Question on my aftermarket stereo

Kathy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
IMG_0393.JPG
for any audio people, I am wanting a better sounding radio in my TJ. I'm plannng on getting some Polk speakers for front and soundbar( based off of thread research ). I'm wondering if I will have improvement if I don't replace the stereo right away and keep the aftermarket pioneer until I am ready to spend 200 more on the stereo I want? Thanks

Oh yeah, you'll still have improvement for sure. The speakers alone will make a noticeable difference over the stock ones.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Speakers will definitely help. But don't expect too much from a vehicle with probably the worst acoustics of all time. A sub will make a big difference, too. Expectations should be; loud enough to hear when rolling topless. Everything else is a bonus :D

Reactions: Kevin E and Chris
Your Pioneer has excellent sound. The output (45wX4) is also quite a bit more than most aftermarket head units (~20w is common). A new head unit will not significantly change the sound quality. New Polks in dash and sound bar will. An aftermarket powered sub (all in one unit) will give you great sound balance across the full spectrum of audible dB. It's so good I consider it a significant mod. Try something like the Rockford Fosgate PS-8 from Amazon for $189 or the Sound Ordnance from Crutchfield for $150. I'd go with the Rockford. Proven speakers from the late 70's

An amp will always help improve how loud and clear the speakers you run will be as well. Especially with the top down. But you always can add an amp later since its almost top season depending on where you are.

Reactions: Kathy
Thank you all for the great advice. My jeep didn't come with an amp I believe? 2000. But I'm now set on just getting the speakers for now . @JMT , the sub all in one unit does not replace new speakers, correct? That will just improve the sound of the polks I'm planning on getting?

Reactions: Zach Jones
Thank you all for the great advice. My jeep didn't come with an amp I believe? 2000. But I'm now set on just getting the speakers for now . @JMT , the sub all in one unit does not replace new speakers, correct? That will just improve the sound of the polks I'm planning on getting?
Correct, the sub all in one unit does not replace factory speakers. It is an additional speaker that must be placed by you in a desired location. It won't make the Polks sound better, but they reproduce sounds in the high and mid range. A sub will reproduce sounds in the low range. Most factory stereo systems don't reproduce the low range sound that the musicians have in their songs, so a sub is necessary to really hear that element. I chose to mount mine on the bottom of the rear seat. This way it's hidden from thieves, easily accessible to me and doesn't take up any storage space, like putting it in the center console (which some do). This unit is ~14.5x9.7"

IMG_6999.JPG

The head unit you have will power your new polk speakers perfectly, so no need to change that. Like mentioned, a separate powered sub will dramatically improve sound quality in your jeep.

Ps @Kathy, just put my hardtop back on today, it does such a good job of containing the bass, it really changes the sound after having the top and doors off all summer. I'm going to miss that, but the sound is amazing in a TJ with top and doors on. People complain or say the TJ is not acoustically built. Let me tell you this, acoustics work well in a box. The TJ with top and doors (or even top only) is a box. It sounds excellent.

Hello @Kathy ,
I will suggest you to get all 4 speakers the same size, to install 5/12 speakrs on front you will require this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009DHE462/?tag=wranglerorg-20
not sure why(maybe I do) the front after marked 4x6 does not plays well when an after market head unit or amp is installed, at least I do have the issue and end up getting this mod done to allocate the 51/4 without any extra effort.
When shopping for speakers( no matter the brand), looks for something around 92 db of sensitivity, this way you will not need to get your radio volume at high point to get nice sound.
Good luck on your search!

Reactions: JMT
Correct, the sub all in one unit does not replace factory speakers. It is an additional speaker that must be placed by you in a desired location. It won't make the Polks sound better, but they reproduce sounds in the high and mid range. A sub will reproduce sounds in the low range. Most factory stereo systems don't reproduce the low range sound that the musicians have in their songs, so a sub is necessary to really hear that element. I chose to mount mine on the bottom of the rear seat. This way it's hidden from thieves, easily accessible to me and doesn't take up any storage space, like putting it in the center console (which some do). This unit is ~14.5x9.7"
@JMT ,
Your mounting idea has been copied...

Reactions: Tj04 and JMT
X2 on buying Amazon adapters @Jorge Bolivar suggests. Go with all 5 1/4 it's worth it. I think the alpines are a good set to go with personally. They are in my dads rubicon and sound great vs his sport before. (It is a jk sorry idk how differnt alpine is in a TJ, but that's what I'll be getting for mine.) i plan to leave stock head unit so that's gonna be a step backwards sound quality wise.

Last edited:
I did 4x on 5 1/4" as well. Bought some Kicker 43CSC54 from Crutchfield. They were the same price at Amazon, but Crutchfield gives you free wiring adapters and mounting plates for the dash. Even with the stock radio, the sound quality increase dramatically. Get new speakers, your ears will thank you.

Reactions: Kathy and Tj04
Are polk speakers water proof or water resistant? was told they are marine certified. I'm on my second set and just ruined those too from driving in the rain with no top.
Yes, they are. Supposed to be at least

Last edited:
I don't like to input on things like this because everyone is different but...

These are some serious factors to consider:
  • The TJ is not meant to have excellent sound, what you want is something that can play loud but not distort (For occasional highway driving if applicable).
  • All stereo stuff can easily be done by yourself. In higher end sound profiles like a proper car it may make sense to leave it to a professional but a TJ, definitely DIY.
  • For nearly all applications except for highway driving your head unit and aftermarket speakers will be enough.
  • You really should run an external amp for your speakers.
This is what I have run in the past:
  • Stock TJ Stereo &/Pioneer 8700BS
  • 2x Polk MM 5.25 Coax Speakers (Soundbar)
  • 2x Polk MM 5.25 Component Speakers (Front)
  • Polk Marine Amplifier mounted above driver's feet (This has been removed as I got is soaked and its trashed now).
  • JL Audio Subwoofer (This has been removed as things get stolen out of my TJ all the time).
My next planned setup:
  • 1FactoryStereo w/ Aux (Already installed)
  • Keeping front & rear speakers
  • Replacement 4 channel amp for speakers (Locked & stored in Console)
  • Sound Ordnance compact sub (Locked & stored in Console)
All setup's will differ as its a thing where you select what works best for you and what doesn't. No stereo I have ever run has been sufficient to provide a clean signal to my aftermarket speakers at full volume. I like the ability to set LPF & HPF through the amp to prevent distortion. I have found after running my own setup and looking at others that putting everything in the console is the best solution for myself as I never use the console and provides a safe/dry place to secure electronics that can be locked. I remove my back seat and put it in too much to worry about a subwoofer box and there is really no other convenient place to put an amplifier other than the console.

Reactions: Kathy and Mike_H
Are polk speakers water proof or water resistant? was told they are marine certified. I'm on my second set and just ruined those too from driving in the rain with no top.
Yes, they are. Supposed to be at least
If you guys are talking about the Polk MM speakers, I drove 5 hours from Panama City to Auburn a while ago with no roof in heavy rain. They held up fine, can't say the same for all my factory TJ electronics though :).

I don't like to input on things like this because everyone is different but...

These are some serious factors to consider:
  • The TJ is not meant to have excellent sound, what you want is something that can play loud but not distort (For occasional highway driving if applicable).
  • All stereo stuff can easily be done by yourself. In higher end sound profiles like a proper car it may make sense to leave it to a professional but a TJ, definitely DIY.
  • For nearly all applications except for highway driving your head unit and aftermarket speakers will be enough.
  • You really should run an external amp for your speakers.
This is what I have run in the past:
  • Stock TJ Stereo &/Pioneer 8700BS
  • 2x Polk MM 5.25 Coax Speakers (Soundbar)
  • 2x Polk MM 5.25 Component Speakers (Front)
  • Polk Marine Amplifier mounted above driver's feet (This has been removed as I got is soaked and its trashed now).
  • JL Audio Subwoofer (This has been removed as things get stolen out of my TJ all the time).
My next planned setup:
  • 1FactoryStereo w/ Aux (Already installed)
  • Keeping front & rear speakers
  • Replacement 4 channel amp for speakers (Locked & stored in Console)
  • Sound Ordnance compact sub (Locked & stored in Console)
All setup's will differ as its a thing where you select what works best for you and what doesn't. No stereo I have ever run has been sufficient to provide a clean signal to my aftermarket speakers at full volume. I like the ability to set LPF & HPF through the amp to prevent distortion. I have found after running my own setup and looking at others that putting everything in the console is the best solution for myself as I never use the console and provides a safe/dry place to secure electronics that can be locked. I remove my back seat and put it in too much to worry about a subwoofer box and there is really no other convenient place to put an amplifier other than the console.
Your next setup sounds like it will avoid some of the pitfalls of typical DIY. A key is being able to control the bass to your sub separate from the head units EQ. This will allow you to avoid distortion. The Sound Ordnance is ok and Crutchfield's customer service is second to none, but if you dig into the reviews of that sub vs the Rockford Fosgate PS-8, for the extra $40 you'll want the Rockford Fosgate. It really is more comparable to the Kicker that runs $300.

Your next setup sounds like it will avoid some of the pitfalls of typical DIY. A key is being able to control the bass to your sub separate from the head units EQ. This will allow you to avoid distortion. The Sound Ordnance is ok and Crutchfield's customer service is second to none, but if you dig into the reviews of that sub vs the Rockford Fosgate PS-8, for the extra $40 you'll want the Rockford Fosgate. It really is more comparable to the Kicker that runs $300.
I will give it a shot then :)

Reactions: Kathy and JMT