Colorado Questions about Creede Colorado

ScottB

TJ Enthusiast
I will be traveling to Colorado for a 3 week, yes I have a lot of vacation built up, wheeling trip. About 5 days will be spent on Moab and then some time in Colorado. I have stayed in Ouray and wheeled most of the known and big name trails and will do some again this time. However, on my way back to Pensacola, I want to wheel in some not so touristy locations. I will be visiting Great Sand Dunes National Park and Medano Pass, but I was looking at the Creede Colorado area.

My flys out of Montrose on 5 July and my plan is to arrive in Pensacola on 10 July and return to work on 13 July. Looking to occupy some time between the 5th and the 8th, the day I plan to head home.

I know we have some Colorado folks on here and any guidance or suggestions would be helpful.

As far as vehicle is concerned, I will NOT be taking my TJ this time. We will be taking her, I let her say that, it's easier that way, new 2019 Unlimited Rubicon. It is being built, well, enhanced is a better word, for actual off roading. Yes, I am the guy who actually wheels a $55,000 vehicle.

She will be with me for only 7 days, so the remaining 14 I will be solo.

Look into the Wheeler Geologic Area. It's a decommissioned National Monument that is only accessible with 4x4 or a hike. Getting there isn't technically difficult, but not very many go there.

• Wow
Reactions: NDSpeed
Interesting, I had never heard of that place. Looks like a unique place and reminds me of Hells Half Acre up in Wyoming.

Reactions: NDSpeed
Wheeler is cool. The road is ROUGH. Not technically difficult at all. It's the kind you want to air down not for grip, but to not lose any teeth. I did it around 2012 in my LJ with Zone shocks and highway pressure.

Reactions: jjvw
I am planning for Wheeler on 9/2 but I just learned it's currently closed for protection due to the wet weather they've had, people getting stuck and tearing up the road. Does anybody have any alternatives roughly in that area? Anything roughly between Del Norte and the Rio Grande Reservoir would do. I'll have Tacomas on stock suspension and 31s so nothing too hardcore, but more than a grades dirt road preferably.

I am planning for Wheeler on 9/2 but I just learned it's currently closed for protection due to the wet weather they've had, people getting stuck and tearing up the road. Does anybody have any alternatives roughly in that area? Anything roughly between Del Norte and the Rio Grande Reservoir would do. I'll have Tacomas on stock suspension and 31s so nothing too hardcore, but more than a grades dirt road preferably.

I did Stony Pass last year and it was a blast. We did it in my dad's stock F350 Tremor. I don't really recall any issues. A couple of narrow spots, which wouldn't be a problem for Tacomas.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I did Stony Pass last year and it was a blast. We did it in my dad's stock F350 Tremor. I don't really recall any issues. A couple of narrow spots, which wouldn't be a problem for Tacomas.

I've done it a couple of times over the years in rental Jeeps, it's worth a look.

Stony Pass is actually already part of the plan. We took it west to east in 2020 and there's a slow downhill section with some rocks that I thought would be fun going up.

9/2 - Wheeler Geological Area or Rat Creek/San Luis Pass/Bachelor loop, dinner in Creede, drive past Rio Grande Reservoir toward Stony Pass and camp at one of the primitive/dispersed spots.
9/3 - go over Stony Pass, down to Silverton, over Ophir or Black Bear (TBD depending on the group we have), and then up to Alta Lakes and camp at one of the primitive/dispersed spots
9/4 - Imogene, Mineral Creek, Poughkeepsie Gulch, California Pass, over Cinnamon pass and camp in American Basin
9/5 - possibly hike up to the top of 14er Handies Peak, exit to Lake City and start the drive home.

It's an eclectic group...myself, a former coworker from Pueblo in a longarm TJ on 35s, my cousin from Lafayette, CO in a TRD tacoma, a couple of buddies from Colorado Springs in a JKUR and another TRD Taco, and possibly a coworker from down here in an '86 yota pickup on 31s. The comfort level from the ones running long ass IFS rigs, specifically a couple of them with basically zero wheeling experience is why Black Bear is TBD. We'll either all do Ophir or we'll split into two groups and meet at the turnoff toward camp.

Last edited:
Reactions: RubiconRic