Question on painting chrome rims

Kathy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Hi everyone,
My boyfriend gave me these chrome 15 inch / 8 inch wide aftermarket rims to use on my jeep. I want to have them either free from rust or matte black. Preferably matte black. Any suggestions on how to do this so it looks good? Is it better to paint them before putting the tires on or after? Thanks :)

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

I had a set awhile ago that i plasti dipped. I can't remember how many cans i used but it lasted to my surprise even after some light wheeling just small touch ups. Pretty cool stuff. You just have to lay it on thick so it will make it easy to peal off. Then when i got new rims and tire i gave them to my wife and just peeled it off. She likes chrome shiny things....or just go buy some steelies for 35 bucks each.

20170521_105544.jpg
Prep is key in the outcome. Get rid of any loose rust, scuff them really good and start your painting. I used self etchimg primer first then color. I took the wheels off and layed them flat then masked the tire and your ready to go. Painted mine black while ago and holding up good.

Reactions: Kathy
I had a set awhile ago that i plasti dipped. I can't remember how many cans i used but it lasted to my surprise even after some light wheeling just small touch ups. Pretty cool stuff. You just have to lay it on thick so it will make it easy to peal off. Then when i got new rims and tire i gave them to my wife and just peeled it off. She likes chrome shiny things....or just go buy some steelies for 35 bucks each.
Around how many cans did u use? Thanks!!

Prep is key in the outcome. Get rid of any loose rust, scuff them really good and start your painting. I used self etchimg primer first then color. I took the wheels off and layed them flat then masked the tire and your ready to go. Painted mine black while ago and holding up good.
Wow those turned out great! Thank you!

IMO- Save your time and money hoping on satisfactory results. Sell them on CL and use the money to buy a used black set from CL.
[emoji6]

Lee - 2005 TJ 4.0 Auto - Las Vegas

Around how many cans did u use? Thanks!!
Ithink i used 1 to 2 cans per rim and index cards. They said you should use more but that worked fine for me. Never had any real issues with it coming off or chipping like paint. I use it for a lot of other stuff. Set the can and let it sit in some warm water before you use it. Makes it come out smooth and even. Dries pretty quick so it didn't take that long. This is what it looked like on my jeep then when i was peeling it off it was like a rubber balloon. Then back to the original and on the wife's jeep now.FB_IMG_1496910871095.jpg FB_IMG_1496910804532.jpg FB_IMG_1496910769689.jpg