• Looking for parts for your Jeep Wrangler TJ? Checkout the selection of TJ parts Amazon has to offer, many with 2-day Prime shipping!

Click the image below to browse TJ parts on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler TJ Parts on Amazon

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Questions about thermostat change

TexasTJ2004

I love my TJ
Supporting Member
No, I just fill it up, start and run til it reaches operating temp, let it cool, then top off the coolant through the radiator cap. May have to add a little to the reservoir after the next couple of drives.

I thought the factory procedure is to pull vacuum into cooling system, to evacuate any air. Then suck in new coolant through a valve. This way there is nothing to burp, as there was no air in the system to begin with.

freedom_in_4low

Sacred Order of the Coil Spring
Supporting Member
I thought the factory procedure is to pull vacuum into cooling system, to evacuate any air. Then suck in new coolant through a valve. This way there is nothing to burp, as there was no air in the system to begin with.

The 06 fsm doesn't say anything about pulling vacuum.

Screenshot_20220805-212204.png

I would think you could also just disconnect the heater hose from the thermostat housing and fill until it reaches that nipple before reconnecting the hose and finish filling.

Longwhitejeep

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Why not to just to buy the Mopar one? The Israeli factory that makes it, is supplying the the car manufacturers all over the world, not just as a replacement, but as something that comes from the factory.
It also has the jiggle, so you don’t need to drill anything whatsoever.

Is your mopar stat stamped motorad? Mine from Amazon is but it just came in a white box and is different than the standard motorad I ordered.

TexasTJ2004

I love my TJ
Supporting Member
It does not say anywhere Motorad. However, there is a single factory in Israel that is large manufacturer of thermostats, and it is Motorad. So I am 99% sure that what Mopar sells is Motorad.
They supply today significant percentage of cars in US, Germany and China, and I am not aware of any quality issues with their product.

A4A7B7A7-AEF9-41FD-A3DF-935FA39C1C79.jpeg

Longwhitejeep

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
It does not say anywhere Motorad. However, there is a single factory in Israel that is large manufacturer of thermostats, and it is Motorad. So I am 99% sure that what Mopar sells is Motorad.
They supply today significant percentage of cars in US, Germany and China, and I am not aware of any quality issues with their product.

View attachment 348687

Thanks. I'm not concerned with it being motorad or not. My mopar unit didn't come in a mopar bag. It had motorad stamped on the Stat though.

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
The thermostat I put in a few years ago when I reworked my entire cooling system was a MOPAR. Came in a bag, not sure if it had MOTORAD stamped on it or not. Everything has been working fine.

Reactions: Longwhitejeep

TexasTJ2004

I love my TJ
Supporting Member
So to summarize:
Mopar is motorad. It comes with the jiggle, so you don’t need to drill anything. Just install and be done with it.

Reactions: pagrey

Ericshere03

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
You might check out the part number I listed next time around.

i don’t think that part number you supplied is OEM. Those were the old Stant high flow, high performance mags sell them as their own brand, has a bigger valve. But if all the OEM thermostats I removed, they all looked like a Stant Superstat with a jiggler valve.

pagrey

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
i don’t think that part number you supplied is OEM.

It's not, I've tried them back to back with the OEM style and it was easy to tell the difference. I don't think anybody needs to run them but for what they cost it's what I run. It's a thermostat, not a big deal if it's the right temperature. I just don't understand why people spend more on the wrong deal without the valve.