Questions about Larger Than stock Tires With No Lift.

French_Bulldog

Supporting Member
Hello,

I have a stock ‘98 2.5L. I’m currently running 28 or 29 inch tires, I can’t remember.

I’d like to go up to the biggest tire size that doesn’t rub, which I’ve heard are 31s.

So, my questions:

1. Can the stock rims handle a 31 inch tire?

2. Is this going to additionally stress the drivetrain or steering at all?

3. Any brand recommendations? I’d like something that lasts, but obviously rubber wears down no matter what the quality is.

Hoping to do this soon as my tires are wearing down & I should probably rotate my wheels anyways. Thanks!

Hello,

I have a stock ‘98 2.5L. I’m currently running 28 or 29 inch tires, I can’t remember.

I’d like to go up to the biggest tire size that doesn’t rub, which I’ve heard are 31s.

So, my questions:

3. Any brand recommendations? I’d like something that lasts, but obviously rubber wears down no matter what the quality is.

Hoping to do this soon as my tires are wearing down & I should probably rotate my wheels anyways. Thanks!

1. What stock rims do you have?

2. The Jeep that came from the factory with 31's (Rubicon) also came with stronger axles than you have front and rear. And 2 extra cylinders.

3. I like Goodyear - they are the only Tier 1 tire manufacturer that makes offroad tires

Hello,

So, my questions:

1 and 2. They’ll be fine.
3. You know the big names.

I bought my 99 SE 2.5L with 31s on it. I did get a little rub on the lower control arms, took about 5 minutes to fix with a couple washers. I didn't drive mine with the stock 28" tires, so I don't have a comparison for you, but physics tells us that your acceleration is going to be slower due to the additional rotating mass. I can tell you that the stock wheels take the 31s just fine.

Everyone says the Rubicon came with 31s, but technically came with 245/75/16s (30.5/9.5/16 in standard) with Rubicon rims that had less backspacing (I believe 5 inches) than the other stock rims to accommodate it. However the Rubicon rims are 16's and you will have a near impossible time finding tires for them in load c. Your best bet is aftermarket rims.

I ran 31/10.5/15 on a 4 cylinder, it is quite common and usually the largest tire you will want to go with and still be able to use 5th on flat highway with the stock 4.10s.

I would recommend Cooper Discoverer AT3 which is what I had on the 4 cylinder before I sold it, and it's what I run on my current TJ. They are a good all around tire but they are a little wide for rain and snow and have a habit of hydroplaning. but that is just the nature of the beast.

Reactions: SSTJ
Everyone says the Rubicon came with 31s, but technically came with 245/75/16s (30.5/9.5/16 in standard) with Rubicon rims that had less backspacing (I believe 5 inches) than the other stock rims to accommodate it. However the Rubicon rims are 16's and you will have a near impossible time finding tires for them in load c. Your best bet is aftermarket rims.

No 31" tires actually measure 31". He said he was using stock wheels, so that's a non-issue. They will fit.

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper

If you care to get even more picky, the Rubicon front Dana 44 has an added 1/4" of bump stop extension welded to the axle pad to reduce travel a bit. Even then, when the sway bar is disconnected, the stock size tires can grab the outer fender sheet metal at full articulation.

I am up in Canada as well and I am running Goodyear Duratracs in 31X10.50R15. More than happy with them for what I use my jeep for. And being as your in Canada if you buy them through Canadian tire you can buy their 4X4 tire warranty for about $16 extra a tire. If any one of your 4 tires is ever damaged where it requires replacement they replace all 4 and they are not pro-rated you just pay the new mount, balance and warranty costs as long as none of the 4 are below the wear limit which I believe is 3/32". They will occasionally go on sale at CT as well for 25% off if your not in a hurry. They stock KO2 and others brands if Duratracs are not your thing. The Duratracs do reasonably well in the snow, mud and sand out here in BC if I was rock crawling I would pick something else with more side-wall flex.

AC17A421-61C0-42C6-9FB4-7DF041BB786F.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman

I ran 31/10.5/15 on a 4 cylinder, it is quite common and usually the largest tire you will want to go with and still be able to use 5th on flat highway with the stock 4.10s.

I would recommend Cooper Discoverer AT3 which is what I had on the 4 cylinder before I sold it, and it's what I run on my current TJ. They are a good all around tire but they are a little wide for rain and snow and have a habit of hydroplaning. but that is just the nature of the beast.

I've had no problems with getting 15" and 16" Load Range "C" Goodyear Duratracs here in Canada. I bought a set of 16" tires for my LJ 2 weeks ago and 15" tires for my XJ at about this time last year. The 16" tires were made in Mexico and the 15" tires were made in Canada. Load Range "E" were also available but, like most, I prefer Load Range "C".

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
I've had no problems with getting 15" and 16" Load Range "C" Goodyear Duratracs here in Canada. I bought a set of 16" tires for my LJ 2 weeks ago and 15" tires for my XJ at about this time last year. The 16" tires were made in Mexico and the 15" tires were made in Canada. Load Range "E" were also available but, like most, I prefer Load Range "C".

Those are the only tires I was able to find in load c and the 245/75/16s are all out of stock, probably soon to be discontinued? I'm forced to buy 265/75/16, and I'm very anal about trying to keep the LJ stock as much as possible as it is basically a garage queen. There is no real wheeling around here and if I were to take a forest service road it would be in my TJ or dual sport.

FYI, in my signature line is a thread with lots of posts about the 2.5L engine.

Remember to keep your ride light, so that you can enjoy these larger sizes you're exploring.

If you stick with your stock wheels (presumably 15" wheels), then you should have an easy time finding 30" or 31" tires to fit.

My 30" tires rub a little bit at full turn, on an otherwise stock TJ. That's due to the more aggressive tread pattern of my tires, which has some treads on the top of the sidewall, for when the tire is aired down for off-road use. So even some 30s may rub at full turn.

Reactions: Woodrow