Radiator Fan Clutch Replacement

Kevin E

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
What's a good fan clutch for replacement? I'm getting a Mopar radiator but they don't have a mopar fan clutch. Checked wermopar.com and mymopar.com
Thanks

was the fan clutch bad that you had on? someone said on here i think if your going to do that, just go to an electric fan? I put on a flowcooler water pump, an at the time, i just went ahead an changed the fan clutch, but, the old one was still good, an i had the money to buy it, to get it over with. I just bought a local parts store one. I dont recall seeing that much of an upgrade for a higher grade one, that i can remember.

looks like hayden goes for less than 50 at summit:) now, if you want the jeep to stay oem, we get it. but, some aint got that kind of money. more power to ya, just make sure if you ever sell it, you can say you got the all oem parts, with the receipts. it is a good sellin point. even sometimes the parts guys at the dealership look at me an say, you might be able to find that 20 bolt at the autoparts store across the way. :) sometimes i look back an think, this bolt is the only oem part i can afford, i am buying it.......to help with that urge to want all oem parts. I couldnt afford to buy chrysler parts when i was hauling chrysler parts? i really dont know what these dealerships are thinkin, they bring down their prices just enough, that many more would be going in an buying all oem, an they could make up the profits in the extra sales they would do? One day i will get a management job:)

Last edited:
Reactions: swisscheezex
Thanks a bunch guy's . Mine broke loose from the fan and it punctured my radiator. Luckily I was at the store getting gas this morning. When I started her back up to go to work it came loose. Glad I wasn't on the highway doing 70mph!

Thanks a bunch guy's . Mine broke loose from the fan and it punctured my radiator. Luckily I was at the store getting gas this morning. When I started her back up to go to work it came loose. Glad I wasn't on the highway doing 70mph!

ya it sounds like you need one:) an make sure you dont strip the fan bolts putting a new one on. definitely if you change the water pump out. floocooler pump holes didnt match my bolts. but i read that right before i went to put them on, so when they didnt start threading in, i stopped......an got the right bolt sizes.

Recently had a heating issue - rip off dealership said bad thermostat so out a few $100 and still had heating issues. So, decided since the tax man didn't rob me this year to get a new radiator, hoses, belt, thermostat, water pump, idle pulley, and fan clutch. I think I got just about everything from Morris 4x4. It took me about 7-hrs (mostly because I didn't have the right tools) but my biggest headache was loosening the fan clutch bolts. I finally used a piece of chain (watched on youtube) and it worked out. Oh, the thermostat the rip off dealer installed - well it was covered with gasket material, one side was bent and the thermostat was actually canted in the housing. Yes, I took pictures as I took it apart and took everything down to them the next day. Service manager said - he's a good mechanic, not sure what happened. i'll have to take it to corporate to see if i can get you any refund. Like that'll happen. All said and done, if you have the $ and time, just do it all. My jeep had 82k on miles so I thought it wouldn't hurt. Runs on the highway with the a/c on at a steady 210.

I'm going to NAPA to see what they have.
Whatever fan clutch I bought two years ago came from Napa. I rented the tool, installed the clutch in their parking lot and immediately returned the tool.

2003 Rubicon

Whatever fan clutch I bought two years ago came from Napa. I rented the tool, installed the clutch in their parking lot and immediately returned the tool.

2003 Rubicon
This is what I love about TJs, you can fix it on the fly, so simple I'm telling ya!
And then we have Jerry B. and MrBlain on this forum if we mess up :)

That combo boozes my confidence, most enthusiasts are helpful, how could we go wrong?