Question on my aftermarket stereo

Correct, the sub all in one unit does not replace factory speakers. It is an additional speaker that must be placed by you in a desired location. It won't make the Polks sound better, but they reproduce sounds in the high and mid range. A sub will reproduce sounds in the low range. Most factory stereo systems don't reproduce the low range sound that the musicians have in their songs, so a sub is necessary to really hear that element. I chose to mount mine on the bottom of the rear seat. This way it's hidden from thieves, easily accessible to me and doesn't take up any storage space, like putting it in the center console (which some do). This unit is ~14.5x9.7"
Oh I like that idea!

Reactions: Kevin E and JMT
I don't like to input on things like this because everyone is different but...

These are some serious factors to consider:
  • The TJ is not meant to have excellent sound, what you want is something that can play loud but not distort (For occasional highway driving if applicable).
  • All stereo stuff can easily be done by yourself. In higher end sound profiles like a proper car it may make sense to leave it to a professional but a TJ, definitely DIY.
  • For nearly all applications except for highway driving your head unit and aftermarket speakers will be enough.
  • You really should run an external amp for your speakers.
This is what I have run in the past:
  • Stock TJ Stereo &/Pioneer 8700BS
  • 2x Polk MM 5.25 Coax Speakers (Soundbar)
  • 2x Polk MM 5.25 Component Speakers (Front)
  • Polk Marine Amplifier mounted above driver's feet (This has been removed as I got is soaked and its trashed now).
  • JL Audio Subwoofer (This has been removed as things get stolen out of my TJ all the time).
My next planned setup:
  • 1FactoryStereo w/ Aux (Already installed)
  • Keeping front & rear speakers
  • Replacement 4 channel amp for speakers (Locked & stored in Console)
  • Sound Ordnance compact sub (Locked & stored in Console)
All setup's will differ as its a thing where you select what works best for you and what doesn't. No stereo I have ever run has been sufficient to provide a clean signal to my aftermarket speakers at full volume. I like the ability to set LPF & HPF through the amp to prevent distortion. I have found after running my own setup and looking at others that putting everything in the console is the best solution for myself as I never use the console and provides a safe/dry place to secure electronics that can be locked. I remove my back seat and put it in too much to worry about a subwoofer box and there is really no other convenient place to put an amplifier other than the console.

Under the steering column is a great place to hide a small amp. 2 "L" brackets bolted to a thin piece of plywood makes a great attachment base for the amp, and will bolt right up to the steering column brace.

Reactions: Kathy and derekmac
Under the steering column is a great place to hide a small amp. 2 "L" brackets bolted to a thin piece of plywood makes a great attachment base for the amp, and will bolt right up to the steering column brace.
Yes! Just make sure your amp is in proper orientation or it will overheat a lot :).

@JMT, gonna look into that sub. My rear seat is the fold and tumble so that space won't work. Need to find another place to stash it.

The amp I run is pretty small. With the media only player I have, the depth is so shallow I mounted the amp behind it and on the security bracket that attaches to the factory deck.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Hello @Kathy ,
I will suggest you to get all 4 speakers the same size, to install 5/12 speakrs on front you will require this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009DHE462/?tag=wranglerorg-20
not sure why(maybe I do) the front after marked 4x6 does not plays well when an after market head unit or amp is installed, at least I do have the issue and end up getting this mod done to allocate the 51/4 without any extra effort.
When shopping for speakers( no matter the brand), looks for something around 92 db of sensitivity, this way you will not need to get your radio volume at high point to get nice sound.
Good luck on your search!
Thank you! Yes I ordered these parts to make the 5.25 speakers work in the front. Spent hours reading posts:). Thanks for your help :)

Reactions: Jorge Bolivar
Are polk speakers water proof or water resistant? was told they are marine certified. I'm on my second set and just ruined those too from driving in the rain with no top.
Yes, I got the marine speakers from Polk. They are on their way!

Reactions: Rob5589
@JMT, gonna look into that sub. My rear seat is the fold and tumble so that space won't work. Need to find another place to stash it.

The amp I run is pretty small. With the media only player I have, the depth is so shallow I mounted the amp behind it and on the security bracket that attaches to the factory deck.
Take a pic. I thought I had the same kind of seat. Not sure what the difference is. On the bottom of my rear seat there's a piece of carpet that zips shut. I just unzipped that to access the support for the seat where I built a wooden mount about 15"x10". It fits behind the metal supports so it doesn't move. I dado'd so it would be flush and just screwed the powered sub on at the four corners. There are some slight dimension differences between the Sound Ordnance, Rockford Fosgate and Kicker. I think they are all within about 0.5-1" differences. I'm pretty sure the Sound Ordnance is the smallest. And this does make a difference in install. If you have seat risers or the earlier model TJ's you may be able to get it under the passenger or driver seat. Anyway, I'd like to see your rear seat anyway!

image.jpg
image.jpg
@Jorge Bolivar I’m trying to get my polk speaker with 5.25 adapter plate to fit in the space and it doesn’t seem to want to go in . Seems like the stock metal bracket in the space is preventing it from letting the bottom two screws to line up. Did you have to cut that ? HELP!