Radiator flush out ?????

Frank

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
On my 2005 TJ the radiator has a not quite sure what color antifreeze in it, pinkish green if possible. What is best antifreeze to use in it and is there a best way to flush it out as much as possible? If mine is the pink kind, I have never liked it in anything I have ever had but if it is best for a wrangler then so be it. Looking for Chris or Jerry or some of the other experts with their excellent advice.

Most will recommend ZEREX G-05 Antifreeze/Coolant for your Jeep, either in a 50-50 pre-mix or full strength mixed with distilled water.

Reactions: Frank
X2 to TJ4Jim's advice.

So far as a flush goes, I just drain the radiator via its spigot and then fill it with hose water and while keeping the hose running, run the engine until the fluid coming out of the spigot is pure water. Then I let it all drain out and after closing the spigot, refill it with a fresh fill of a slightly stronger mix distilled water/Zerex G-05 so it's maybe 60% G-05 to compensate for the water left in the cooling system that didn't drain out. You can check and adjust the specific mixture so it's close enough to 50:50 with an inexpensive coolant hydrometer available at any auto parts store.

Technically speaking the TJ's cooling system is self-burping (gets rid of its own air) so just make sure to keep an eye on the coolant level for a day or two and top it off as needed to insure its level ends up where it should be.

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind is that the color of the coolant is no guarantee as to its type or what it is compatible with. That's just a dye that is added and there's no color standard that the coolant manufacturers adhere to.

Reactions: Stinger and Frank