Questions about full exhaust replacement for a 2004 LJ

Rick2004LJ

TJ Enthusiast
I am sure this has been answered but couldn't find specifics on '04 LJ and looks like some differences between model years (2000-2006 has "mini cats")?
Jeep is 2004 LJ 4.0 Automatic and we are in Texas - last rock crawling trip we got a hissing sound that sounded like a tire leak but wasn't, everyone's best guess was an exhaust leak.
1) How do you find the leak? I have crawled around under it but cant pinpoint the source...
2) Entire exhaust system looks original - assume this is a good time to replace entire system from headers back? Is that correct or should I just replace offending part?
3) I cant find a complete OEM or aftermarket exhaust kit for 2000 - 2006 - does anyone do a complete kit? I have found aftermarket Cat systems like this Flowmaster 2049170 which looks like it has mini cats and a main cat? Any help on specific Part Numbers for OEM or aftermarket appreciated. I do need it to pass inspection i.e. no engine codes.
4) Is this a DIY install? Looks all bolt-in and I have turned wrenches for years, but never tried an exhaust. If I can pull it off what are the PITA pieces and any other install "Hacks"?

All info greatly appreciated!

Following closely.🧐 Need a full replacement for my '06 Rub. Hoping for a good s.s. system to combat this NY salty roads and rust.

I am sure this has been answered but couldn't find specifics on '04 LJ and looks like some differences between model years (2000-2006 has "mini cats")?
Jeep is 2004 LJ 4.0 Automatic and we are in Texas - last rock crawling trip we got a hissing sound that sounded like a tire leak but wasn't, everyone's best guess was an exhaust leak.
1) How do you find the leak? I have crawled around under it but cant pinpoint the source...
2) Entire exhaust system looks original - assume this is a good time to replace entire system from headers back? Is that correct or should I just replace offending part?
3) I cant find a complete OEM or aftermarket exhaust kit for 2000 - 2006 - does anyone do a complete kit? I have found aftermarket Cat systems like this Flowmaster 2049170 which looks like it has mini cats and a main cat? Any help on specific Part Numbers for OEM or aftermarket appreciated. I do need it to pass inspection i.e. no engine codes.
4) Is this a DIY install? Looks all bolt-in and I have turned wrenches for years, but never tried an exhaust. If I can pull it off what are the PITA pieces and any other install "Hacks"?

All info greatly appreciated!
Turn your shopvac to "blow" stick it in the tailpipe, get your soapy spray bottle and go bubble huntin.

Turn your shopvac to "blow" stick it in the tailpipe, get your soapy spray bottle and go bubble huntin.

That is genius, I would have been under there with the engine running.....But it did give an excuse to get one of those cool little automotive stethoscope. Found the leak on a weld seam where muffler hooks to tailpipe.

Has anyone tried any of the exhaust repair JB Weld type stuff? I would love to get by for a few wheeling trips without spending the $$ to replace/replace right now?

Someone already answered this, and their idea was a great one!

If the exhaust system is worn out, rusted, and looking old, then yes, now is a perfect time to replace it.

You don't want a kit, those are a huge waste of money. The smart thing to do (and anyone here with any brains will tell you the same thing) is to go to your local exhaust shop and tell them to replace the entire exhaust system. I've had it done on two TJs, and both times it was less than $300 and done the same day while I waited. It's very easy for them to do, and will be way cheaper than a bolt-on "kit" which all seem to have issues of their own anyways.

See my response to number three above.

Assuming there are no mom and pop exhaust shops around for decades, what would you recommend to do instead? I would really prefer the s.s. over aluminized pipe. That only gets a few (2-5) years until it rots out from the salt. I've used Walker's lifetime warranty setup (only thing available other than Midas) and had rot in 2 years, muffler split in 3.