Questions on the Magnum V8 swap

Ditch the Kegger.....do not follow ancient Magnum based conventional wisdom.... We have dyno'd this stuff and even on a torque based application , WITH PROPER TUNING you can keep your tq and pick up power everywhere else....

How would I contact you to decide what I am going to do and have you create a tune for me? my doner vehicle arrives on Saturday. it is a running and drivable truck - but with really bad tires that scare me a little. I'd like to make the mods with is in the truck so I know everything is working well before I pull it. I'd like toget started right away as I don't really have a good place to store a 5th vehicle.

Reactions: Wildman
How would I contact you to decide what I am going to do and have you create a tune for me? my doner vehicle arrives on Saturday. it is a running and drivable truck - but with really bad tires that scare me a little. I'd like to make the mods with is in the truck so I know everything is working well before I pull it. I'd like toget started right away as I don't really have a good place to store a 5th vehicle.

Easiest way is to email or text Ryan.
Go to Flyin Ryan Performance, he's got a website. Also you can contact him on Facebook.

Sales line is 936 230-3054 ext 101
Email: [email protected] for sales/general inquiries.

My phone number is not listed anymore as I have staff to handle the day to day operations.

I'm Back with more questions....

I spoke to someone at Flying Ryan. I think I'm just going to do the air gap intake, larger TB and a tune to begin with. I have only found Huges for an intake drilled for fuel injection. Are there others? or is this fine? Any TB recomendations?

Ryan sayd I need to find someone else to set up my pcm with my vin and such. I see places that sell them fairly cheap with that info. Do you know if I can plug a 1999 pcm into a 97 wireing harness and expect it to run? Are the plugs the same? if so are the pins oriented the same? I'd like to have it run in the ram before I pull it, then I know any problems will be in my wireing harness.

@Wildman I believe in one of the threads you said you have the info about what pin does what for the 4.0 and the 5.9. Is that something you could share? I'd like to start planning my wireing harnes build. Then I think it is just the bellhousing and motor mounts to get this thing underway!

I'm Back with more questions....

I spoke to someone at Flying Ryan. I think I'm just going to do the air gap intake, larger TB and a tune to begin with. I have only found Huges for an intake drilled for fuel injection. Are there others? or is this fine? Any TB recomendations?

The 2 aftermarket intakes that were offered for the Magnum engines were the Mopar M1 & the Air Gap. There were a few others but none are made any more. Mopar stopped offering the M1 about 6-8 years ago so if you can find one they sell for $$$$ ($700) or more. Also the M1 was a single plane intake where the Air Gap is a dual plane.

F&B Throttle Bodies is a GOOD company if that is what you want. The Magnum Facebook group I'm in has the admin offering 53mm TB's for $165 shipped. You can either send him your TB first or wait until you get the modified one. https://www.facebook.com/groups/290017301369073/permalink/1933370317033755/

Ryan sayd I need to find someone else to set up my pcm with my vin and such. I see places that sell them fairly cheap with that info. Do you know if I can plug a 1999 pcm into a 97 wireing harness and expect it to run? Are the plugs the same? if so are the pins oriented the same? I'd like to have it run in the ram before I pull it, then I know any problems will be in my wireing harness.

You would have to look at the Pin Outs for both the 97 & 99 PCM but I don't think it will be an issue. Is there a reason you need your VIN in the PCM? Is it required for AZ emissions? I know some states do require it but if you don't need the VIN for local requirements then there isn't any other reason to have it. My first PCM that I bought online off EBAY had my VIN flashed in it. Where this caused problems was when hooking it up to a scanner. It would think it was still dealing with a 4 cyl Jeep instead of a Dodge V-8.

@Wildman I believe in one of the threads you said you have the info about what pin does what for the 4.0 and the 5.9. Is that something you could share? I'd like to start planning my wireing harnes build. Then I think it is just the bellhousing and motor mounts to get this thing underway!

I've got some cheat sheets I put together for others who have done this swap and what wires they had to change or blend together. But I haven't had a chance to sit down and verify that they are all correct so use them at you own risk.

Get the Advanced Adapters motor mounts and follow their directions with placement.

Also are you planning on running headers or stock exhaust manifolds? I've got some info about each.

Here is how some have modified their shifters to have the shift handle fit thru the stock hole in the tub.

This first one is a little more elegant.

Shifter Mod 2.jpg

Shifter Mod 3.jpg

2nd one gets the job done just isn't a pretty.

Shifter Mod.jpg

Cheat Sheets are the PDF file.

Attachments

• Engine Swap Wiring Maybe-converted.pdf
    179.9 KB · Views: 164
to do the wire harness you have to pull any and all the information from whatever source's you can find. Read a lot and take the one thing from it to add to your plan. Then get the FSM for your year of jeep and the donor year and then spend hours tracking out each wire that needs to be blended. I want to say about 13 wires in total for me but you will realize that each and every swap is unique as everyone pulls their own resources where they find them. I would say I did about 20 hours of just mapping out pin to pin what i needed to do because each manual calls the same thing different names etc.... Once you put the time in the easier it gets just keep telling yourself not to get overwhelmed and just go 1 wire at a time. Its your swap so do it the way you want when it comes to times where you cant find a clear answer. Keep asking questions but keep moving forward. my point to all this is there is not one way to do it. but it can be done as I did all my own in my garage, When I had a question I asked. One day I was in a junk yard and couldn't remember something so I called Rick on the phone from the junkyard in Alabama and he was at some friends in Washington state but he answered and helped me out. so ask when you need too. just keep searching and reading and write it down and keep it logged! as one day you will need to come back to it.

Here's one of the stock throttle bodies that was bored out to 53mm by the link I'd posted.

20231102_133232.jpg

20231102_133238.jpg

It's going on my truck along with the shorty headers I couldn't use on the Jeep.

Reactions: Paparock1
A 5.9 with a Comp cam in it & these numbers are at the wheels. 307 hp and 359 torque, Comp Cam 20-746-9, 4 barrel M1, F&B 52mm throttle body and Spintech headers

1702773581530.png

1702773622484.png

Is that a combination that you have run through emissions testing? I do have to pass emissions here in Maracopa county. I assume that requires a custom tune. I am thinking of starting with an intake, TB, and headers to keep things simple and use an off the shelf tune. My wife is getting me the motor mounts for christmas. now all I need is a bell housing.

Is that a combination that you have run through emissions testing? I do have to pass emissions here in Maracopa county. I assume that requires a custom tune. I am thinking of starting with an intake, TB, and headers to keep things simple and use an off the shelf tune. My wife is getting me the motor mounts for christmas. now all I need is a bell housing.

That isn't mine just a post from another group member on FB. Was posting to show what is possible since people like to rag on the Dodge engines saying they don't make power.
The two biggest issues with the 5.2/5.9 V-8's were a really small cam & the heads not flowing very well. I'd add a cam to your list if it was me.

My guess is with a good tune from FRP that it would pass emissions. That isn't a radical cam he's using but you'll always get better performance even with a canned tune from FRP.
Here's what Comp says:
Xtreme Energy™ Computer Controlled 216/224 Hydraulic Roller Cam for Chrysler Magnum with 1.6 Rockers. Performance cam for 360. Likes lower gears and exhaust. Requires computer modifications. (Note: 1992-02 w/ Stud Mount Rockers & Electric Fuel Pump, Short Snout)

Engine Family:Chrysler 273-360 c.i. 8 Cylinder (1964-2002)
RPM Operating Range:1,200-5,400
Grind Number:XR265HR-14
Cam Type:Hydraulic Roller
Lifter Style:Hydraulic Roller
Camshaft Series:Xtreme Energy Computer Controlled
Usage:Street/Performance
California Proposition 65:WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm P65Warnings.ca.gov
Advertised Intake Duration:265
Advertised Exhaust Duration:273
Intake Duration at .050 Inch Lift:216
Exhaust Duration at .050 Inch Lift:224
Intake Valve Lift:0.506
Exhaust Valve Lift:0.506
Lobe Separation:114
Exhaust Close ATDC:18
Intake Open BTDC:23
Exhaust Open BBDC:75
Intake Close ABDC:62

Look at the difference between the Grand Cherokee above & this Ram 5.9. Just adding the cam & intake & TB netted him 100 HP & 100 ft lb TQ over stock. That isn't too bad.

Here's a COOL self made huffer setup

1704323371529.png

He's using a Thunderbird (Superbird) supercharger off the 3.8 V-6.

1704323442612.png

Wouldn't work for me since I've got the OBA York on the passenger side of my engine. Here's all his parts painted.

1704323543101.png

1704323592114.png

Waiting to see if he posts more information on it but he's figuring 6lbs of boost which should be good for 60 HP & 100 ft TQ approximately. He's hoping for 330 WHP in a 98 Durango.

Reactions: Apparition