Question on transmisson fluid dripping on transfer case skid plate

Kathy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Hi, transmission fluid was noticed coming from under the transfer case skid plate. We were going to take it off anyway to lower it, but wondering if there is anything we need to know when removing / unbolting it so we can locate the leak? Thank you!!

Hi, transmission fluid was noticed coming from under the transfer case skid plate. We were going to take it off anyway to lower it, but wondering if there is anything we need to know when removing / unbolting it so we can locate the leak? Thank you!!

Are you sure it's transmission fluid and not oil from the rear main seal that has blown back from the bell housing?

To directly answer your question, put a jack stand or jack of some kind under the bell housing of the transmission before you loosen the skid plate to prevent the driveline from dropping. I used a rolling floor jack under skid plate, that helped to keep it snugged up in place as I removed all six bolts then slowly lowered it and rolled it right out from under the Jeep. Remember the transmission mount is also bolted to the skid plate by four bolts.

Reactions: Kathy
Are you sure it's transmission fluid and not oil from the rear main seal that has blown back from the bell housing?

To directly answer your question, put a jack stand or jack of some kind under the bell housing of the transmission before you loosen the skid plate to prevent the driveline from dropping. I used a rolling floor jack under skid plate, that helped to keep it snugged up in place as I removed all six bolts then slowly lowered it and rolled it right out from under the Jeep. Remember the transmission mount is also bolted to the skid plate by four bolts.
It is a pinkish color so thought that was transmisson? Could it be something else?

If it's pink, then yeah, it's definitely transmission fluid.

I agree with what @Serbonze said, that advice is spot on. Once you lower the skid plate, see if you can wipe the area clean and inspect where the leak is coming from.

Reactions: Kathy
The transfer case runs on ATF, the same as an automatic transmission. When fresh, ATF is bright red color. Could it be ATF leaking from the transfer case that you're seeing Kathy? Could it be coming from where the speedometer gear housing is seated into the transfer case? There's an o-ring there that can leak.

Reactions: Serbonze
The transfer case runs on ATF, the same as an automatic transmission. When fresh, ATF is bright red color. Could it be ATF leaking from the transfer case that you're seeing Kathy? Could it be coming from where the speedometer gear housing is seated into the transfer case? There's an o-ring there that can leak.
Thank you Jerry, It's never been cleaned up so it's too dirty to tell until we get it cleared off. But thanks for the direction:)