Question on wiring in a backup camera

Neorotoxin

I recently decided to get a dash cam and rear cam, because a friend of mine got rear ended twice in two weeks, and it made me somewhat paranoid.

The Dash cam is no problem, it simply attaches over the rear view mirror with some clips and plugs into the lighter socket.

The Rear cam is the issue. It needs a power source at the rear, which means i'll probably wire it into the brake lights i think, which should provide it the power it needs. The issue i'm having is, i don't know where i might route the wire that leads to the dash cam from outside the jeep into the inside, and was wondering if anyone had any tips on where i might route it.

I was considering mounting it directly on the license plate mount, which while not centered, would provide it easy access to power and would still give a reasonable view. Though i am willing to accept any tips or suggestions, as this is the first time i've had to do any wiring where i'll have to cut and splice things on my jeep since i bought it.

I recently decided to get a dash cam and rear cam, because a friend of mine got rear ended twice in two weeks, and it made me somewhat paranoid.

The Dash cam is no problem, it simply attaches over the rear view mirror with some clips and plugs into the lighter socket.

The Rear cam is the issue. It needs a power source at the rear, which means i'll probably wire it into the brake lights i think, which should provide it the power it needs. The issue i'm having is, i don't know where i might route the wire that leads to the dash cam from outside the jeep into the inside, and was wondering if anyone had any tips on where i might route it.

I was considering mounting it directly on the license plate mount, which while not centered, would provide it easy access to power and would still give a reasonable view. Though i am willing to accept any tips or suggestions, as this is the first time i've had to do any wiring where i'll have to cut and splice things on my jeep since i bought it.
I understand why you would want this but with a TJ the windows are so big and open you can see pretty well. Are you a driver that it’s hard for you to turn and look backwards with your head so you use your mirrors instead?

I've since revised my plans. The cam was always just part of the dash cam setup, and intended to protect me against accidents if other drivers hit me. I am now going to just mount it inside the rear window and attach it with some of the type of glue they use on the rear view mirror.

I have no visibility issues when backing up or anything like that, this is purely for things like being rear-ended. Also why wiring it to the backup light would actually have been a poor choice, as it would only have been active while in reverse. I'm going to wire it into a different power source that is constant while my Jeep is running instead of the backup light. I'm not 100% sure which power source i'll be using yet, but it will all be interior now.

Well fuck me sideways. Turns out the wire i somehow thought that i HAD to connect was only for sensing when the jeep is in reverse. I don't HAVE to install it at all. So pissed off at myself. Thanks for the tips guys, guess its a lot simpler to install than i thought.

Reactions: Chris