Questions on the Magnum V8 swap

fikeweston

Supporting Member
I have an 02 wrangler TJ 4.0 5 speed.
I have been reading on the forums of the other swaps but I wasn’t sure what wiring I needed to watch for considering my year. Most swaps I’ve seen have been either older years or different cylinders. As far as I know ZJ is preferred for motor donor for P/S and things like that. With my NV 3550 manual trans I’ve read a 92-99 dodge Dakota bell housing works and bolts right up. Can anyone please confirm that?
still yet I want the easiest straightforward wiring situation for my TJ I can have. Any advice or tips would be much appreciated. I’m a newbie at forums so please look over me

Magnum swaps are fairly straight-forward... here are some answers off the top of my head:

- ZJ motor (except for 1998) will be a 5.2L. In my experience with Magnums (which includes a few swaps and a recent stroker build), you can usually find a 5.9L from a Ram 1500/2500 much easier and cheaper. The Ram P/S is taller than the ZJ, but that is a relatively easier swap and ZJ take-off parts are readily available. ZJ (except the 'Niner) has return-style fuel rail. The 96+ Ram Magnums are returnless style and will work perfectly with your 2002 TJ fuel system.

- To get an ECM that will work with your gauges and dash, IIRC you'll need a 2001-2003 Ram ECM (which is PCI communication based). Based on EPA requirements, you will need a 02-03 ECM to being fully compliant.

- You can use a Dakota bellhousing (must be from an AX-equipped Dakota with a 3.9L). You will use a flywheel appropriate for your engine block, Jeep clutch and throwout bearing, Jeep pressure plate, and Ram/Magnum pilot bearing (note that there are a few early odd-year Magnums that need to be run with a pilot bearing and adapter).

- Wiring is really easy. The Magnum ECM only needs ~15 wires connected/spliced to get full functionality. If you do it right, your Connector C on a 3-plug JTEC ECM will work perfectly with the Magnum JTEC. There are some wires that will need to be spliced into the Connector B + A harness (the one that goes to the engine and trans) but that's straight forward (can't blanket statement what would need to be connected as there are a number of changes in the 98.5+ years, so it would depend on what you have).

Last edited:
Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Okay so I need a 98.5-2003 5.9, computer and all wiring components, dodge Dakota bell housing but must be from a manual. And when talking about gauges and dash you said IIRC? What does that mean? Thank you guys for the help. I’ve read some of @Wildman and @RangerRick posts.

Okay so I need a 98.5-2003 5.9, computer and all wiring components, dodge Dakota bell housing but must be from a manual. And when talking about gauges and dash you said IIRC? What does that mean? Thank you guys for the help. I’ve read some of @Wildman and @RangerRick posts.
Magnum swaps are fairly straight-forward... here are some answers off the top of my head:

- ZJ motor (except for 1998) will be a 5.2L. In my experience with Magnums (which includes a few swaps and a recent stroker build), you can usually find a 5.9L from a Ram 1500/2500 much easier and cheaper. The Ram P/S is taller than the ZJ, but that is a relatively easier swap and ZJ take-off parts are readily available. ZJ (except the 'Niner) has return-style fuel rail. The 96+ Ram Magnums are returnless style and will work perfectly with your 2002 TJ fuel system.

- To get an ECM that will work with your gauges and dash, IIRC you'll need a 98.5-2003 Ram ECM (which is PCI communication based). Based on EPA requirements, you will need a 02-03 ECM to being fully compliant.

- You can use a Dakota bellhousing (must be from an AX-equipped Dakota with a 3.9L). You will use a flywheel appropriate for your engine block, Jeep clutch and throwout bearing, Jeep pressure plate, and Ram/Magnum pilot bearing (note that there are a few early odd-year Magnums that need to be run with a pilot bearing and adapter).

- Wiring is really easy. The Magnum ECM only needs ~15 wires connected/spliced to get full functionality. If you do it right, your Connector C on a 3-plug JTEC ECM will work perfectly with the Magnum JTEC. There are some wires that will need to be spliced into the Connector B + A harness (the one that goes to the engine and trans) but that's straight forward (can't blanket statement what would need to be connected as there are a number of changes in the 98.5+ years, so it would depend on what you have).
By the way, will that bell housing work with my NV 3550 trans? I responded to the rest below but couldn’t figure out if it replied to you or not

By the way, will that bell housing work with my NV 3550 trans? I responded to the rest below but couldn’t figure out if it replied to you or not
IIRC = "If I recall correctly" - basically a disclaimer that I'm human sometimes get details mixed up, but this is as I currently remember it :)

Regarding the bellhousing, I have never adapters a NV3550 to a Mopar motor but I do believe that the NV transmissions will take the AX bellhousing without issue.

Correction: you need a 2001-2003 ECM to work with your gauges (96-98 Ram is SCI, 98.5-00 is CCD, 01+ is PCI). You will have a hard time finding a manual trans option, so plan on ordering a replacement or having yours flashed.

Last edited:

You will need a PCM from a 2001-2002 vehicle to make it work with your dash. 1997-2000 used CCD format and then 2001-2006 PCI format.

If you want to keep a manual trans you will have to get a PCM from a auto trans vehicle and then send it to B&G to have it converted to a manual PCM since manual PCM's for the PCI format are VERY rare. It isn't a big deal to have this done.

Yes you need a Dakota bellhousing from a 94-99 V-6 to be able to use your manual trans behind a magnum V-8.

This is one of the best threads for information about doing the swap but it is over on the Jeep Forum.

https://tinyurl.com/49jeeya6

Reactions: pc1p
YES??? Got questions Andy? Or things to add with your experiance with your V-8?
This thread just caught my eye-

I’m really impressed with how the magnum wires in.

Right now mine is still getting the suspension done.

Of all things I am stranded at the Dallas Fort Worth airport due to a delayed flight...there is no telling what I’m liable to post before the night is over.

This thread just caught my eye-

I’m really impressed with how the magnum wires in.

Right now mine is still getting the suspension done.

Of all things I am stranded at the Dallas Fort Worth airport due to a delayed flight...there is no telling what I’m liable to post before the night is over.

Being stranded in an airport SUCKS. Hope you get out of there soon.

Yes wiring in the magnum engine isn't all that hard and as pc1p said. Setting one up into a older rig is even easier if you're not trying to get the dash to play nice.

Reactions: AndyG
Being stranded in an airport SUCKS. Hope you get out of there soon.

Yes wiring in the magnum engine isn't all that hard and as pc1p said. Setting one up into a older rig is even easier if you're not trying to get the dash to play nice.
Man I am out of my mind. I never would have signed up for this had I known the flights were so tight.

Hope you get out of there soon. Flying hasn't been on my list of LIKES for a long time.
Thanks, we are on a will call for around 8 am but who knows ...in one sense I could get all wrapped around the axle about it at the same time I have been really pushing myself to grow in self mastery lately. About time I reckon. 55 in october .

You will need a PCM from a 2001-2002 vehicle to make it work with your dash. 1997-2000 used CCD format and then 2001-2006 PCI format.

If you want to keep a manual trans you will have to get a PCM from a auto trans vehicle and then send it to B&G to have it converted to a manual PCM since manual PCM's for the PCI format are VERY rare. It isn't a big deal to have this done.

Yes you need a Dakota bellhousing from a 94-99 V-6 to be able to use your manual trans behind a magnum V-8.

This is one of the best threads for information about doing the swap but it is over on the Jeep Forum.

Thank you for the reply. And if I can’t get a PCM from the junkyard or etc could a used one off of eBay work? Still trying to source the Dag on bell housing lol. That’s hard enough itself. Thank you so much for all the help. And

thank you for the response. Who is B&G? Forgive my ignorance I’m just not familiar. Tried googling it and got B&G oysters lol. Wasn’t sure who to contact when I got to that step, currently looking for the bell housing first.

Reactions: Wildman
Thank you for the reply. And if I can’t get a PCM from the junkyard or etc could a used one off of eBay work? Still trying to source the Dag on bell housing lol. That’s hard enough itself. Thank you so much for all the help. And thank you for the response. Who is B&G? Forgive my ignorance I’m just not familiar. Tried googling it and got B&G oysters lol. Wasn’t sure who to contact when I got to that step, currently looking for the bell housing first.
B&G was one of the original companies to break the JTEC PCM's. They tuned the PCM I was running in my TJ with the 5.2. I'll be getting a custom tune from FRP (Flyin Ryan Performance) when I get my rig running again.
Yes you can get a PCM off Ebay but you need to verify which part number you will want/need. Also if you do get it off Ebay try to find one that didn't have a security system or alarm installed. When you send it to B&G have them check and make sure there isn't any SKIM or alarm activated on the PCM. If there is then have it all turned off.

Look on car-part.com it is a website that has participating junk yards and they list their inventory. Just searching for a 1997 Dakota with a V-6 I found 5 bellhousings.

One of the other things to understand when looking at doing this swap is keeping it EPA/SMOG legal. Even if you live in a part of the country where they don't do any testing or visual checking it is wise to keep it legal. Dodge last year of using the magnum V-8's in their truck/SUV was 2003 but they are very rare. So if you can I suggest finding a wrecked 2002 Dodge truck or SUV with the only bad part is that the starter is on the drivers side. And as had been pointed out the power steering bracket is a little wider on the Dodge V-8 compared to the Jeep brackets. And with a Jeep magnum V-8 the starter is on the passenger side but you would have to retain the auto trans to keep it on the passenger side as the starter mounts are part of the bell housing and not the block.
You could use and older block as long as you use all the emission equipment from a 2002 truck/SUV which should be close to the same as what you currently have installed in your TJ.

Good lord just looked on ebay for the dakota bellhousings...holy shit I need to find a couple of those lol

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
Not the best pictures but here is the difference between the Dodge P/S and Jeep P/S. One thing to remember is that the pump is larger on the Dodge. Now I don't think this has any affect on performance.

Dodge

Accwiring[1].jpg

Jeep/ZJ

TJ Power Steering Pump.jpg

Accwiring[1].jpg

Reactions: 5632 and P man
Good lord just looked on ebay for the dakota bellhousings...holy shit I need to find a couple of those lol

I remember when you could get them for $30-65 all the time. Now they seem to be $150 or more. I wonder what it would cost for someone like Advanced Adapters or Novak to make a copy of that bellhousing? But I don't know that there is enough demand anymore to support this.

Reactions: P man