Questions before buying our 2nd TJ

NWPA Jeepy T

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
What year did they switch from cable to rotary heat/air controls and which is more reliable?
What year did they go from a distributor cap to coil packs in the 4.0?
What year did they add fold and tumble driver's seat?
How hard is it to swap in an auto trans where there is a stick and where to source? Junkyard or Davey's or somewhere else?

Thanks for your help!
This forum is awesome!
~Todd

What year did they switch from cable to rotary heat/air controls and which is more reliable?
What year did they go from a distributor cap to coil packs in the 4.0?
What year did they add fold and tumble driver's seat?
How hard is it to swap in an auto trans where there is a stick and where to source? Junkyard or Davey's or somewhere else?

Thanks for your help!
This forum is awesome!
~Todd
The changes/differences between TJs are 97-02 and 03-06.

Edit: if you have a choice, look for the latter

I have a 2002 and it has all that stuff.
I always see parts for TJs separated by 97-02 and 03-06. Maybe that’s just for skid plate and soft tops? Always just assumed the interior controls followed the same years.

I always see parts for TJs separated by 97-02 and 03-06. Maybe that’s just for skid plate and soft tops? Always just assumed the interior controls followed the same years.
I think for the things asked about by the OP began in 2000. Course, I am no expert and did not stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night.😂

That being said there were a lot of other changes made in 2003.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jazngab
What year did they switch from cable to rotary heat/air controls and which is more reliable? 1999
What year did they go from a distributor cap to coil packs in the 4.0? 2000
What year did they add fold and tumble driver's seat? All years had this available.
How hard is it to swap in an auto trans where there is a stick and where to source? Junkyard or Davey's or somewhere else? Much easier to swap from manual to auto in the 1997 - 2002 models with the 32RH.

Thanks for your help!
This forum is awesome!
~Todd

Also, if you're looking for 32RH auto swap parts, I collected several things for this, but ended up not using them. You can message me if you're interested.

Reactions: billiebob

Nope! My 2000 had all that stuff except the tumble seat.

I had a 2000, it was distributorless ignition and had the rotary hvac controls. I’m not positive but I do believe it had the fold n tumble sets as well.

I've had the heat cables kink on both my 97s. Does anyone want to chime in on the longevity of the rotary controls.
Also, my 97s didn't have fold and tumble driver's seats. I had to buy the brackets separately.
Basically, I'll be looking for 4.0 auto, but with the kiddos, I'll want fold & tumble driver's side. heater controls are just an extra so I dont have to fix that again like the last 2 97s

I've had the heat cables kink on both my 97s. Does anyone want to chime in on the longevity of the rotary controls.
Also, my 97s didn't have fold and tumble driver's seats. I had to buy the brackets separately.
Basically, I'll be looking for 4.0 auto, but with the kiddos, I'll want fold & tumble driver's side. heater controls are just an extra so I dont have to fix that again like the last 2 97s

My 99 had the fold/tumble seats.

My 98 has fold and tumble seats.

Driver side flip and fold (similar to passenger).
Don't know what year it started, but I think it was an option at first; so not all years have it.
Also, some may have been added by previous owner.

I would like to find a non-flip n fold bracket, if anyone has one (03-06)?

Everything I’ve heard is that the drivers side seat option was a crap shoot. None of my 2002s (3 of them) had the driver sides seats. I’ve also never seen it as an option on a build sheet. I bought the bracket for my DD. I still need to reach under the seat to fold it under but that’s not a big deal. One thing to consider is the steering wheel. You don’t get the clearance you do on the passenger side because of it. My kids use the passenger side and use the driver side mostly when cleaning the back seats.