Quick por15 question

GeorgeSully

TJ Enthusiast
I just applied the first coat of por15 to my frame and there’s one thing I noticed that concerned me. In some spots it seems to be drying quickly and making kind of streaks like when water is starting to dry and exposing metal. It is 70% humidity but I don’t know what’s causing this. Any ideas before my second coat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just applied the first coat of por15 to my frame and there’s one thing I noticed that concerned me. In some spots it seems to be drying quickly and making kind of streaks like when water is starting to dry and exposing metal. It is 70% humidity but I don’t know what’s causing this. Any ideas before my second coat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you do all the necessary prep work before applying the POR15? Degreasing and spraying with metal prep?

From POR website:

POR-15 is cured and strengthened by exposure to moisture and will dry faster under extreme humidity, but moderate to dry atmospheric conditions are most desirable when applying this product,because extreme humidity may cause an immediate surface cure, trapping carbon dioxide gas below the surface. When this happens, bubbling may occur. Extreme humidity at the time of application may also interfere with proper adhesion of the POR-15 coating to metal because it's almost impossible to keep metal dry under such conditions.

Sounds like it may be a humidity issue.

Last edited: