Quirks of the 97 model

Mine was the same. We had the 3 pin pop on rubber cap that dries out and gets hard and won't stay on. I swapped to the later style connector with a repair connector and the later NSS. (it isn't the TCC connector and you're slightly confused, or I am)
The solenoid and Internal pass through connector is different.
97:
4A61DA97-F2DD-46A2-B9CB-44067F70155A.jpeg

Later years
757F1A54-0F0D-4A7B-A33E-46BF66083D4E.jpeg

Reactions: SSTJ
My vehicle speed sensor wiring(when adapting to super short sye) has different colors than on the JB manual and seen online.

White/orange, brown/yellow, purple/orange.

PXL_20211203_195437762.jpg

Is there a mid year split on the under hood PDC fuse and relay block? Mine snaps into the bracket with two fingers only on the inboard side, the outboard side is open. The later versions all have 4 fingers that that block snaps into, 2 inboard and 2 outboard.

I need a cover, all the ones I find for sale open from the side correctly but are not deep enough. They are also listed as 97-00 or 97-01 which is not accurate since the ones I bought do not work.

Not sure if this is a 97 only thing but My 97 Did not come with a Center console. it had a singular cup holder that was useless cuz it made it impossible to shift into second gear if I had anything in there.

I have a 95 YJ, I'm kinda curious if I can steal some stuff on it. I've been able to take an item or 2 from it. Used the wheels and tires for a bit too. I've got no idea when I'm going to have time to build that YJ. It's kinda funny the years of the more modern Jeeps I have with the 95 YJ, 96 Grand Cherokee and the 97 TJ.

Is there a mid year split on the under hood PDC fuse and relay block? Mine snaps into the bracket with two fingers only on the inboard side, the outboard side is open. The later versions all have 4 fingers that that block snaps into, 2 inboard and 2 outboard.

I need a cover, all the ones I find for sale open from the side correctly but are not deep enough. They are also listed as 97-00 or 97-01 which is not accurate since the ones I bought do not work.
Do you have a picture of what yours looks like? It may more closely match an XJ

Here's mine.

PXL_20211207_015206329.MP.jpg

PXL_20211207_015201017.jpg

Reactions: LittleTankTJ
Just so I get this right when I update the original post: is this a pic of your TJ or XJ?
It is a TJ, you can tell by the air box and fender lip that the hood shuts over. XJ has a flush hood that is essentially straight from firewall to grill.

Did 1996 TJs have a heater control valve and were they discontinued in 1997?

I ask because on an XJ that is what happened and it may have been a "Jeep thing" across the board. If you want to ditch the HCV on a pre97 XJ it's common to use 97+ heater hoses which were designed for no HCV.

EDIT: btw ... for XJs, 1996 is considered an oddball year. It was the last of the original body and interior style but it was also a change year for several mechanical, electrical, etc. items many of which carried on into the 1997 model.

Last edited:
Did 1996 TJs have a heater control valve and were they discontinued in 1997?

I ask because on an XJ that is what happened and it may have been a "Jeep thing" across the board. If you want to ditch the HCV on a pre97 XJ it's common to use 97+ heater hoses which were designed for no HCV.

EDIT: btw ... for XJs, 1996 is considered an oddball year. It was the last of the original body and interior style but it was also a change year for several mechanical, electrical, etc. items many of which carried on into the 1997 model.
1996 wrangler does not exist.

1996 wrangler does not exist.

Mine are 03 & 04 and I'm not very familiar with the early ones. I believe production began very early in 1996 and I've always found it odd that they were (I think) known as 97s.

So my question really is did the earliest of the TJs have heater control valves?

Last edited:
Yes they do.
The build date on my TJ is 01/96. Yes it was sold as a 1997 model but it was made in 1996.
I think he’s speaking in terms of year models, which he would be correct about, since there was no 96 model year. Because there were also tons of 95 YJs built in 96, but are also still 95s officially.