Quick question: Respooling synthetic line.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Initial installation of synthetic line requires some tensioning while winding it on...

BUT

When re-spooling after use, should it also be done the same way, or will careful hand guidance be enough?

When you first get a rope it's a good idea to set it. That's just a good load on the line. Beyond that you can spool it however you want. Everybody knows when you release the free spool the tension is gone and you loose that initial tension they suggest you need to do. I still tension my rope once a year just so it looks neat on the drum, it serves no real purpose. When you let out line the tension is released, especially if you go down to the lower wraps.

Reactions: mrjp
Initial installation of synthetic line requires some tensioning while winding it on...

BUT

When re-spooling after use, should it also be done the same way, or will careful hand guidance be enough?
After use, the same rules apply since the objective is the same. You need the lower layers tight and compact to prevent the upper layers from sinking down into them under load and getting stuck in the lower layers. The only way to prevent that is to tension the line under load onto the drum.

If we are doing back to back pulls on a long trail recovery and don't have the luxury of tensioning the line, we will move the line by hand so it lays down on the drum with a long x pattern. Or put another way, as it is going in, move it fairly fast across the drum so each layer crosses the one below to create a series of Xs. That is only when we are running out a few drum layers, doing a short pull and then need to reel in the slack to move to the next anchor point. Easier than wadding it all up and shoving it behind the winch or having someone carry it.

Reactions: Brianj5600
The only way to prevent that is to tension the line under load onto the drum.
How do you keep tension when the drum is free to rotate as you are pulling rope out? When you attach the rope to whatever you are pulling the drum provides no resistance to keep anything but maybe light hand tension, you don't power out do you?

After use, the same rules apply since the objective is the same. You need the lower layers tight and compact to prevent the upper layers from sinking down into them under load and getting stuck in the lower layers. The only way to prevent that is to tension the line under load onto the drum.

If we are doing back to back pulls on a long trail recovery and don't have the luxury of tensioning the line, we will move the line by hand so it lays down on the drum with a long x pattern. Or put another way, as it is going in, move it fairly fast across the drum so each layer crosses the one below to create a series of Xs. That is only when we are running out a few drum layers, doing a short pull and then need to reel in the slack to move to the next anchor point. Easier than wadding it all up and shoving it behind the winch or having someone carry it.
Thank you Sir - makes complete sense to me. Plus, I can now correctly use the "tail" of the rope and wind the line over it after your previous comment made me go research it on TRE's website.

Thank you Sir - makes complete sense to me. Plus, I can now correctly use the "tail" of the rope and wind the line over it after your previous comment made me go research it on TRE's website.
Next time you have the line mostly off, you can always duct tape the tail down which keeps it properly positioned while winding the first layers into place.

Duct-taping.jpg

How do you keep tension when the drum is free to rotate as you are pulling rope out? When you attach the rope to whatever you are pulling the drum provides no resistance to keep anything but maybe light hand tension, you don't power out do you?
It's a non-issue. I've never seen a synthetic rope unspool itself while free spooling.

Reactions: pagrey