Questions about stretching the frame on a TJ

CJsWranglers

I own a 2005 TJ with very low miles and has been garage kept. So another words its in great condition.
I have already removed everything from the underside to do a long arm stretch. I am replacing the stock axles with G2 DANA 44 front and rear and planning to go with Clayton's 5.5" PRO SERIES 3 LINK LONG ARM LIFT KIT. I have 37in beadlock wheels. I'm also planning on replacing the fuel tank with a fuel cell in the back where I have removed the seat. Since I am going with the 37s I also plan on using rear corner guards. Now I have gone this far I am wondering if anyone has stretched the frame to the length of a LJ? While saying that I am not even sure if its even feasible to do. I may be crazy thinking this but using the corner guards for a LJ and some body work inside the tub, then only sketchy part is actually stretching the frame. I am looking for some input, ideas and suggestions if I can or if I should even attempt it.
20191015_104529.jpg

splicing the tub will be the hard part, and take some skill to rebuild and not look like ti was hacked n patched. the frame is the easiest part.

but why ? will that suspension links reach? or you want to retain overhang after moving the rear out?
kinda plexed why this would be considered.

From what little I know, I can't see a frame stretch being worth the effort without a fuel cell and also reducing the rear overhang. Who cares what the LJ is. You can do better.

Also, rethink the axles and the Clayton kit.

Reactions: Chris
I knew a guy that did it, I think he spliced the frame behind the trans skid and went from there. Then did the same with the tub, did a real nice job too, made the same dimensions so an LJ top fit perfectly. But ya can’t use the LJ rear corner guards without opening up the wheel well since the TJ’s have less overhang than the LJ’s. So basically you’ll have the same body/frame length as an LJ with better departure angle and more wheel base.

Search TJ-6 on Facebook. Or on google. Plenty of people have done it. I’m gathering parts to do it myself at some point.
Blaine's build in the second post is a TJ6. Though his other TJ stretches generally don't follow those proportions.

Maybe the most detailed and thorough TJ6 build is T-Jays thread over on JF. His interior body panels are really good and look factory.

I want to thank everyone for their input on my question on if I should stretch my TJ. I what I got from you guys is that it might be more work with little gain but it definitely can be done, which I wasn't sure about. I don't see the point of a Mid Arm Kit if you want to keep OEM. This is going to be a trail rig only, not my daily driver. This is the reason I am planning to go with a long arm kit. I am not set on Clayton but after talking with other guys with long arm kits everyone was happy with it but the guys with the Clayton were loving them. I got no bad reports on any of them so I would go with the ones that people loved more.

I want to thank everyone for their input on my question on if I should stretch my TJ. I what I got from you guys is that it might be more work with little gain but it definitely can be done, which I wasn't sure about. I don't see the point of a Mid Arm Kit if you want to keep OEM. This is going to be a trail rig only, not my daily driver. This is the reason I am planning to go with a long arm kit. I am not set on Clayton but after talking with other guys with long arm kits everyone was happy with it but the guys with the Clayton were loving them. I got no bad reports on any of them so I would go with the ones that people loved more.
A stretch really depends on what YOU want your wheelbase to be. What type of terrain YOU plan to wheel on.

Have you identified your desired belly height and wheelbase?

What are you trying to achieve with the long arm kit? Why?

Why the cheaper and less proven/popular Dana 44 housing?

People here don't love long arms. Keep it short arm or go to mid if your lifting

The problem with most folks "loving" what they have is they don't know any better. They have experience with 1 maybe 2 different suspension iterations and one of them was so bad that anything would be better. The point of the mid arm is to get very good geometry with everything you need and nothing you don't.

I am not opposed to stretching. I do it often. You picked roughly 104" of wheelbase for your 37's and that is a proper number for what we do when you combine it with about 22" or so of belly height.

I'm doing a TJ-6 but it isn't a primary wheeling rig. There is too much overhang for what we do. I bought it as a project that was already started. I wouldn't start from scratch and do it that way.

Stretching the frame makes sense if hill climb racing or mud bog racing is your goal but there are probably some other decent reasons too. I'd stay away from the long arms for just about anything but the mud bog.
Stretching the frame makes all the sense in the world for larger tires to keep the proper ratio between tire size and wheelbase.

From what little I know, I can't see a frame stretch being worth the effort without a fuel cell and also reducing the rear overhang. Who cares what the LJ is. You can do better.

Also, rethink the axles and the Clayton kit.
Tire size dependent but I finished one a bit ago with 114" of wheelbase, 40" tires, 23ish belly height, and a Genright tank under the back starting with a TJ Unlimited.

Reactions: CJsWranglers