Quick trip to Crossbar Ranch in Davis, OK

hear

Can't type
Lifetime Supporting Member
For the DFW crew, Crossbar is the best wheeling in a 4 hour drive, and we have good wheeling friends in Norman, OK so we go to Crossbar as much as we can. Turner falls is gorgeous and only 5 min from the park, so if you're looking for more than wheeling it's got a little bit of that too. The park itself is huge, something like 6000 acres, wooded, rocky, and wet in some places. I don't know what people actually mean when they say 'rock crawling" but this is our version of it.

was 68F when I left my house, so I dressed a little warmer than usual because I wanted to go doors-off. Thankfully had a tail wind so I didn't have to deal with an annoying cross wind through the cab. Ended up being a gorgeous morning/day. Then there was a wreck on the highway I use for the last 30 minutes, so Waze routed me on the backroads and with the sun at my back. Made for a really fun ride home, glad I left the doors there this time around.

Sorry for the pictures of the JKU, I was trailing him most of the day so you're seeing what I saw.

image8.jpeg

This was about midway on a pretty challenging trail called Onion Patch. We met up with a dad & kid on 4 wheelers....the kid was scared out of his mind, but he was literally caught between some rocks and a hard place.
image4.jpeg

image6.jpeg

Our buddy in the perpetually broke down Sami. The rocks behind him are some of the entries to a huge rock mountain called Rock Face. It's pretty freaking steep on the harder entries. Normally you have to cross a stream to get there so your tires are wet and the rocks are wet from the last group to try it, but today was dry and was much easier. Pictures never do justice to the angles. This picture represents about a third of the overall height, it gets much higher to the left.

image9.jpeg

And then the view from the top. Well, maybe 2/3 up. The last third doesn't represent the challenge, so we didn't bother. On busy days that whole lower area is full of Rzr's and white claw watching people try to get up. Going down is even more dicey. Last year we saw a dude in a SxS roll back down and need to be care flighted out. Be smart out there people. It's a roll cage, not a force field.

image10.jpeg

There are some rivers/creeks that snake through the property that make for some fantastic trails when the water is up. They're fun even when it's low.

image7.jpeg

image2.jpeg

This is normally a waterfall that can be pretty tricky to get up. The rocks are weird on the other side so your work is only halfway done once you hit the apex. Again pictures don't do this justice, especially not without the water flowing.
image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Spent Saturday up there again, some things were a little harder since it had rained the week before. One question I always have, which is really impossible to answer, is "how hard do we go?" Everybody's grading scale is different, but I like to be able to give a reasonable answer whenever somebody wants to tag along with our group. I mean, I think we go pretty hard for the vehicles we have (meaning we don't have buggys, only one person even has 37's [the guy with the Rubicon Gladiator], over half of us drive our jeep to/from the trails), but I also don't want to under or over-sell.

I mention that because there are a few "spectator" areas at Crossbar, where all the SxSs with their LED whips all hang out and drink beer watching people attempt certain climbs. There was one spot we came to (which my and my little open diff TJ did with no problem 2 weeks prior) where about 20 Razrs where sitting around...you should've seen the look in their eyes when they asked us if we were going up that hill and we said yes. They all pour out of their vehicles to watch us try it. Naturally we succeeded, and they all went nuts and honked their horns in approval. Honestly, it wasn't really that hard, just was soft and took a lot of send.

But I guess I a boatload of rednecks who basically make a weekend of sending it think its a big deal for us to take that hill, then maybe we go harder than I ever realized. IDK. But I've never wheeled Utah or anywhere out west, so it's probably all relative.

We only sustained one injury; an XJ sheared the rear driveshaft/yoke bolts halfway through one of the harder trails we've done there (it's called Goat, for the curious), so he had to complete it in front wheel drive. That was fun, he really tested the limits of his winch's duty cycle.

Great pics! Love the terrain. Love the sign on the tree too, which is why I left a laughing emoji on your post!

• Love
Reactions: hear
Great pictures and description. I have been eyeing this place for a while. Looks like it has enough technical stuff to be fun - added to the list! Thanks for sharing.

Had a 7 jeep caravan at Crossbar this weekend, including an LJ that is mostly an over lander and as such is like a Sprinter going down the trails. He's a good dude and was able to hang with us, so no judgment.

7A962275-0011-404C-9F9A-04FC116A04D0.jpeg

6AE26DE4-0658-4A6F-8320-95885F79E6DF.jpeg

Found our way into the hardest trail they have to offer (that we’ve found anyway): Oh Schmidt! The first time we found this spot we were overwhelmed by the difficulty & our lack of skill. This time we have a lot more skill and weren’t overwhelmed by the difficulty; we were just overwhelmed by the difficulty. Very steep incline with slippery dirt interspersed with tall rock steps we were never getting over. One day we’ll winch over it just to see where it goes. The Sami tried to find an alternate path (failed).

5462D10F-A0E6-48D5-90C3-74093D277F6F.jpeg

But it’s pretty scenery.

D1817094-85C1-4230-BB39-87E113C2736B.jpeg

E5AC3EFD-5E72-40BA-ABC6-825D05FAEE77.jpeg

Last edited:
This is after it broke, but it’s a taste. There is/was not a path up where he’s going up here. The LJ & Gladiator were in the way on the trail, but that wasn't going to stop him. This was his 2nd attempt. The first attempt cleared most of the brush.

Last edited:
@hear How long is Crossbar able to keep ya occupied? I'm planning a trip up to OK and am trying to figure out how many days I should plan to spend there in order to hit most of the trails in the park.

The biggest issue is that there’s no map of the place, so I don’t even know what I haven’t seen yet. And the 2nd biggest issue is that there is a particular “main road” to get you from the camping areas to a bunch of trails that is long and slow because of a zillion rocks.

I guess if I were coming from a ways off I would think 2 days? I don’t know, this is a hard question to answer.

Reactions: Tob
The biggest issue is that there’s no map of the place, so I don’t even know what I haven’t seen yet. And the 2nd biggest issue is that there is a particular “main road” to get you from the camping areas to a bunch of trails that is long and slow because of a zillion rocks.

I guess if I were coming from a ways off I would think 2 days? I don’t know, this is a hard question to answer.

No map? Yikes, that would be a massive anxiety trigger for me.

No map? Yikes, that would be a massive anxiety trigger for me.

For sure. They have a “map” but it’s not remotely useful. Thankfully our crew knows the park pretty well so it ends up not being a big deal. There is only one spot we’ve found where we got in trouble, going forward was about 5 notches above our skill level, and turning around & going back up the hill was also hard. I think that trail was called “Schmidt’s Creek.” Other than that one, we haven’t seen much that wasn’t doable with our skill level.

But I’ve also seen videos from NTJC showing terrain I’ve never seen before, so I guess despite having been there 5 or 6 times I still haven’t seen it all.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I think that trail was called “Schmidt’s Creek.”

should be easy to remember...that's my last name.

Is there decent signage so you can at least know what you're getting into before starting down a trail?

When I was at the Jeep Jamboree at Hot Springs a few weeks ago, the organizers and some trail guides were talking about CrossBar since they are doing a Jeep Jamboree there this month. I was sitting at the table, but wasn't part of the discussion since I wasn't going to guide at Crossbar. But from what I remember overhearing they stated that their initial assessment of the park was that the trails are tight since they mainly see SxS traffic (tight meaning tree branches and vegetation) and that they were worried about it scratching up Jamboree attendee jeeps. They also mentioned the map issue. They also discussed that they were working with the park to make several trips there before the Jamboree to work on the trails, trim back tree limbs, and possibly do some mapping. So if they are going to put in the work for the jamboree and clean up the trails; this spring/summer may be a great time to hit up Crossbar.

Of course, this is all hearsay and third party info, I have never been there so I don't know.

Last edited:
When I was at the Jeep Jamboree at Hot Springs a few weeks ago, the organizers and some trail guides were talking about CrossBar since they are doing a Jeep Jamboree there this month. I was sitting at the table, but wasn't part of the discussion since I wasn't going to guide at Crossbar. But from what I remember overhearing they stated that their initial assessment of the park was that the trails are tight since they mainly see SxS traffic (tight meaning tree branches and vegetation) and that they were worried about it scratching up Jamboree attendee jeeps. They also mentioned the map issue. They also discussed that they were working with the park to make several trips there before the Jamboree to work on the trails, trim back tree limbs, and possibly do some mapping. So if they are going to put in the work for the jamboree and clean up the trails; this spring/summer may be a great time to hit up Crossbar.

Of course, this is all hearsay and third party info, I have never been there so I don't know.

good info!

The "trails intended for SxS's" is what my nightmare usually consists of....that I'll push too far into one and get into a pickle that I don't know how to get out of, like no room to turn around, too sketchy to back up, with rollover risk on both sides. I NEVER had that issue in Colorado.

There definitely are some tight squeezes, but the gladiator that rolls with us hasn't ever taken any damage. But limb risers can help etc. And there are a ton of SxSs out there, no denying that. I'm not aware of any trails that are "intended for SxS" but I'm not sure how much master planning goes on up there. Good to know about the upcoming Jamboree, we're planning to go up there in the next couple of weeks.

The only real rollover risk, outside of being stupid on normal obstacles, is what they call Rock Face. It's a huge stone "mountain" that has several paths up. We saw a SxS get wonky and ended up with a Care Flight coming to fetch him at the bottom of the hill.