Questions about front brake hard lines

TheShakes90

I was planning on putting the YJ hoses on today to get ready for my lift, but the tube nut decided it likes it's current home. I'm currently putting penetrating oil on it to try again next week however I want to be ready for worst case scenario.

Does anyone by chance know the length of the hard lines for the front calipers and/or the thread pitch for the hose and master cylinder? Also is the bracket held on by a stud welded to the frame or a rivnut?

PXL_20210109_184324758.jpg

If the nut is stuck you can unscrew the hose instead of Turing the nut and once the hose is off you should be able to free the nut. The hose is held on by a bolt normally.

When trying to loosen the nut on the hard line it is advisable to use a flare nut or line wrench. Do not use an open end wrench or crescent wrench; you will almost definitely round off the nut.
Apply a little acetone ATF mixture to the nut to penetrate the rust.

As mentioned, use the correct size flare nut wrench. Spray threads with penetrating oil, and work the nut in both directions to help the oil penetrate. Don't crank it loose or else you'll twist the hardline. Just be patient and work little by little.

I was doing the same thing and stripped the nut. Use a good flare wrench. I ended up replacing all my hard lines. The metal tab is attached to the frame with a torx bolt. You’ve got some rust and corrosion there so be patient.

If you mess up the bolt holding the hose to the frame its an M8x1.25 and it only needs to be 20mm long. The whole brake hard line kit is like $100 so I would consider that.

Flare nut wrenches come in handy for a lot more than just brake lines. They are my go-to whenever a nut feels like it wants to round over. A decent set of flare wrenches should be in everybody's toolbox.🤓

• USA Proud
Reactions: CharlesHS