Radiator fittings

Joeinnewjersey

TJ Enthusiast
Just installed a new radiator. Fittings were already on the radiator, and they are the same fittings that are on the trans hookups. I was able to unhook the trans hookups from the old radiator with a wrench. However, i can’t get the new fittings out with the same wrench in order to hook up the old ones. What size wrench do I need? Or is there a better way to do this?

A19AAD31-A9BE-48FA-BB78-43955F091392.jpeg

7537A87B-B253-463D-9BCB-96D74783EAFA.jpeg

7A0F826A-C1A7-416C-B61E-B992091466B5.jpeg

I think you have an earlier TJ radiator. I don't know if the fittings are interchangeable. Even if they are I wouldn't use too much force to remove the ones off the new radiator if they didn't come off easily to begin with.

I think you have an earlier TJ radiator. I don't know if the fittings are interchangeable. Even if they are I wouldn't use too much force to remove the ones off the new radiator if they didn't come off easily to begin with.

Just went through this with a buddies TJ. He had a 2004 that came stock with the barbs. Autoparts store sold him a 2005/2006 radiator with the clip style fittings. The barbed fittings and the clip style were not interchangeable. (Different thread on the fittings into the radiator). We discovered this before we installed the radiator. He had to take back the radiator and get one for a 2004.

Just went through this with a buddies TJ. He had a 2004 that came stock with the barbs. Autoparts store sold him a 2005/2006 radiator with the clip style fittings. The barbed fittings and the clip style were not interchangeable. (Different thread on the fittings into the radiator). We discovered this before we installed the radiator. He had to take back the radiator and get one for a 2004.
Same ends.

18A3DCEE-F736-4655-87F8-49A7C7F7727F.jpeg

You have two different kinds of radiators.

The one in the first pic, you have to remove that little spring clip that is inserted from the left. When you do, the metal tube comes out of that fitting.

You new radiator is designed to have a rubber hose just slipped over that fitting and clamped on.

You can return the radiator and get the proper kind to match the end of your hose/tube. Pull the line out of the old radiator, but a small piece of hose on the end and put the other end on your new radiator.

You have two different kinds of radiators.

The one in the first pic, you have to remove that little spring clip that is inserted from the left. When you do, the metal tube comes out of that fitting.

You new radiator is designed to have a rubber hose just slipped over that fitting and clamped on.

You can return the radiator and get the proper kind to match the end of your hose/tube. Pull the line out of the old radiator, but a small piece of hose on the end and put the other end on your new radiator.

i didn’t want to take out the new radiator so I went out and purchased some hose and clamped the lines together.

568953CE-949D-43CB-A3B6-55DE3375DB23.jpeg

i didn’t want to take out the new radiator so I went out and purchased some hose and clamped the lines together.

View attachment 197065

I don't blame you, that's what I would have done.

Mine has actually been like that for 3-1/2 years. Long story short, needed a new radiator a few days before a trip. only thing in stock locally was a store brand one for an older one with barbed fittings. Cut the end off of the metal line, attached hose, hooked up to radiator. Made my week long trip with no problems.

I rebuild my entire cooling system back in November and took the Advance Auto Parts radiator out and put in my attic as a spare. Put in a MOPAR radiator with the barbed fittings and connected it all back the same way.

This exact thing happened to me with my 04. Super frustrating but won't forget the hose fitting varieties ever again...