodge, and old Ford are 5x5.5 (old gm to I think but I'm not sure) unless of course you have a spintech kit or similar.

Good plan, I had to go up and out to clear the bumper, otherwise I'd have just taken a belt sander to the bumpers if I needed em a bit thinner. ;)

And JK is 5x5 FYI, CJ, old dodge, and old Ford are 5x5.5 (old gm to I think but I'm not sure) unless of course you have a spintech kit or similar.

The AEV rear bumper I have has such a large cutout in the center for a spare, that I don't think I'll have any issues clearing it at all.

Ahhh, forgot the JKs are 5x5. What's odd is that some of these aftermarket tire carriers I see for TJs (the ones that mount directly to the stock tailgate) have 5x4.5 and 5x5.5 bolt patterns. No friggin' clue why they have the 5x5.5 bolt pattern instead of 5x5.

It used to be a common bolt pattern to change to, waggy 44s, Ford 9" and 44s, that sort of thing.