Questions about upgrading my 97 TJ to run 35s

4.88 gears
Currie Currectlync steering components
Chromoly front axle shafts

Even if it’s for moderate wheeling and mostly looks you won’t regret at least a rear locker if you can afford it. One of the most useful upgrades you can make IMO.
Absolutely, I’ll have both front a rear lockers. Eaton most likely.

——JB Conversions Super Short SYE with Tom Woods Double Cardan drive shaft

——Revolution Super 35 rear axle kit 30 spline. (Buy it from the installer)

——4.88 re-gear front and rear (depending on transmission)

——35” KM3’s KO2’s load range C would serve you better, but if looks is what you’re going for then KM3’s

——Savvy 1.25” body lift

——Black Magic Big Brake Kit

——Borgeson steering shaft why?

——Not sure about the steering box upgrade (I think i heard of using a Durango steering box?) again why?

——Lockers? I just can’t make up my mind. I know I want lockers that I can engage myself but ARB, Eaton, Detroit, etc. I just don’t know. Eaton E-Lockers

just my $0.02
I can’t find the Savvy body lift anywhere in stock. Suggestions?

Reactions: DrDmoney
I run 35's with 4.56 gears and a 3 speed auto. On the interstate I can run close to 70mph at 3000rpms. This will kinda give you an idea.

How about the acceleration? Is it still got some get up and go?
Trust me, due to your 32RH 3-speed automatic you want 4.56 for your 35's. The 4.88 recommendation is coming from those with other transmissions or they trailer their Jeeps to go somewhere. The 3-speed automatic you have has no overdrive like all of the other Wrangler transmissions do.

I have direct experience with 4.88 gearing with 35's and the 3-speed and it wasn't good. I ended up having to make my drives in the slow-lane because of the high rpms.

I had originally geared to 4.88 for my 35's because I my TJ came with a 5-speed manual transmission. 4.88 was great for that transmission. Then I converted to the 32RH 3-speed automatic which was a GREAT upgrade but then my highway rpms became so high that I had to move over to the two slowest lanes. Go with 4.56. It'll be superb for offroad but it will also make driving on the highway a much better experience with better mpg too.

Trust me, due to your 32RH 3-speed automatic you want 4.56 for your 35's. The 4.88 recommendation is coming from those with other transmissions or they trailer their Jeeps to go somewhere. The 3-speed automatic you have has no overdrive like all of the other Wrangler transmissions do.

I have direct experience with 4.88 gearing with 35's and the 3-speed and it wasn't good. I ended up having to make my drives in the slow-lane because of the high rpms.

I had originally geared to 4.88 for my 35's because I my TJ came with a 5-speed manual transmission. 4.88 was great for that transmission. Then I converted to the 32RH 3-speed automatic which was a GREAT upgrade but then my highway rpms became so high that I had to move over to the two slowest lanes. Go with 4.56. It'll be superb for offroad but it will also make driving on the highway a much better experience with better mpg too.
Thanks. I really appreciate the advice!!!!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I second what Jerry said about the gears. I have 4.56 with the 32RH 3 speed and 33" tires. I turn about 3500rpm's on the interstate and it's very loud, sounds like its winding out. I've made several longish trips (5hrs one way) and I feel like I'm abusing the engine having it running such high rpm's for so long. With 35's your rpms will be down a little but still 3000+. I certainly would NOT consider 4.88's if you will do any interstate driving, in my opinion the rpm's are just too high.....stick with 4.56

I second what Jerry said about the gears. I have 4.56 with the 32RH 3 speed and 33" tires. I turn about 3500rpm's on the interstate and it's very loud, sounds like its winding out. I've made several longish trips (5hrs one way) and I feel like I'm abusing the engine having it running such high rpm's for so long. With 35's your rpms will be down a little but still 3000+. I certainly would NOT consider 4.88's if you will do any interstate driving, in my opinion the rpm's are just too high.....stick with 4.56
Thanks!!! I dropped the Jeep off today to get all the work done. I went with 4.56 and a few other suggestions that were made.

Big day for me! I dropped the Jeep off to get the work done.
They will be installing the following:

Rubicon 3.5” short arm super flex
Rancho 9,000’s
Yukon 4.56 gears front and back
Yukon chromoly Super 35 axles rear
Savvy 1.25” body lift
Brown Dog 1” motor lift
Currie Currectlync steering
Rancho 5000 stabilizer
Eaton lockers front and rear
Advance adapters SYE w/ Tom woods driveshaft
Black magic front rotors and pads
Pro Comp 69 polished aluminum wheels 17x9
Nitto Mud Grapplers 35x12.5x17

I’m so freaking excited!!!! Thanks for all the input! I will be posting some photos once it’s completed.

Big day for me! I dropped the Jeep off to get the work done.

Rancho 9,000’s
Savvy 1.25” body lift
Brown Dog 1” motor lift
Rancho 5000 stabilizer

I’m so freaking excited!!!! Thanks for all the input! I will be posting some photos once it’s completed.

That's awesome! You'll love it....get ya some good before and after pics.

Rancho 9,000’s
Savvy 1.25” body lift
Brown Dog 1” motor lift
Rancho 5000 stabilizer
Damn, what's that labor cost going to be?