Questions / advice on how to convince my wife to get a Jeep

"I'm really concerned about your safety when we move to Reno. I'd like you to have a 4WD vehicle in the winter snow. So your safe on the ice and snow. I think we should test drive a few newer Jeeps. They have all the safety features of a modern 4WD. But ride alot better than my Jeep."

I put in the "newer Jeeps". Because she's probably ridden in your TJ and knows what a rough ride that is. I don't have first hand knowledge. But I assume they ride better than a TJ. And you don't want her assuming that she's gonna end up with anything like your TJ. (I sound like a TJ basher. But I swear I'm not. lol.)

All you can do is go for it. Make it about how much you care about her. And she'll get the sentiment. Or manipulation. Depending on how you look at it. LOL! Hey women have been manipulating us for centuries. It's worth a try. :)

Take her out in your TJ a few times before trying to buy her a Jeep. She may hate it, she may love it. I found with my wife it’s something that had to grow on her. The main reason she goes wheeling with me every once in awhile is just to be with me. She will never get behind the wheel. I offered. She didn’t want to. She just likes to ride along. Start there....don’t just go drop $35K

They might look dumb but that's the number one thing women like to put on their Jeeps besides those fake eyelashes on their headlights.

Huh, that's weird...my girl put a set of 33's, a winch and a Gobi Stealth on her LJ. I figured that was normal.

Yeah, but did she think it was impractical to put the correct gears in like every other soccer mom with a Jeep and 33's? hahaha

Not at all; we had a few long conversations on gearing, but since she's 1) not a soccer mom and 2) far more intelligent and practical than I am, there was never any question about whether or not a gear change was necessary. Now, there were questions about which gas tank and skid to go with (which led to my long love/hate relationship with GenRight) but that's another story. Perhaps you accidentally read "LJ" as "JL" in my previous post? ;)

First .. it sounds like you want another one.

Second , rent one similar to what you would buy and let her drive it one weekend.

3rd - prepare to be disappointed. From that Cadillac to a Jeep is a quantum leap, and she will likely castrate you if you somehow trick her into this. She’s on the Cadillac forum right now trying to figure out how to get you to buy a normal car or keep the Cadillac in the divorce.

Cadillac women don’t like Jeeps . My wife drives a Lincoln MKX , she would as soon drive the lawnmower as my TJ. I’m good with that.

• Haha
Reactions: Lilbomb and astjp2
That's an easy one, just use the 10 method. Tell her a Jeep makes a woman look 10 years younger, 10 lbs lighter and saves you 10% at the Mall.
When I read this post to my wife, whom happens to drive a TJ, she tell her about the wave. Not sure what that means but it seems to be important to women.

First .. it sounds like you want another one.

Second , rent one similar to what you would buy and let her drive it one weekend.

3rd - prepare to be disappointed. From that Cadillac to a Jeep is a quantum leap, and she will likely castrate you if you somehow trick her into this. She’s on the Cadillac forum right now trying to figure out how to get you to buy a normal car or keep the Cadillac in the divorce.

Cadillac women don’t like Jeeps . My wife drives a Lincoln MKX , she would as soon drive the lawnmower as my TJ. I’m good with that.

Agree mine drives a MB E350, she rides in the jeep only at the cabin and usually when I say WE are taking the jeep to town or the lake. She stopped her off road adventures many year ago, in fact her idea of " Roughing It " now is a Hotel w/o Room Service.

Reactions: AndyG
I'm really concerned about your safety when we move to Reno.
Honestly, on the snow ice thing...... Wranglers are inferior. You want safety get a Subaru AWD... or maybe an Audi. No one does AWD better but there may be a few who are now equal.

As for safety in Reno..... think car jacking and get a car that automatically locks the doors as you go into gear. Definitely the proximity key that unlocks the car as you run up in a panic is a good thing.

Count air bags. Weight is kind of a good thing too. But no, Wranglers are never bought to keep our wives or daughters "safe".